Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

The Britannia Maiden Cruise (part one)

Post by Gill W »

Here goes with my cruise diary/report.

Once I get writing, I find it difficult to stop, so be warned, this will run to 8 parts! :oops:

Britannia Maiden Cruise

Embarkation Day

We arrived at the Ocean Terminal at around 11.45am, and were directed to wait in a car holding area for around 10 minutes, before we were ushered forward to the unloading area.

The car parking formalities were dealt with as quickly as ever, and we made our way up the escalator to the check in area.

If you had priority check in, you were directed to the right at the top of the escalator, non priority to the left. We had priority check in, and were handed green card K, and were advised to sit and wait until we were called. We didn't even have time to sit down, as our group were called forward immediately.

We noticed that the seating area was almost full, so I would think the non priority people may have had quite a wait.

Anyway, we progressed through to check in, then to the a queue for the security checks. This was quite slow moving, due to the age old problem of people not being prepared. Of course, we are model passengers, and I had my coat off and my trainers in my hand, by the time we got to the head of the queue!

Security successfully navigated, we were on to the air bridge........ And the queue snaked all though the bridge. Hmm, seems to be a lot of queuing round here!

While I was in the queue, I had time to look at the large amount of luggage on trollies, that were awaiting loading. I think I've solved the mystery of the strange numbers (eg 11F) on the luggage labels. It appears to relate to the number on the fork lift cage, to make sure that it is taken to to correct loading area of the ship.

I also noticed that a suitcase actually fell into the water, and they had to fish it out! Some poor passenger has had a wet start to the cruise.

Anyway, we finally stepped on board. We entered the ship around the area of Brodies on deck 6. There were people on hand asking for our cabin number, and then directing us to either fore or aft. We had to make our way to the atrium, having our photo taken en route, then up to deck 7 via the atrium, forward to the staircase at the front of the ship, up 4 more decks , along a corridor to the cabin.

We dumped our bags, then, ship plan in hand, made our way to the Peninsular Restaurant, which served as our embarkation lounge.

We were expecting a light buffet - what we actually got was a three course meal, which was a nice suprise.

After our meal, we took the opportunity, like most people, to wander round and orientate ourselves in our new environment. I'll say more about the ship in later diary entries.

Luggage delivery to the cabins was not quick. I noticed the first cases moving along the corridors at around 3pm. Our first case arrived at about 4.45pm, the second not until after the safety drill.

Obviously, this is the first time they've had cases to deal with on Britannia, so you'd expect some delays. Hopefully they'll get quicker as they get used to it.

The safety drill was carried out at 5pm. Our muster station was the Crystal Room. Be warned, the life jackets on Britannia are different to the ones on other ships. You have to put your head through a hole ( no Velcro, so it helps if you take your glasses off). Then fasten the belt round your waist, then there's another strap that you have pass through your legs! Ladies, if there's an emergency, make sure you wear trousers!

Then it was Sailaway time. We had a band, and we had canons firing confetti. The confetti covered the band - very little found it's way towards the ship. We also had fireworks fired from a mooring off the QE2 Terminal.

We were able to watch all this from our balcony, in between doing our unpacking.

We were on freedom dining, and our allocated restaurant is the Peninsular. We arrived at around 6.45pm, and were seated straightaway on a table for two. The restaurant wasn't that busy to start off with, but service seemed fairly slow - again I think this sort of thing is to be expected at first. I also had to sort out my low sodium dietary requirements, so my meal took even longer to arrive. But we were in no hurry, so it was no problem. When my meal did finally arrive I was pleased with my nicely done steak and vegetables, with not a grain of salt to be seen. I've pre ordered the next evening's meal, so hopefully it'll work better on subsequent evenings.

We got out of the restaurant at about 8.30. ( I noticed quite a long queue of people waiting to go in). Jonny Wilkes was on in the Headliners Theatre, but we thought we'd be too late to get a seat, so we mooched around the shops for a whole before we returned to the cabin for an early night. It was quite a day!
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: The Britannia Maiden Cruise (part one)

Post by Kenmo1 »

Hi Gill - interesting start to your review. My eyes zoomed in on the bit about someone's suitcase falling in the water. I would have been gutted. I read that bit out to my husband and he said you needn't think you are unpacking the cases and wrapping everything in polythene. He moans enough about all the tissue paper I use to try to stop clothes creasing never mind if I was to wrap things in polythene. :lol:

Maureen

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Interesting what you say about the luggage labels relating to the same numbered forklifts Gill, at Xmas there was a mixture of old/new labels so I guess that caused some confusion, there were also problems at disembarkation so possibly for the same reason but I suppose once everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet it will make for a speedier system.
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

So far so good ... I'm deffo looking forward to the next seven parts. ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

Couldn't agree more MoB.

However, the bit about a suitcase falling into the sea has made my mind up. In the past, we've taken two big, soft, roll on bags, and other times, two aged, but watertight Samsonite suitcases that I bought in 1991.

This afternoon, I got the two Samsonites out of the garage and dusted them down ready for packing next weekend!

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

My main fear about my cases is that they won't get on the ship. Until I saw the case fall into the water, it'd never really crossed my mind that cases could accidentally go in the drink - I thought they'd be much more careful. Heck, something else to worry about! :lol:
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Interesting what you say about the luggage labels relating to the same numbered forklifts Gill, at Xmas there was a mixture of old/new labels so I guess that caused some confusion, there were also problems at disembarkation so possibly for the same reason but I suppose once everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet it will make for a speedier system.

I'm wondering how disembarkation from Britannia went - we did the self help disembarkation, so took our own cases off at 7am. There were masses of cases awaiting their owners, and I bet some of the cases weren't where they should be.
Gill

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Gill W wrote:

Once I get writing, I find it difficult to stop, so be warned, this will run to 8 parts! :oops:

Britannia Maiden Cruise

Embarkation Day

We arrived at the Ocean Terminal at around 11.45am, and were directed to wait in a car holding area for around 10 minutes, before we were ushered forward to the unloading area.

The car parking formalities were dealt with as quickly as ever, and we made our way up the escalator to the check in area.

If you had priority check in, you were directed to the right at the top of the escalator, non priority to the left. We had priority check in, and were handed green card K, and were advised to sit and wait until we were called. We didn't even have time to sit down, as our group were called forward immediately.

We noticed that the seating area was almost full, so I would think the non priority people may have had quite a wait.

Anyway, we progressed through to check in, then to the a queue for the security checks. This was quite slow moving, due to the age old problem of people not being prepared. Of course, we are model passengers, and I had my coat off and my trainers in my hand, by the time we got to the head of the queue!
Exactly what I notice every time, cruise check-ins especially.

One guy in front of me went through the scanner twice.

It all adds to the delay.

What is wrong with people?

Another 'model' passenger. :lol: :lol:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Solent Richard wrote:
Gill W wrote:

Britannia Maiden Cruise

Embarkation Day

Exactly what I notice every time, cruise check-ins especially.

One guy in front of me went through the scanner twice.

It all adds to the delay.

What is wrong with people?

Another 'model' passenger. :lol: :lol:
Despite all the notices there is not enough (that means none) preparation area in front of the x-ray machines. There is only so far you can walk holding your trousers up with one hand whilst carrying your shoes, belt, wallet, keys, money, phone, hand luggage...

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Well I witnessed people coping, including myself and I am well known for carrying a considerable amount of additional photographic equipment. Most things on your list will either fit into a shoulder bag or a jacket pocket.

It ain't rocket science. Just needs a bit of forethought: sadly lacking in some quarters. ;) ;)

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

On this occasion it was the first time I had noticed the additional x-ray machines at Ocean Terminal.

As for preparation areas mentioned above, well there appears enough space after the last person in the particular queue in the picture...

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Some people will have more difficulty with ' Security ' points than others and a little understanding and patience would doubtless be appreciated, it is also very difficult to empty out pockets etc while in a snaking queue ... however, it is surely quite simple to do so in the coach or the car on the way to the terminal else in the check-in areas prior to joining the queue for security.

Isn't it ?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
Some people will have more difficulty with ' Security ' points than others and a little understanding and patience would doubtless be appreciated, it is also very difficult to empty out pockets etc while in a snaking queue ... however, it is surely quite simple to do so in the coach or the car on the way to the terminal else in the check-in areas prior to joining the queue for security.

Isn't it ?
In cases like this it is important to make things as easy as possible for the people involved. I can see no reason why there cannot be a larger preparation area such as one finds at Gatwick. This needs to be large enough to handle several passengers at a time and not like those at Ocean Terminal, for example, where the delays seem to be mainly due to the emptying of pockets and the removal of shoes. Let's not forget that a lot of our fellow travellers are elderly and have difficulty bending down and need a seat in order to remove their footwear.

And Solent Richard, in the area you describe there are no plastic trays and most people are going to need two of these. Not everybody has a jacket and even if they did, where would the shoes go?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Isn't it ?
In cases like this it is important to make things as easy as possible for the people involved. I can see no reason why there cannot be a larger preparation area such as one finds at Gatwick. This needs to be large enough to handle several passengers at a time and not like those at Ocean Terminal, for example, where the delays seem to be mainly due to the emptying of pockets and the removal of shoes. Let's not forget that a lot of our fellow travellers are elderly and have difficulty bending down and need a seat in order to remove their footwear.

And Solent Richard, in the area you describe there are no plastic trays and most people are going to need two of these. Not everybody has a jacket and even if they did, where would the shoes go?
I grant you that not everybody has a jacket but surely everybody does have a bag, or could get one.

I agree that it can be very difficult regarding shoes because I have experienced that particular problem, to overcome it I wore slip-ons and carried a long shoe horn in my, or Mobietta's, bag.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I don't really see the problem either. Having got used to airport scanners taking a dislike to me I stick everything remotely metallic in my bag long before I get to security. And there's more space to do that in the departure lounge at Ocean Terminal than most airports. Shoes I too can slip off if needed at the last minute. The problem I have at most airports is sufficient space to re dress after the check. At least there are a few chairs at Ocean.

I do understand it is difficult for a few people, but for the majority it is a lack of forethought. Often it is the same people who arrive at the gangway to disembark and then hold up the queue while they begin searching their pockets and bags for their cruise card.

I hope airport security don't regard your shoe horn as a lethal weapon Moby!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
... I hope airport security don't regard your shoe horn as a lethal weapon Moby!
Funny you should mention that as at the time I needed one the kids got me a bright orange 24 inch plastic snake shaped one with very realistic black markings and fangs ... so yes, it probably did look a tad lethal.

:lol:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

So sorry that when one person has to deal with two lots of hand luggage, two jackets, and two pairs of shoes etc. most of which is taken care off BEFORE security, (emptying pockets and the like), as far as is humanly possible, it still irritates those of you who have to wait a few minutes longer!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I must admit once I have passed the car over to CPS and entered the terminal building I have switched to holiday mood and if I have to wait a little while to get through security so be it. After all the ship's going nowhere without me. Time to chill out and relax. What's the rush?
On the other hand you are probably all behind me, glaring, staring, tutting and sighing. Take it easy, friends. It does nothing for your blood pressure!!! :lol:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
I must admit once I have passed the car over to CPS and entered the terminal building I have switched to holiday mood and if I have to wait a little while to get through security so be it. After all the ship's going nowhere without me. Time to chill out and relax. What's the rush?
On the other hand you are probably all behind me, glaring, staring, tutting and sighing. Take it easy, friends. It does nothing for your blood pressure!!! :lol:
Some elderly people find it very uncomfortable to be standing in a queue for an hour. It's not all about ourselves.

If there is a queue it's because the facilities and system are not suitable. Blaming the customers is just shifting the responsibility. Those responsible have enough experience in these matters to devise a better solution.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Some elderly people find it very uncomfortable to be standing in a queue for an hour. It's not all about ourselves.

If there is a queue it's because the facilities and system are not suitable. Blaming the customers is just shifting the responsibility. Those responsible have enough experience in these matters to devise a better solution.
QB, I don't think I have ever stood in a queue for security for an hour. I don't think I ever said it was all about ourselves, neither was I blaming the customers.
In fact, on other posts I have always advocated for the provision of more seating for those who are infirm or elderly, especially at Mayflower where you have the long snake of a queue to check in. (Not been there for a while so not sure whether that has been improved). You are right, QB, it is about facilities. However the discussion was about people being ready when they get to the security scanners. Whilst I agree there are some preparations we can make it is not always possible for the elderly or disabled to do so especially if in a wheelchair. In such cases I believe a little more patience is required.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:

QB, I don't think I have ever stood in a queue for security for an hour. I don't think I ever said it was all about ourselves, neither was I blaming the customers.
In fact, on other posts I have always advocated for the provision of more seating for those who are infirm or elderly, especially at Mayflower where you have the long snake of a queue to check in. (Not been there for a while so not sure whether that has been improved). You are right, QB, it is about facilities. However the discussion was about people being ready when they get to the security scanners. Whilst I agree there are some preparations we can make it is not always possible for the elderly or disabled to do so especially if in a wheelchair. In such cases I believe a little more patience is required.
That's fair enough and on the whole I agree with you.

We had a situation on Adonia last year at Ocean Terminal where only 2 of the 4 x-ray machines were in operation. I can only assume that this was in order to save someone some money because there were fewer passengers than normal. The queue itself was over 50 minutes.

In my opinion all that is needed is a slightly larger preparation area in front of the x-rays with a few seats and some tables with plastic trays.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I wouldn't disagree with either of you, and have no issue with passengers who have a mobility issue or similar, only with those who are perfectly capable but still ill prepared. They're probably the same people who when further back in the queue were moaning about the delay!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

............ And a larger area on exit with seating where you can put shoes back on, rethread your belt, and sort out all your goods and chattels. Then you can start looking for your boarding card which you put away safe whilst you prepared for going through security.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Merv, I think we mean the 'ditherers' who are capable but totally disorganised and clog up everywhere. They are the ones, God bless 'em who get to disembarkation and only then start looking for their cruise card, and will not budge until they find it. No problem really but why not move to one side to allow others to disembark whilst they look.
They can also be spotted in supermarkets where they will stand in a queue, and only when all their own goods have been checked through do they start undoing countless zips and buckles looking for their purse. Having paid they then stand at the checkout whilst putting said purse back and securing it with dozens of zips. Some people!!!!!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Does it really matter if someone isn't quite as quick as you or me ( you .. as in anyone it appears to irritate :roll: ) if the person in front of me was 'dithering' a bit I would try to help them rather than be stood there tapping my feet, chill out ... does a few more minutes in a queue make that much difference to us :wave:
Jo

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”