Oceana balconies

Discussions about anything related to Oceana

Topic author
Bunion
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Oceana balconies

Post by Bunion »

Am I confused or are the balconies on Oceana all under cover (in shade) or is it just the picture I have? They all seem to be a bit cavelike..... We are used to balconies on Ventura and Azura, do any of the other ships have 'normal' balconies (apart from Arcadia which we know) ?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Oceana balconies

Post by towny44 »

Oceana's balconies are cut out of the ships side and do not have "glass" panels like Azura, Ventura and Arcadia. Aurora does have one deck of glass fronted balconies but also 2 decks with similar cut out balconies to Oceana, Britannia will have glass fronted balconies but they are much smaller than those on Azura/Ventura.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

They are cut out style Bunion but still very useable

The real down side is that when sitting, you cannot see the sea.

Still nice for sunbathing when the sun is in the right place and eating your lunch on a nice day.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Bunion
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Bunion »

Thank you both for informative replies. I think we may stick to one of the ships with glass-fronted balconies as it's quite important to us that we see the sea - so relaxing! However if Oceana has an itinerary which really appeals we may change our minds. The rest of Oceana looks lovely to us.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

One the plus side, the semi enclosed nature of Oceana's balconies does give more protection from wind and/or rain if the weather is less than optimal. I have also found that the glass fronting to balconies is often 'frosted' by dried salt spray, and you cannot then see much through it. Give me the old-fashioned rails any day: - though I have to admit the glass ones are safer if you have young kids.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Rails! Ah, the bliss of sticking your feet out through the rails and enjoying the breeze to cool you down in warmer climates!!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

wolfie wrote:
Rails! Ah, the bliss of sticking your feet out through the rails and enjoying the breeze to cool you down in warmer climates!!
I like to do exactly that - it's like stretching your arm out of the car window when travelling, a lovely, cooling breeze.
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I concur with the others

They are cut out but still very useable
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Other than allowing a little more light onto your balcony and perhaps an extra hour of sun on your legs l can't see what a glass balconey has over a closed balcony. Unlees you are a migit you will be having to strain your neck to look through the glass and even if you are prepared to do that you get a distorted view due to sea salt accumulation.

On the occasions l have looked through the glass it tends to make me feel sea sick.

Regards

OL

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Trish tends to prefer the cut out ones. She sometimes feels a bit vulnerable with the glass ones, despite my reassurance that the glass is very tough.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

It's not something I have thought about in any depth but I recall our trip through the Panama Canal on Oceana, where we had glorious sights to see every minute of the trip and I don't ever recall being frustrated by the design of the balcony.

Similarly we were extremely fortunate to be visited by the upgrade fairy on one trip which was scheduled to be 'budget' and went from inside to balcony(!) on Azura, the balcony being one of only half a dozen or so metal fronted forward ones. Fabulous! No complaints. The 'hour less sun on legs' pretty much sums up any minor drawbacks

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Then don't tell her about the time that we had to have a balcony rail 'seen to' because it was loose!

Return to “About Oceana”