The best book on cruising......

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: The best book on cruising......

Post by JoanneB »

I see it's now Number 1 best seller in cruise travel books!!

Will you still talk to us when you are rich as well as famous :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/ ... ef=sr_bs_1

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

and top of the wish-list list too
Meg
x

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thank you ladies. :-). It's all due to it being the Kindle Daily Deal last week and I'm amazed it's still number one. Lovely while it lasts though.

Amazon were dead right re the 99p buyers being the harshest critics though - My reviews on Amazon have been getting worse all week. One lady told me I need to learn the correct way of using the verb "to sit". Oops!
Last edited by Dennis The Menace on 16 Jul 2014, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

So there you were sat with your G&T and waving your middle finger at her?

Don't worry unduly, DTM - she cared enough to comment
Meg
x

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

I think you'll find I was sitting with my G&T Meg ;)

But according to her only other review, she hated 50 Shades of Grey as much as mine - so maybe I should be tapping up the "ladies wanting a little titillation in their literature" market :o

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
ok, I guessed the wrong conjugation (for which I am truly grateful cos I hate " I was sat" )
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

99p :shock:

I paid top whack thinking that I would read it during our barge cruise ... but I was far too busy :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

lynden
Cadet
Cadet

Post by lynden »

I bought a paper copy from amazon and read it on my recent cruise on aurora. Really enjoyed book. It was easy to dip in and out of. Good read. Left it in the library on board for others to enjoy
lynden

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Thank you ladies. :-). It's all due to it being the Kindle Daily Deal last week and I'm amazed it's still number one. Lovely while it lasts though.

Amazon were dead right re the 99p buyers being the harshest critics though - My reviews on Amazon have been getting worse all week. One lady told me I need to learn the correct way of using the verb "to sit". Oops!
I think you are being very gracious with the use of the word 'lady' Den :roll:

It never impresses me when anyone is picked up on their 'grammar' at the end of the day as long as we can follow the gist of things .. what does it matter !!!

For one reason or another it has taken me weeks to read this book, I read about two thirds of it the day I received it and was totally hooked, I think DTM was very brave to allow us all into his private life, I may not have met him but feel as if I know him as many others do so I find that even braver, I have finally finished reading it in the last couple of days ( so will review it on Amazon shortly ) what can I say other than it was a superb read, funny, sad, gripping, at times I laughed out loud, other times I cried because here is such a lovely person and doesn't deserve the cards that have been dealt, gripping because I really wanted it to have a happy ending !!

Maybe not the ending I would have liked but Rich and Mandy you have so much in each other and whatever the future holds you will face it together with the love that shone through in your book.

Well done Rich for letting Mandy have the 'last word' .. I love a man who knows his place :lol: :lol:
Jo

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

99p Dennis ?????

I paid the full three quid !!!!

Outrageous !

Sort it out P&O !

Another example of standards slipping ;) ;)
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Manoverboard wrote:
99p :shock: \
\
I paid top whack thinking that I would read it during our barge cruise ... but I was far too busy
\
barney wrote:
99p Dennis ?????

I paid the full three quid !!!!

Outrageous !

Sort it out P&O !

Another example of standards slipping ;) ;)
Sorry Moby and Barney, it was Amazon that did the 99p day - I did point out to them that you two would be far from happy but they went on regardless ;)

I would have liked to offer it at 99p for longer but now it's been a "daily deal" I don't seem to be able to do that for a period :crazy:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Meg 50 wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
ok, I guessed the wrong conjugation (for which I am truly grateful cos I hate " I was sat" )
And I thinked I done well withs me grammar :sarcasm:

although I did get help from a lady with a degree in English Language Structure (or something like that!)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thank you on both counts Lynden, I'm really pleased you liked it and over the moon it found it's way into the library - I did try to donate a copy to each of the 7 libraries but they told me they only took hardbacks. That said, you're the third person who has done that now and it seems to have worked each time. Thank you.

If you get a chance, would you mind doing a review on Amazon - just a few words (you could even cut and paste your post above if easier) would be great. It's just, since the 99p day (which was great), I've had a number of negative ones so it would be great to redress the balance a bit by someone who enjoyed it :)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Dancing Queen wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:

I think you are being very gracious with the use of the word 'lady' Den

It never impresses me when anyone is picked up on their 'grammar' at the end of the day as long as we can follow the gist of things .. what does it matter !!!

For one reason or another it has taken me weeks to read this book, I read about two thirds of it the day I received it and was totally hooked, I think DTM was very brave to allow us all into his private life, I may not have met him but feel as if I know him as many others do so I find that even braver, I have finally finished reading it in the last couple of days ( so will review it on Amazon shortly ) what can I say other than it was a superb read, funny, sad, gripping, at times I laughed out loud, other times I cried because here is such a lovely person and doesn't deserve the cards that have been dealt, gripping because I really wanted it to have a happy ending !!

Maybe not the ending I would have liked but Rich and Mandy you have so much in each other and whatever the future holds you will face it together with the love that shone through in your book.

Well done Rich for letting Mandy have the 'last word' .. I love a man who knows his place :lol:
Oh yes, I know my place Jo (Mand tells me it often enough ;) )

Thanks so much for your kind comments, and well done for finishing it - it goes on a bit ! ;)

As for grammar, if that lady thinks my written stuff is bad, she best not meet me face to face anytime soon - combined with me sounding like a worzel, I reckon she'd have a coronary ;)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If that's all she has to worry about she's a lucky lady and best ignored DTM.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You should of checked what you writ with someone what knows about stuff. I could of learned you loads. I could of borrowed you me dickshunry two. :crazy:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Wiv ritin like that I am finkin ov puttin merv the swerv darn four the CC bukker prize. but i fink he speld dickshunry rong. It shud av too c's and no k................... i fink. :roll:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Cheers fellas - as far as I know the grammar lady herself has written precisely "nuffink" (as we like to say in literary circles ;). ), but I assume that if she writes a book it will be completely error free :)

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Cheers fellas - as far as I know the grammar lady herself has written precisely "nuffink" (as we like to say in literary circles ;). ), but I assume that if she writes a book it will be completely error free :)
course it'll be perfect cos we all know she's a close rellie of Mary Poppins!
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Corset will Den.

Did I menshun I went ter grammer skool by the weigh?

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Ha ha :lol:

Phew, had a couple of lovely reviews with no grammatical advice offered ! :thumbup:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Ere, turns out I ain't quite as fick as some might makes out !

My little book is now stocked on them there Cunard ships me lovers - all bleeding 3 of 'em :D

I's dead posh me :lol:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Ere, turns out I ain't quite as fick as some might makes out !

My little book is now stocked on them there Cunard ships me lovers - all bleeding 3 of 'em :D

I's dead posh me :lol:

Well done, Den. Hope sales generate enough royalties to fund at least a cruise a month. Any sign of an on-board speaking engagement yet? Is your agent on the ball?

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks K :)

Dancing Queen will be selling me to the highest bidder at one of her upcoming balcony parties. Gulp. :wtf:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Cunard you says, hmmm that's dead posh that is :clap:

Shudd do well praps me thinx, likes a bit a ruff them there Cunnard sorts :thumbup:

:wtf:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”