The Britannia Maiden Cruise (part one)

Reports about cruises on Britannia

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: The Britannia Maiden Cruise (part one)

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Does it really matter if someone isn't quite as quick as you or me ( you .. as in anyone it appears to irritate :roll: ) if the person in front of me was 'dithering' a bit I would try to help them rather than be stood there tapping my feet, chill out ... does a few more minutes in a queue make that much difference to us :wave:
The odd one or two are not important but all these minutes soon add up to hours. I have always found those queueing to be considerate but sometimes one of the dragons supervising at the machines can get very shirty.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

oldbluefox wrote:
Merv, I think we mean the 'ditherers' who are capable but totally disorganised and clog up everywhere. They are the ones, God bless 'em who get to disembarkation and only then start looking for their cruise card, and will not budge until they find it. No problem really but why not move to one side to allow others to disembark whilst they look.
They can also be spotted in supermarkets where they will stand in a queue, and only when all their own goods have been checked through do they start undoing countless zips and buckles looking for their purse. Having paid they then stand at the checkout whilst putting said purse back and securing it with dozens of zips. Some people!!!!!
They're the ones!
Dancing Queen wrote:
Does it really matter if someone isn't quite as quick as you or me ( you .. as in anyone it appears to irritate :roll: ) if the person in front of me was 'dithering' a bit I would try to help them
So are you the one offering to help the men take the belts off their trousers and hold their wallets!!! :crazy:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Having just returned from Sainsbugs let us all now hope and pray that P&O never decide to issue cruise related vouchers that can be redeemed at, or anywhere near to, the security area :roll:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
Merv, I think we mean the 'ditherers' who are capable but totally disorganised and clog up everywhere. They are the ones, God bless 'em who get to disembarkation and only then start looking for their cruise card, and will not budge until they find it. No problem really but why not move to one side to allow others to disembark whilst they look.
They can also be spotted in supermarkets where they will stand in a queue, and only when all their own goods have been checked through do they start undoing countless zips and buckles looking for their purse. Having paid they then stand at the checkout whilst putting said purse back and securing it with dozens of zips. Some people!!!!!
They're the ones!
Dancing Queen wrote:
Does it really matter if someone isn't quite as quick as you or me ( you .. as in anyone it appears to irritate :roll: ) if the person in front of me was 'dithering' a bit I would try to help them
So are you the one offering to help the men take the belts off their trousers and hold their wallets!!! :crazy:
Yep had plenty of practice Merv :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Don't mention belts and trousers in the same sentence. Onelife and Stephen may be looking in!!! :wave: :crazy:

DQ.......................... no comment!! :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

oldbluefox wrote:
Don't mention belts and trousers in the same sentence. Onelife and Stephen may be looking in!!! :wave: :crazy:

I heard they were still looking for their trousers after a night out!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

I heard they were still looking for their trousers after a night out!
Only those of us who were privileged to be on the 2011 Adonia ' Naming Do ' know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth ... all else is speculation :silent:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

After that 'Do' we've never been invited to another one. You can tell me, I won't breathe a word!! :angel:

ChrisR42
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ChrisR42 »

Hi - this is my first post but I have enjoyed reading all your comments for some time. We too were on Britannia's maiden cruise and I have found the reports much in line with our thoughts - we loved the ship and, teething problems aside, really enjoyed it. Apologies if someone else has mentioned this and I have missed it but I think an important point to highlight for all you gents is that the shaver socket in the bathroom needs an adaptor. We didn't take one and the shop sold out very quickly!

majortom10
Cadet
Cadet

Post by majortom10 »

ChrisR42 wrote:
Hi - this is my first post but I have enjoyed reading all your comments for some time. We too were on Britannia's maiden cruise and I have found the reports much in line with our thoughts - we loved the ship and, teething problems aside, really enjoyed it. Apologies if someone else has mentioned this and I have missed it but I think an important point to highlight for all you gents is that the shaver socket in the bathroom needs an adaptor. We didn't take one and the shop sold out very quickly!
We mentioned it to our cabin steward on the first evening and he said go to reception and they lent me an adaptor for the duration of the cruise.

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

While I was on board, I completely missed the thing about the shaver socket, as my husband doesn't use an electric shaver - but it's certainly an important point to highlight.

I've been reading other reviews from around the 'net, and I think most of them are pretty fair and balanced.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I suppose that's the downside of building a ship in Europe, where the sockets would be correct, rather than the UK. Still, the last time a cruise ship was built in the UK it was still steam powered so there wasn't a lot of choice.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I suppose that's the downside of building a ship in Europe, where the sockets would be correct, rather than the UK. Still, the last time a cruise ship was built in the UK it was still steam powered so there wasn't a lot of choice.
I believe that even in Europe you can source British products - did they have UK standard three pin sockets?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I believe that even in Europe you can source British products - did they have UK standard three pin sockets?
I have already commented that about half the UK hotels I have stayed in had incorrect thin pin shaver sockets, so if these are european standard rather than UK why did this happen, and why no hue and cry over the hotel chains installing wrong sockets? Or more to the point why do we insist on being the odd one out, and why has the EU thought police not insisted we change?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Yes, we had at least 4 three pin sockets, great for charging all the devices that we seem to need these days.

I expect somebody's head is rolling for the shaver socket mishap :crazy:
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

The Britannia Maiden Cruise (part one)

Post by Quizzical Bob »

towny44 wrote:
david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I have already commented that about half the UK hotels I have stayed in had incorrect thin pin shaver sockets, so if these are european standard rather than UK why did this happen, and why no hue and cry over the hotel chains installing wrong sockets? Or more to the point why do we insist on being the odd one out, and why has the EU thought police not insisted we change?
I think you'll find we are out of step with the rest of the world. Most shaver sockets in bathrooms have a transformer and will accept both types of plug.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

To clarify for those not actually on the ship and speculating. The cabin has standard three pin UK sockets, including one which is permanently on so you can charge stuff up without interruption (though actually they ask you not to leave chargers on unattended because of the fire risk). It also has one US style plug for the hairdryer supplied in the cabin.

The bathroom has a shaver socket with a transformer and two outlets, one US style and 110v, one round pin and 240v. However the round pin one is the thinner round pins standard in Europe, rather than the fatter two pins we use for shavers. So at present an adaptor is required for a UK shaver. I'm guessing that pretty sharpish they'll be changing them to either accept the UK style instead, or the type which I think QB is referring to which have odd shaped holes to accept UK or continental.

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”