Size Restrictions

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Size Restrictions

Post by June1969 »

Whilst researching excursions for our Batic cruise on Britannia I have found that on our day in Stockholm the ship will be at anchor 60 km from the city. This is due to size will there be other similar restrictions in other Baltic ports of call?

I notice this is her only Baltic cruise this year, I wonder if she will ever go again.
I will but will need to try a smaller ship next time.

June

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Size Restrictions

Post by GillD46 »

I hate it when the ports are so far from the destination. It will happen more often now the ships are so massive.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Cruise on Adonia and the problem is solved ... simples.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Britannia is only marginally bigger than Celebrity Eclipse and we berthed in the main port when visiting Stockholm, so I assume it must be due to the number of ships in port that day, rather than being too big.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

is that Nynashalm? (sp?)

We docked there when we did the Baltic on the old Adonia - same size as Oceana. We never did find out why cos there were no other ships in Stockholm as far as we could see
Meg
x

Topic author
June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Thank you for your replies,

Spot on Towny44, had another look and there are 3 other ships in port that day. Approx 9,000 in Stockholm that day,

Moby, that was my immediate thought. When I go on Adonia next year I will look at her cruises as she goes through the Keil Canal as well.

Yes Meg 50, that is the same place, did you tender? We are also shown as being at anchor there.

Had been looking at doing an ALLA tour but wonder if P&O would be better in light of this.

June

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

yes, we tendered.

we'd booked Stockholm on your own trip along with so many others that it turned out to be a double decker shuttle bus (which meant peeps could return to the ship as soon as there was a full bus). It was so far we fell asleep on the way back!

I'd love to return and sail into Stockholm - I'm told it's nearly as good as Venice and Valletta
Meg
x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Meg 50 wrote:

I'd love to return and sail into Stockholm - I'm told it's nearly as good as Venice and Valletta
The sail out is also amazing especially from the Tuscan grill speciality restaurant of the Eclipse, with picture windows all around the stern of the ship.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

majortom10
Cadet
Cadet

Post by majortom10 »

We docked at Nynashalm when on Arcadia and was told at the time the port fees were cheaper thats why P&O berthed there even taking into account shuttle buses into Stockholm.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

majortom10 wrote:
We docked at Nynashalm when on Arcadia and was told at the time the port fees were cheaper thats why P&O berthed there even taking into account shuttle buses into Stockholm.
but the passengers paid for the shuttles ( or at least we did on the old Adonia) - they called it 'Stockholm on your own'
Meg
x

majortom10
Cadet
Cadet

Post by majortom10 »

Meg 50 wrote:
majortom10 wrote:
but the passengers paid for the shuttles ( or at least we did on the old Adonia) - they called it 'Stockholm on your own'
If my memory serves me right we didnt pay for our transfer into Stockholm the first time we ever paid for a shuttle bus was the excursion "Rome on your own" we have never paid for a shuttle other than that one.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

June1969 wrote:
... Moby, that was my immediate thought. When I go on Adonia next year I will look at her cruises as she goes through the Keil Canal as well.
Indeed so and possibly Visby as well, another delightful destination on a smaller ship :thumbup:

Topic author
June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Thanks for that Moby, I'll make a note of Visby in my 'Little Black Book'. (Bucket list). Of places to go.

June

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Whatever the reason it is a shame not to dock in central Stockholm because, as others have said, the sail in / sail out is spectacular

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I agree, we docked in Stockholm on Adonia last September and the sail in/out was lovely - even in the rain! Adonia of course can go right up to the centre of the city.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

Is size the reason that on her two visits to Dublin, Adonia docks in Dublin, but on her visit, Britannia is scheduled to anchor in Dublin Bay, and tender ashore to Dun Laoghaire?

Either way, I hope it goes better than it did with Oriana in Aug 2013, when a fog came down and the tenders had difficulty finding their way back to the ship. Oriana had to up anchor and move to Dublin docks. As a consequence, subsequent cruises were re-scheduled to do likewise.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Well at least Britannia is bigger, so easier to find in the fog!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Well at least Britannia is bigger, so easier to find in the fog!
As in ... Britannia ... presumably

:wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Not so ancient mariner wrote:
Is size the reason that on her two visits to Dublin, Adonia docks in Dublin, but on her visit, Britannia is scheduled to anchor in Dublin Bay, and tender ashore to Dun Laoghaire?
I wouldn't be at all surprised. We went to Dublin on Arcadia, and it was a tight manoeuvre to 'park' in our berth.
Gill

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Ditto when we were there on Oriana that time - but it was a last minute thing and the only free berth meant having to squeeze past the Azura sized Caribbean Princess.

When Oriana left they did leave people at the port terminal to tell returning DIY passengers what had happened. The fold cleared after a couple of hours, and I do wonder what went through their minds when these passengers first saw the ship wasn't there any more.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Not so ancient mariner wrote:

Either way, I hope it goes better than it did with Oriana in Aug 2013, when a fog came down and the tenders had difficulty finding their way back to the ship. Oriana had to up anchor and move to Dublin docks. As a consequence, subsequent cruises were re-scheduled to do likewise.
Dun Laoghaire itself is actually not bad - assuming you can pronounce it....!

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Dun Leery

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds a bit Irish to me