Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: First Review Of Britannia

Post by towny44 »

barr0ld wrote:
We've taken pot luck this time with a saver fare, so will have to see what we end up with dining-wise. I don't really mind what we get, as long as it's not first or second sitting ....
I like your style. :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote:
barr0ld wrote:
We've taken pot luck this time with a saver fare, so will have to see what we end up with dining-wise. I don't really mind what we get, as long as it's not first or second sitting ....

You may hope for freedom but it depends on the ship, the least favourite at the moment is second sitting in club.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

daib GC wrote:
towny44 wrote:
barr0ld wrote:

You may hope for freedom but it depends on the ship, the least favourite at the moment is second sitting in club.
The restaurant manager is quite happy to change dining arrangements for any passenger, including savers.

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
daib GC wrote:
towny44 wrote:
barr0ld wrote:

The restaurant manager is quite happy to change dining arrangements for any passenger, including savers.
towny 44 - my first wife says I'm the only person who ever thinks I'm funny, so thank you!

dGC - as I said, I only hope. We decided against paying what amounted to nearly £300 extra each to guarantee the flexible dining arrangements we prefer (though sometimes, we've done just that)

Q Bob - is that really so? I thought once dining was allocated, that was it.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

First Review Of Britannia

Post by Quizzical Bob »

barr0ld wrote:

Q Bob - is that really so? I thought once dining was allocated, that was it.
Yes, we have been on a few saver cruises now and on each there was a queue for the restaurant manager on the first day. On Adonia last November we were allocated first sitting but changed it to second, and there were a lot who were swapping the other way. Adonia doesn't do freedom, alas.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We only opted Freedom Dining last year for the first time ,AND, despite being second sitting die hards................we loved it!

Celebrity Eclipse and Arcadia cruises last year, no queues, no pagers needed, and a table for 2 every night, except for the first night.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

GillD46 wrote:
As I understand it, the cakes ARE free in Java, providing you buy a drink. Market Cafe is a celebrity chef venue, so food items, which are in a totally different league, are at a cost. Seems reasonable to me.
Quite correct. Java exactly as on other ships. Nothing is charged for on Britannia that was free before. There are just more choices. :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Stephen wrote:
We prefer freedom dining and the flexibility it offers.
Never had a problem with long waits. And if we did have a short wait of say 20 - 30 minutes we would be given a bleeper and off we would go for another drink at the bar. And we can almost guarantee that as soon as we had sat down with our drinks the bleeper would go off. No problem though, just take them with you. :thumbup:
,,,,and those bleepers are a bloody nuisance too ! You are sitting in Anderson's for a quiet pre-prandial and there are those things going off every few minutes. It's like being on a train with the old Yuppies with their mobiles !

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

There are three big plusses for Freedom Dining, 1. You don't have to rush to be ready at a certain time and it gives you the flexibility to see the early show or the late show in the theartre. 2. you can miss the queue, we usually arrive between 7pm and 7-30 pm.
3. You meet different people each evening, you can tell the same jokes as they won't have heard them, and if there is anyone you don't like, you only see them one night. :

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

Thanks QB

I'm always surprised P&O don't let you at least express a preference when you book a saver, even if they can't guarantee you'll get it. Because they don't bother, they must end up allocating some people early who would prefer late, and vice versa......

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

barr0ld wrote:
Thanks QB

I'm always surprised P&O don't let you at least express a preference when you book a saver, even if they can't guarantee you'll get it. Because they don't bother, they must end up allocating some people early who would prefer late, and vice versa......
I quite agree. If they have a sitting which is less popular why not allocate it to those who request it. It's much easier than people getting a sitting they don't want, and taking up places of those who would relish the sitting they have been given.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The reason they do not allocate them, notionally or otherwise, is because of all the whingers who were anti anybody getting a last minute deal back in the ' Getaway ' era, no perks and benefits etc was the cry but that includes dining time choices ... yet another example of ( not ) being careful what you ask for.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

and sometimes common sense gets in the way of logic.

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I can see no harm in allowing saver/super saver passengers to express their dining preference when booking, just as long as their request is only honoured after all select fare passngers have been satisfied.
In fact is it not possible to make a dining request on the cruise personaliser?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote:
.......... In fact is it not possible to make a dining request on the cruise personaliser?
I think not, I recall that it states that one's dining room table plus sitting will be allocated once on board ... bed configuration is, thankfully, selectable.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Manoverboard wrote:
towny44 wrote:
.......... In fact is it not possible to make a dining request on the cruise personaliser?
I think not, I recall that it states that one's dining room table plus sitting will be allocated once on board ... bed configuration is, thankfully, selectable.
And who shares it....... :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
towny44 wrote:
And who shares it....... :thumbup:
Good point ... I just checked and the 2nd passenger is ' Mobietta ' :thumbup: .

As for dining choices, the Official line is ...

Early Saver Bookers
Early Savers receive 2nd priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link.

http://www.pocruises.com/early-saver-dining/

Saver Fares

Dining Information
You have purchased your cruise using a Saver Fare. As such your dining time will be allocated on board and we are
unable to take note of your preference prior to departure or make any changes once on board.

So ... there you are then ... :wtf:

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

I thought this post was a review of Britannia not freedom dining?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I thought we were discussing Freedom Dining because of the related queuing problems on Britannia ... ?

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

towny44 wrote:
I can see no harm in allowing saver/super saver passengers to express their dining preference when booking, just as long as their request is only honoured after all select fare passngers have been satisfied.
My point exactly; I'd feel better for letting P&O know, even if it made no difference.

I'd hate to be on the early sitting, wishing I could be eating later whilst a fellow cruiser, starving, and at deaths door, is counting the seconds till 20:30.........

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

oldtimer wrote:
I thought this post was a review of Britannia not freedom dining?
My bad.....I'll await the ban ;)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Not sure whether anyone has posted this link:

http://cruisemiss.com/2015/03/26/britan ... og-part-3/

but it makes an interesting read

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote:

Oh yes it is. We always put in a request for freedom dining on cruise personaliser. And if it is not what we get allocated once on board we just go down to the restaurant and get it changed. Never a problem.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Cruise personaliser/dining options/click on link under Early Saver Bookers.
Untitled.jpg

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Early Savers ' Yes ' but Savers ' No ', as per my posting above on the 25th ...

https://www.cruise-community.me.uk/view ... 40#p133335

:wave:

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”