First Cruise with an Autistic Child

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
bruceb52
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

First Cruise with an Autistic Child

Post by bruceb52 »

I'm wanting to take my 9 yr old autistic son on a cruise and we are having to save for this. We have never been on a cruise but he really wants to go on a cruise and being autistic when he makes up his mind on something it doesn't change. Can we get some advice on the amount we would need to save living in Oregon and what would be a good cruise for us to go on thats not going to take years to save for? We are both on Social Security disability and can put about $75 to $100 a month away towards this. Pls we put all our spare change aside towards this. Thanks

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Cruise with an Autistic Child

Post by david63 »

Welcome to our site.

I note from your post that you are from the USA and whilst we will do our best to try and give you some advice you may find it better if you ask this question on a US based site as this is a predominately UK site.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hello Bruce,

With regard to what you will be able to afford will depend on the duration of cruise you choose.....here in the UK you can sail away on a two/three day cruise for less than £300. What you should bear in mind is all the added cost which will in many cases add up to more than the cost of a two/three day cruise....travel insurance, travel costs (too and from the port) tips (may be optional) and spending money are all things that need to be considered before booking a cruise.

Depending on the age of your child and based on the above l would say you should be thinking of at least 18 months ...unless of course some kind donations start flooding in...which from this side of the Atlantic/furom is very unlikely to happen.

Have a good day.

OL

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Hello and welcome :wave:

I suggest that you investigate the cost of a 2, or maybe 3, day cruise with a US based Cruise Line sailing in and out of LA, San Francisco or Seattle.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Carnival do lots of competitively priced cruises out of Florida ports and the ships seem to have lots of activities which could suit your 9 year old.
Check out their website.

Return to “New to Cruising”