The Cruise Ship on ITV

Anything about Princess cruises

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: The Cruise Ship on ITV

Post by oldbluefox »

Thank goodness it's not P&O otherwise Facebook would be on fire by now.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Not quite as bad as some have painted it, certainly the main characters seem to be hamming it up a lot, probably at the request of the programme producer, I doubt they are as hyper off camera, only Kelly from the spa seems normal so far.
However the programme does seem to be aimed at the level of Essex man/woman, rather than your average P&O cruiser.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

I've never seen people behave like that on any cruise. It's totally hammed up and not real, err well at least I don't think it's real, but maybe that's how it is on Princess?

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

whyohwhyohwhyohwhy
... choose cruises out of Florida, populated mainly by North Americans intent on 'partying'? US short cruises are notorious in this respect

I agree that Princess have done themselves absolutely no favours and may even harm the ex-UK cruise market growth ... or conversely may hasten any move towards the much-feared 'Butlins at sea'

I have sailed Princess twice; the first a 4 nighter ex Southampton which was almost completely British, the second a one week Iberian cruise, immediately after Emerald had come transatlantic and which had brought a fair contingent of US passengers who stayed on. Other than hearing accents, and possibly a few more people grasping coffee-on-the-go, you wouldn't have known. If price and itinerary were comparable I would find it difficult to chose whether to go P&O or Princess. If (as is the case) only Princess offered a particular itinerary, I would not hesitate

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I watched last week and I wouldn't waste my time watching any more :o

I have never been on a Princess ship but know people that have who go back time and time again so I don't think it will be anything like what is being portrayed in this programme.
Jo

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Maybe it is a cunning ploy to discourage UK passengers from cruising Princess in favour of P&O where they make a bigger profit margin cos of 'rip off britain' !!!!

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Unfortunately we seem to 'import' some utter rubbish from America - food, tv programmes etc. I just hope Carnival don't assume that we would want this type of utter rubbish on a British ship - sexy legs competitions/belly flop competitions - yuk, no thank you. Rather worryingly, I found the assistant director on Royal Princess almost as irritating as the one on Arcadia recently and they even wore the same style glasses - perhaps they come with the job! :lol:

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

There is, of course, another point of view which is that this is "normal" cruising in the cruising world and that which we to perceive as normal is anything but - just a thought!

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

david63 wrote:
There is, of course, another point of view which is that this is "normal" cruising in the cruising world and that which we to perceive as normal is anything but - just a thought!
We'd rather stick with our idea of 'normal' no matter how boring others consider it.

From a practising Mrs Grump AKA Maureen.

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

We watched again and will most probably see the series out.

I think there are main 3 problems with the program; it is try too hard to show it as a fun fun fun ship. Then you have it swapping from one area to another with no correlation between the areas they are showing, finally, and this may seem strange, it is too short, a half hour is not long enough. If they made it an hour they could show more of the ship, crew, passengers and destinations. But at the moment it is all about characters and not the ship itself and it is not working.

I do not know what Princess feel they are getting out of this program; it definitely does not show them or cruising, in a good light. We know better on how a cruise ship operates and the life on board and there are people out there who have never cruised before, who have now watched this program; most probably will now never think of cruising and will not know what they are missing out on, shame really.

If we had seen this before we had started cruising we would never have stepped foot on a ship.
Regards

Peter

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We are watching it because it is so bad, had to tell bruv who is thinking of taking his first cruise that this is not cruising, not as we know it.

"I don't believe it"

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Welshie is going on Oceana for her honeymoon, her fiance has never cruised before. She's not going to let him watch this series in case it puts him off.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
... in case it puts him off.
Marrying her, cruising or both? :lol:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

david63 wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
... in case it puts him off.
Marrying her, cruising or both? :lol:

:clap: :thumbup:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I've just been looking at the Princess section on Cruise Critic where there is a long thread about the programme - makes interesting reading. It sounds as though the Americans who can view the series - not all can - are as horrified as we are. I thought last night was just boring - as for Dan the Deputy Cruise Director, well just don't let him move to P&O!

Carole

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

that's it, I missed it and now I don't think I'll bother to look for it on catch up ( or whatever the ITV online equivalent is called).
Meg
x

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I only watched it again because my good mate OBF was otherwise engaged....

Foxy...'It was 'crap' don't even think about hitting the play back button.

Peter... l think you make three valid points....but oh dear, what was that...'HOLLY wood YOU' all about?

Well folks.....with programs like this we can all look forward to great cruising deals next year.

Regards

Keith

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

I am sticking with Saga - make no mistake about that
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Onelife wrote:
I only watched it again because my good mate OBF was otherwise engaged....

Foxy...'It was 'cr*p' don't even think about hitting the play back button.

Peter... l think you make three valid points....but oh dear, what was that...'HOLLY wood YOU' all about?

Well folks.....with programs like this we can all look forward to great cruising deals next year.

Regards

Keith

Keith
The deals will be there irrespective, as the Smokers in droves are choosing alternative vacations :-D

Ray

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Did anyone hear them say that Dan the Man, deputy cruise director was previously a Red Coat, or what ever they are called, with Pontins Holiday Camp. Apparently for years.

Nuf said. :roll:
Jay

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

jay-ell71 wrote:
Did anyone hear them say that Dan the Man, deputy cruise director was previously a Red Coat, or what ever they are called, with Pontins Holiday Camp. Apparently for years.

Nuf said. :roll:

In my day we were called Bluecoats :-D

Ray

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Oh thanks for letting me know the correct terminology. :thumbup: Dan was certainly giving us a good imitation of a Bluecoat.
Jay

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Quite enjoyed the prog
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Just watched it and Keefy is right. It's cringeworthy even without the delectable Mandy!!! It does Princess no favours whatsoever.

Scamp1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Scamp1 »

The whole point about TV "documentary" programs like this is that if they showed it how it really is on a cruise it would be so boring! :lol:
Hence the over-the-top situations and characters.
M

Return to “Princess”