Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 21

Post by melsea »

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 21

Day 70 second day of being 18th March. Pago, Pago 8am - 6pm Evening Casual

We crossed the international date line and so we begin what is best described as ground hog day where we are having the same day all over again.

Breakfast at The Glass House.
Got off ship at around 10.30.
Outside on the quayside there were locals that had set up their goods to tempt us into buying. I had a quick look and saw a couple of pieces of jewellery that looked nice.
As I walked out of the gates there were the usual taxis and others using buses to take you on a tour. For 20$ you could go on a 2 hour tour. I thought this was a bit too much money. So I walked away still unsure if I was doing the right thing doing that. As I walked on I came to an area that gave good views of the ship. While was taking photos I looked down into the sea and I saw some crabs waking on the rocks at the edge. Then I saw lots of beautiful fishes, black/white stripe angel fishes as well as electric blue fishes and then I noticed bigger angel fishes that were beautiful in their yellow and blue colours. I watched them for a while and then continued my way towards where the bus station was. I saw three passengers who were asking where the bus was going and when was it leaving. It was going to a place called Tula and it was leaving in 10 minutes. They got themselves settled and the driver made his way for our mystery magical tour. We had not even made it to the road when the three older passengers wanted to get off because the bus driver had put on some music which was heavy in bass and it seems their ears could not cope with it. If they had stayed on they would have not even noticed the music because the bus drowned out a lot of it. So there I was on my own with a few other locals on a bus going to a fair distance of the island. I didn't have to wait long before I was joined by other passengers as they got on not far down the road. Our journey took an hour to reach our destination and the view from the bus was amazing. I sat on the side that was near the sea so I got some lovely shots of the beautiful sea and sky. When we reached the end of the line, we had 45 mins to wait for our driver to take us back. He was having his lunch. Myself and the other two ship passengers got chatting to one of the locals who wasn't really a local but she married a local having come to the island from Tonga. She was a carer and she was working in Tula looking after a resident who was house bound and 90 years old.
Our journey back had more passengers traveling back towards the main town, In fact there wasn't an empty seat most of the way.
I sat on the same side of the bus to see the interior view of the journey. When I got back I got off the bus by Sadie Thompson Inn where i Tried to get connected but a lot of the ships passengers were there and the connection couldn't handle us all. I walked around the town a bit and then walked back towards the ship but I didn't go back on straight away. I continued on and walked passed where the ship was. On my walk I came across the area where bats live and there were a few people looking out for them as well. I was looking for a shop to buy some more soft drinks. I eventually found somewhere and just bought one bottle and a bag of crisps.
I then headed back. I stopped and looked at the stalls that were near the ship and I found a pendant that was different to the others and I got the impression I had bought well and that this one I picked was the only one there. Before getting back onto the ship, Bruce who is one of the senior security staff and another member of his team were having their photos taken of themselves wearing the long skirt that the local men wear and they were with a local lady too. Needless to say quite a few of us wanted that picture of them as well. They were really enjoying the relaxed feel to their day.
I got back on the ship at just after 5pm. I quickly had a bite to eat from the lido bar, grab & go before it was time to be at the sail away.
In the evening we went to the beach house dining upstairs. We hadn't booked and so chanced it to see if we could get a table. We did get a table. It was just pass 9pm when we sat down. It was pleasantly warm. Another wonderful evening under the stars.

Day 71. At sea. 1 of 5 days towards Hawaii. Hot & humid, more cloudy.
Eclipse happening at home in the UK & parts Continental Europe.

19th March Smart, Jacket Requires.

Got up late due to the fact we overslept and we both at different times woke up at different times during the night & sat up reading.
Watched some of the Eclipse on television.
Sat on deck 7 continuing my painting in my art diary.
In the Horizon it was mentioned that the Vanuatu Disaster Relief Fund is now. £6743.60

Day 72. At sea 2 of 5 days making our lazy days way to Hawaii.

20th March Black Tie.

Awoke at a reasonable time this morning to actually make it to breakfast. We did however put the lights out early last night. After we had watched some of the events happening back at home, The Eclipse of the sun by the moon.
Breakfast in the Glass House, I had fruit platter and a croissant.
Sat on deck 7 and did some more painting in my art diary. Lunch in Medina at 1pm. Back to deck 7 to continue my painting. A number of people stop by to comment and look at what I have painted, I am most surprise by their comments and that they actually like them! At just after 4.30pm I went for a walk up on top deck. I did several circuits and walk up and down the back stairs a good few times. I listen to a book I am reading, well listening but I have also followed it on my kindle.
Crossing The line Ceremony, The Rematch.
In the evening else had a World Cruise drinks party with the Captain and the officers. The Captain gave a very good speech and called up a good dozen of his crew to the stage. He also at the end called his wife to join him.

Day 73. At sea 3 of 5 onwards towards Honolulu, Hawaii.
21st March Evening Casual.

I did some more painting on deck 7 with various people stopping to have a look and commenting.
Lunch in Medina.
Out on deck 7 again and it got more windy which followed by some big downpours. At times you could no longer see the horizon.
Evening went up to the buffet which had the theme dinner of Indian. I managed to find something to eat!! I don't like India but Bill does.

Day 74. At sea 4 of 5 almost there to our next destination.
Clocks forward at noon becomes 1pm. -10 GMT
22nd March Smart, Jacket required

Breakfast at Glass House.
Church service in the Curzon Theatre, taken by Captain Vago.
I filled in our Immigration arrival green forms for the U.S. Customs that will board the ship when we arrive in Honolulu on the 24th March.
Went to the art class today.
Later after the art class I sat out back sun bathing.
Entertainment in evening Byron Johnston guitar player.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 21

Post by emjay45 »

Captain Vago used to sit in the Lido Grill (Sidewalk cafe) with his wife quite often at lunchtimes. He was quite unusual for a Captain we thought, it's a pity some of the others aren't like him.

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

He also dined in the Medina (freedom dining) as well, sitting not too far from us either on one occassion. He also dined at the Horizon often, he usually sat at the tables in the Crystal Pool area. He always had time for everyone and wasnt afraid to come ashore and chat to passnegers when it was a Tender operation day.
I hope my reports are okay as I am doing a them bit different this time by including my boring days at sea. Thought it might give an insight to a World Cruise journey.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I've just done a marathon read Melsea as I had a couple of days to catch up on, never sailed with Captain Vago but he does seem popular.
Jo

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Dancing Queen wrote:
I've just done a marathon read Melsea as I had a couple of days to catch up on, never sailed with Captain Vago but he does seem popular.
Hope it wasn't too much of a marathon for you Jo.

Yes we like Captain Vago as did many others, he hasn't been brainwashed by the P&O speak when they have to be careful what they say, Vago was a breath of fresh air, ha told it like it was..

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Melsea it is a wonderful read so thank you for taking the time to share your holiday.

You write in a strange but remarkable way so that it seems as though I am in your head with you. I feel that I have shared every minute of your day from waking up to going to bed and I have been on some lovely excursions withou moving from my I pad. By the time I have finished reading each episode I feel quite exhausted.

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Andrea S wrote:
Melsea it is a wonderful read so thank you for taking the time to share your holiday.

You write in a strange but remarkable way so that it seems as though I am in your head with you. I feel that I have shared every minute of your day from waking up to going to bed and I have been on some lovely excursions withou moving from my I pad. By the time I have finished reading each episode I feel quite exhausted.
Thank you very much for your comments. I like to surprise and leave people wondering what I am going to say next.
I must admit having just re read my report I got exhausted as well!!!
mel

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

I enjoy reading about the sea days as well as the different ports, I think it does give a good insight into a world cruise, I'm really enjoying your day by day account thank you for taking the trouble to write it for us.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”