The Cruise Ship on ITV

Anything about Princess cruises

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Cruise Ship on ITV

Post by david63 »

I wonder what "input" the cruise line have with the final programme.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

david63 wrote:
I wonder what "input" the cruise line have with the final programme.
If it's anything like when I was filmed for Heir Hunters, no say whatsoever
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:

Unless I've missed something, the UK is a destination, they don't do cruises from here.
they do sail from the UK - or at least Emerald does - I'm guarding the house of friends who return to Soton from the Baltic on Emerald later today
Meg
x

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Silver_Shiney wrote:

Is that the programme about people who have lost a toupee :?: :lolno:

Ray
Last edited by Ray Scully on 12 Jul 2014, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

the programme was grim.

OH picked up on someone with an open necked shirt on formal night..

I commented that the perks given to elite passengers ( laundry ) meant they brought in all their stuff mucky for a free wash, and the 'suits clearly had no idea of the impact of this perk on ship's services
Meg
x

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Meg 50 wrote:
the programme was grim.

I commented that the perks given to elite passengers ( laundry ) meant they brought in all their stuff mucky for a free wash, and the 'suits clearly had no idea of the impact of this perk on ship's services

Perhaps some Elite members where offering half price laundry to non Elite members ;)

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

next week (quote from RT):
2/4. Cruise director Sam faces stiff competition from her power-hungry deputy Dan, who sets about creating a new game show on board the Royal Princess in an attempt to outdo his superior. But will his gamble pay off? Meanwhile, as spa worker Kelly struggles to adjust to life at sea, the ship's mother hen Liz offers comfort and encouragement to the new girl. Narrated by John Thomson.
Meg
x

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Meg 50 wrote:

I'm taking the formal night scenes with a pinch of salt. For all we know, they shot some generic 'evening scenes' and used that footage to represent formal nights

Likewise with Mandy, that probably picked her because she was larger than life and likely to be annoying. If they picked someone normal, they think it wouldn't be half as interesting. I'm not going to let one person (possibly planted) colour my view of Princess passengers and Princess Cruises in general.

But I felt sorry for Mandy's husband, he clearly wasn't comfortable
Gill

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Ray Scully wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:

Is that the programme about people who have lost a toupee :?: :lolno:

Ray

are you wigging me?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Meg 50 wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:

Unless I've missed something, the UK is a destination, they don't do cruises from here.
they do sail from the UK - or at least Emerald does - I'm guarding the house of friends who return to Soton from the Baltic on Emerald later today
The Ruby Princess is also sailing from the UK this summer, and Princess will have 2 ships sailing from Southampton in 2015.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

........I'm taking the formal night scenes with a pinch of salt. For all we know, they shot some generic 'evening scenes' and used that footage to represent formal nights.......

They seemed to mix up Captains Welcome party with canapés, and dancing in the atrium. Those two things don't happen together, at the same time. So you are exactly right Gill.
Jay

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It was a bad a programme as I expected it to be.

They just don't seem able to make a documentary about cruising as we have experienced it.

I'll still tune in for the next three though ;)
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Let's face it, if they portrayed cruising as it really is, would it make compulsive viewing? Programme makers nowadays always want to portray their subject as something wild and eccentric. I think we may be wrong in thinking the programme would be factual and would portray cruising as it really is.
Having watched the Fred Olsen series and now started on this one, if I didn't know better, it would scare me off cruising for ever. Who, in their right mind would want to spend their holidays cooped up in some sort of surreal asylum?

Why don't they show normal(ish) people like cornmillgirl, Carole, Michele and Frank Manning? (and others on here I have yet to meet!!) :lol: :thumbup: :wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Well one things for sure you'll never get tbe onelife clan stepping foot on something that looks like a container ship no matter how they dress it up.

This program will do Princes cruises no favours, indeed the whole cruise industry must be cringing having watched this unmitigated PR disaster. If l was a 'young' prospective first time cruiser this program would have put me off cruising for life.

Edited or not Mandy along with her squeak squeak husband would do my head in.

It looked to me like the whole ship could have done with some children running around in an attempt to wake up the walking dead.

Rubbish program!!

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote:
Let's face it, if they portrayed cruising as it really is, would it make compulsive viewing? Programme makers nowadays always want to portray their subject as something wild and eccentric. I think we may be wrong in thinking the programme would be factual and would portray cruising as it really is.
Having watched the Fred Olsen series and now started on this one, if I didn't know better, it would scare me off cruising for ever. Who, in their right mind would want to spend their holidays cooped up in some sort of surreal asylum?

Why don't they show normal(ish) people like cornmillgirl, Carole, Michele and Frank Manning? (and others on here I have yet to meet!!) :lol: :thumbup: :wave:
I suppose we could always nominate Stephen, Keefy Onelife and Dark Knight for the next series - oh no, I've just noticed you said normal(ish) people.

Maureen

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You had me worried for a moment Maureen. By nominating them I would have had to include you, just for nominating them!!! :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Kenmo1 wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

I suppose we could always nominate Stephen, Keefy Onelife and Dark Knight for the next series - oh no, I've just noticed you said normal(ish) people.

Maureen
Now I don't want to make Batty too big headed, but I have shared a cruise with him and Lady Dark and would prefer to repeat that experience than spend 30 seconds with that vet and her husband! Mind you, he looked as if he felt the same.

But it is true what everyone says. They edit the programme for entertainment, rather than facts, and choose the most bizarre people to make that happen.

It's just a shame that several of the things in the voiceover showed they actually know little about the subject. I know it's a bit nerdy but it went downhill for me when early on they said that 120,000 tons (or thereabouts) of steel had gone into building the ship. NO IT DIDN'T. I won't bother with the engineering dissertation on the various "weights" used in defining ships, suffice to say that if a ship the size of Royal Princess actually weighed 120,000 tons it would sink!

cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

oldbluefox wrote:

I am glad to see you consider me "normalish" OBF :sarcasm:

Just watched this programme myself, if I had never cruised and saw this programme, cruising would not be an option.
The Mandy woman would do my head in, fancy having to sit with her at dinner. The ship itself looks a block of flats, not for me.

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

I am just watching this programme. It's absolutely awful, completely naff. If I had never cruised, this would definitely be a turn off. It's just gross. :sick:

The Cruise Director has just said " This is the honeypot and I am the mother bee". I think I'm going to throw up.

cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

lioness wrote:
I am just watching this programme. It's absolutely awful, completely naff. If I had never cruised, this would definitely be a turn off. It's just gross. :sick:

The Cruise Director has just said " This is the honeypot and I am the mother bee". I think I'm going to throw up.
I could not agree more Lioness, if I saw this before we cruised years ago, I would never have got Popeye the Sailorman (OH) on
board.

It shows cruising in the worst possible light bl**dy awful. I just hope P&O do not go down the Princess route!

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Just when you think it can't get any worse it does! Our last cruise with Princess 20 months ago was nothing like this and we are hoping our next one in September isn't like this programme is portraying. Princess are doing themselves no favours by taking part in this, we had an email this morning reminding us it was on tonight! Oh dear!!
Doreen.

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

It's mind-blowingly crass and awful. We are watching them lift the Costa Concordia - at least that's real.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We missed the programme tonight but after what you have all said I can't wait to catch up.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Would Butlins at Sea be a good description?

cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

david63 wrote:
Would Butlins at Sea be a good description?
Isn't that an insult to Butlins? I am surprised that Princess have allowed it to be aired, it shows their product in a very bad light.

Return to “Princess”