Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 10

Post by melsea »

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 10

Day 30. At sea, the first of 10. Evening Casual Dress.
6th February

Got up leisurely which was a little naughty as we really should have got out of bed! We went to the Glass House for our breakfast, it certainly is getting more busy now but not as the Glass House.

After breakfast I went back to the cabin to change into something less heavy as I was wearing fairly heavy material trousers. I wore instead shorts, sleeveless top and my croc flip flops. I sat out the back of deck 11 for an hour. It became rather cloudy but still warm with the occasional break in the clouds for the sun to shine.
Soon it was time to go back to the cabin and change into trousers again for us to go to lunch, which today was in the Medina Restaurant where we had a window seat and the sun was shining brightly.

At 1.50 I went to the crows nest for my art class where there were not as many of us as there were on the last leg. James, the art teacher said his class in the morning had around 70 people with some sitting as far back as the piano area which is a fair distance from where the teacher demonstrates the various parts of the painting we were doing for this session. I used for the first time the masking tape I bought in Valparaiso. It worked very well and ended up giving my painting a new dimension.

In the late afternoon I went to the the crystal pool and sat at one of the tables and listened to the audible book.

Day 31. 2 of 10 at sea. Black Tie dress tonight.
7th February

Clocks go back tonight -4 GMT

We got up and did our walk, me 30 mins, Bill 1 hour. It was cloudy first thing with the odd spots of rain, it was warm with it too.

Most of the morning was overcast & dull but it was still warm. Later in the afternoon the sun shone.
Breakfast in glass house. I went to Crows Nest where I sat by the window. A few seats over I saw a couple who I had seen before and realised they were the couple that were sat across from me on the tender that kept crashing into either the ship or the pontoon. They too have sent a report, one to the Captain and the other to HQ in Southampton. I showed them my bruise and they said they were not surprised. It had by now turned into pretty colours but was hurting less and no lasting effects thank goodness.
Lunch in restaurant just after 1pm. Art class straight after. Afterwards I sat on a lounger in Crystal pool upstairs overlooking the pool. Then briefly at the back of deck 11.

Day 32. 3 of 10 at sea sailing ever onwards in the vastness of what is the Pacific Ocean. Smart, Jacket Required.
8th February

Clocks went back -4 GMT

We awoke to my alarm at 07.45. We laid there for a while and then we decided that we really must get up and get out for a walk, which we did. The air was warm with a windy edge that keeps you cool instead of getting too hot. I managed to do 40 minutes. Bill did his 1 hour. We didn't go to breakfast but instead I got from the buffet, orange juice and fruit.
At just before 10.15 we went to the Curzon Theatre where the church service was being held as it was a Sunday at sea.

After the service I went out back to take some of the sun and continued to listen to my audio book, 'what Alice forgot'. Just before 1pm I went back to the cabin to change and we went to lunch at the Medina Restaurant. After lunch we both had a nap which I most certainly needed.
I went to the crystal pool area and sat down at one of the tables where I wrote out cards, a letter and a note.

Day 33. 4 of 10 at sea sailing across the Pacific. Sunny & hot.. Evening Casual 60's/70's night
9th February

Clocks to go back tonight -5 GMT

When the alarm went off at 7.30 we didn't at first get up but stirred ourselves out to go for our walk on deck 13. The sun was still coming up and the air was warm a nice ambient temperature for us to walk in. There were as per usual the usual suspects of walkers and runners all stealing ourselves from putting more weight on. There was one lady who as she walks was fairly bent forward with her arms swaying about from side to, it isn't a very good look and she looks funny and not very nice at the same time, but hey she's out there getting exercise keeping the weight off.
I did my 35 minutes and Bill did his 1 hour.

Sunbathe in the afternoon after lunch.

Day 34. 5 of 10 at sea sailing across the vast Cobalt Seas.
Sunny & hot with a nice breeze. Black Tie night.

10 February

Clocks went back last night and they go back again tonight as well.

Easter Island sail by 3.30-5.30pm

I have a cold!!
Bill and I went for our morning walk. Me 30 minutes, Bill 1 hour. We are no longer the only ones doing this walk on deck 13. When did this happen? It was long ago when we were really the only ones walking this route but it seems it has caught on.
We went to breakfast at the Glass House. Afterwards I went in search for a shaded part of the ship. I found a table on deck 7 the non smoking side of the ship. At midday the Captain made an announcement which I could not hear very well but he said something about not being able to do Easter Island but we are still going. I sat there for a while after until it was time to go back to the cabin. Bill and I went to lunch in the restaurant and when we came out we saw we were approaching Easter Island. It turns out that a passenger has taken ill and needs to leave the ship as they were not responding well to treatment. So they will be flown back to mainland Chile, where they will be going to a hospital in Santiago. They dropped the patient off by using one of the tenders, it was by the airstrip, you can see the airstrip from the ship but you couldn't see where the actual airport terminal was but I guess it wasn't that far.
After all that was taken care of we started to make our way by sailing back the way we came. On the shore where the passenger was taken off at there were a few statues for us to see. But we were on the lookout for some of the other statues which were alluding us. I seem to remember vaguely where they were but we were too far away at that point but as we sailed closer I looked through the binoculars and then I saw them I took a couple of photos and showed them to other passengers and let them look through the binoculars so that they could see for themselves. By this time I had had enough and went back to the cabin where we ended up staying for the evening. Had room service instead of going to the restaurant. I had the multi deck burger which was absolutely delicious and I ate the whole lot which kind of surprised me.

I hope you are still awake having read the days at sea life of a World Cruise traveller..

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 10

Post by GillD46 »

I enjoy the sea days most of all.
Gill

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I'm like GillD I love sea days. I think this cruise was so relaxing because of the amount of sea days but it probably wouldn't suit some.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm really enjoying your reports. Its lovely to hear all about a world cruise.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Thank you for your report. We also enjoy the sea days, as they enable us to relax.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

what's in a multi deck burger?
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer