Azura to the fiords - June 1 2014

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Azura to the fiords - June 1 2014

Post by sunseeker16 »

Hello again. Have you missed me? Something happened with my login/password way back (I notice my last post was Sept 2013), I couldn't get in or make contact, so went off in a strop! Found the site again, by accident, just now, asked for a password reminder/change and it went like clockwork, so here I am

A review of our most recent cruise.

Sunday - Embarkation Day
Our first time back on Azura and P&O since April 2013 – we wondered what changes we would notice. The embarkation time was a bit of a shock – initially 3.30pm, which felt far too tight. Then our cabin notification came through and we noticed that the time had come back to 2pm, which felt a bit more civilized and less stressy. Anyway, the brief window available at the kennels to drop the dog and cats meant that, unless we deliberately took a detour, or stopped for a coffee (where?) we would be early. We decided just to turn up and see what happened – the worst they could do would be to send us away, though as OH pointed out, CPS don't know your embarkation time and it should make no difference to them what time you arrive, as they have contracted to accommodate your vehicle anyway. The road works are interesting. I think I can see what they intend to do, which (I think) is to add a lane for cruise/dock traffic. However, it's a bit chaotic near Dock Gate 20, the signs weren't helpful and the sat nav had a headache and didn't help at all. So, having overshot, found an appropriate place to turn (just like everyone else in the line of cars!), retraced our steps and found the obvious entrance, we were waved through by the man at the sentry box and directed to a space right at the front of the handover line, just steps from the terminal entrance. We thought that boded well for the cruise! It was about 12 noon as we got to the top of the escalator; the waiting area wasn't very busy and we were handed K embarcation cards. They were just calling G. We knew it wouldn't be long, so we found a couple of seats, I went off to the ladies and, sure enough, hadn't been back more than a few minutes when we were called forward. The usual friendly efficient check in, with no mention of the fact that we were technically very early. Off to the security snake, which was also fairly quick. I think there are more machines/lines there than I remember from last time. And so ... onto the ship. We had been allocated a B deck midships inside cabin - a very good deal as we only booked 4 or 5 weeks previously, at the lowest price I ever saw this trip advertised. We crept in and dropped our hand luggage – the cabin was completely ready, we wouldn't have interfered if not. So, despite our plans to lunch out in Southampton, we found ourselves in the buffet with our salad and glass of wine at 12.40. Hoorah! The cruise has really started! It was a lovely day, so we were able to linger on deck till the call came that cabins were ready, at exactly 2pm. So, we returned, legally :). Our dinner card was there. Peninsular restaurant, table of 6, so far so good, second sitting 8.45pm. Not so good, at all. We larks simply don't like eating so late. However, we had decided that we would stick to our allocation, just to have the experience and either confirm we didn't like it or, conversely, suprise ourselves and find that we loved it.
Our two big cases arrived very early but there was no sign of the 3rd little (carry off) one. A walk around led us to finding it among the waifs and strays near the reception desk. It had lost its plastic wallet cruise label, which I know lots of us have got :( So – perhaps they are not as robust as we would wish. I had attached it properly but it was completely missing – must have got torn off in the transfer
So, an uneventful sailaway on a lovely afternoon. The welcome back champagne vouchers were among the documents waiting for us in the cabin so it would have been rude not to!
We decided we couldn't wait till 9 o clock to eat tonight, so were at Verona shortly after it opened and were seated at a lovely window table with views of Fawley as we enjoyed our meal. I can't remember what we had – that's the problem with Verona, unless you go for a sizzler or lava rock the food is pretty bog standard Italian restaurant chain fare. Perfectly nice, well cooked and presented but nothing memorable.
However, we finished in good time to get the the first sitting of the Headliners first show. They were very good – as good as I have seen, I think.
Then a good walk round to get our bearings again. Having been on Emerald Princess (amost exactly the same layout etc) 3 weeks earlier, we thought Azura didn't compare well in many aspects, both in the dark wood panelling in the lift lobbies and stairwells, and particularly in some of the fabric such as stair carpeting and seats in Planet Bar.

Monday – Sea Day
Another lovely day. The free stretch class was at 7.30 each morning, so that was another victim to the curse of the 2nd sitting dinner. No way would I go to bed after midnight and be in the gym at 7.30 next morning – it is a holiday after all!
Lots of films available throughout the day, cookery demonstration, port talks and guest speaker Gervaise Phinn. Wonderful! Don't miss him if you find yourself on a cruise with him; I gather he is quite a regular.
So, a lazy day and the first formal night. Finally, 8.30-ish arrived and we made our way to Peninsular, eager to meet our table companions. There were none :( There were a good number of empty or sparse tables. The maitre D came over and asked if we would like to be moved. We said yes and so he said we'd move over about 3 tables, tomorrow, to another table for 6 where there was only one couple. Fine. The meal was very good and the service excellent. We finished at a strange time which didn't seem to fit well with any of the entertainment on offer but we did get to the theatre to see tenor Ben Makisi with his repertoire of classical, contemporary and traditional songs.

Tuesday – Bergen
We had booked the walking tour, meet on the quayside @ 9.50. No chance. A chaotic disembarkation, with a short system failure and a chronic lack of 'crowd control' as passengers arrived from stairs and lifts and and all signs of an orderly queue melted away. Anyway, once we got off we met our guide and hopped on the coach which took us ... to the dock gates! :) It was a walking tour after all. A glorious day and we had a lovely time seeing the sights and hearing the history, concluding with a trip on the funicular. I'm so glad it was a good day – it would have been a lot less fun if it had been raining. The view from the top was lovely and Azura looked hardly any distance away. After seeing ourselves back from the funicular we looked around the town a bit and got back too late for lunch, so had fish n chips from the deck grill. I've had worse, and they went down well with a nice Crabbies with ice in the sunshine.
Dinner – on our own again – and the dining room even more empty than previously. Good food. I like the new plated system
There was a Robbie Williams tribute act and the second Headliners show but our timing was all wrong so we saw neither

Wednesday – Gerainger
We hadn't been to this port before. It is lovely, teeny tiny but beautiful. A nice walk filled the morning well, then lunch on board and a quiet afternoon. The sailaway was the only time there was rain during the whole cruise. We retreated to Planet Bar and had glorious views of the fiord as we sailed on. The rain only lasted less than an hour.
Dinner – 6 on the table! Good fun, they were nice company. Booked for Sindhu for Saturday (last night)
Entertainment – Mark Newsome "An award winning singer comedian and pianist..." apparently. Well, he was a very good pianist, an OK singer but an awful comedian. He appeared to have very little human warmth and many many people walked out (much to his scorn and derision). If we had been at the end of a row we would have gone too.

Thursday – Flam
Just as we remembered it, and having no excursions booked we were able to stroll off in our own time and pick up a walking map and do a nice morning ramble past the waterfall. Back past the new brewery and then in to the brewery bar in the village centre. We splashed out on their tasting tray of 5 draught beers (135 Kroner – eek!), then had a normal glass of each of our favourites. That led to a lazy afternoon on deck and I think I may have dropped off for a second or two :)
Dinner for 4 was very nice and then Ray Turner, in Manhattan. His act was very similar to Mark Newsome the previous night, yet their stage personae were like chalk and cheese. Ray Turner was warm and engaging where the other one was sour and sardonic.

Friday – Stavanger
Another beautiful warm and sunny day. We took a route we'd not found before and walked round the lake then out past the police station and finally around the cemetery and to a marina where we sat and enjoyed the sun and watched the world go by.
This was Great British Sailaway day and we followed the music from near the Retreat. Leon de ste Croix as Cruise Director was his usual ebullient self and got the party going with a swing! The sailout through the archipelago was truly beautiful and we reamained on deck till about 7. Then a dash to scrub up for dinner (for 4). The Black and White night, with interesting interpretations of that phrase. Very good dinner. Too late and too early for the entertainment (Ben Makisi again or Robbie Williams and Neil Diamond). We are quite sure that second sitting is not for us. Btw, I heard one passenger telling another that she had changed her party's time, no problem, so I don't think the alocation is set in stone, at least for now.

Saturday – at sea, in the North Sea
The sea was quiet and calm but the day was unexciting, with a high temperature of about 13C, preventing any sunbathing.
Gervaise Phinn gave his second talk. Manhattan was full to the rafters.
We went to Sindhu at the civilised hour of 7pm Joy! It was as good as we remembered, both in terms of menu and service. It is £20pp on a 7 day cruise, which I think is just about the limit of the supplement I would be happy to pay. Perhaps I am being mean?

Sunday – disembarkation
It was a glorious morning in Southampton. We had opted for the 8.30 disembarkation and that went very smoothly. Blue Bar/Glass House for waiting and the officer came along about five past eight to invite us to follow him to the gangway. We had collected our cases and were at the car by 8.30, so no complaints there.

All in all a really good cruise – really good. We remembered all the things we like about P&O and think, overall, that standads have improved since last time. A grumble over the chaotic disembarkation at Bergen and the ongoing niggle over dining time (though it was our choice to stick to it) Judging by the emptiness of the dining room they may need to look at what can be done to get more people happily eating. We didn't make much use of the buffet and never in the evenings, so I don't know how things were up there. Passengers seemed generally happy – I didn't tune in to any major moans

I'm sure I've forgotten or omitted lots so if anyone has a question I'll try to answer

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura to the fiords - June 1 2014

Post by Gill W »

Hi, welcome back to the board!

Glad you had a nice cruise - it was a nice reminder of our Azura cruise last September.

Neil Oliver was our CD, but we had Leon on Arcadia, and he does know how to whip up a party

With regard to the empty dining room - maybe now is the time for 100% freedom dining, and do away with club altogether, at least on one ship to give it a trial
Gill

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

That's an interesting suggestion Gill. Probably a step too far, or it would be for some people. I think it's really nice for solo travellers to be able to chose Club Dining but, with all the IT at their fingertips, you would think it would be possible for the ships to do something towards meeting the dining preferences of the great majority of passengers

Thanks for the welcome back!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome back sunseeker. When it's a while until your next cruise it's refreshing to catch up on places you have visited in the past and to glean new ideas. Thanks for sharing your cruise with us.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks SS, enjoyed that :)

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”