Ladies - tropical night what do you wear?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Ladies - tropical night what do you wear?

Post by Holiday Planner »

I've just checked my Horizon for timings - Tropical Night Party 9.30pm-late. The blurb says: 'Don your garish tropical beach attire or your best pirate costume (anything goes) and join the Entertainment Team on deck.'

I take that to mean the shorts are OK (But not for dinner).
Angela

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

I wear a very garish flowery dress for the tropical night complete with flowers in my hair and I wear this ensemble for dinner and the party afterwards.

The louder the better!

Michele

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Redrosegirlie wrote:
I wear a colourful maxi dress from coast for the tropical nights. I have never seen anyone wear a grass skirt :?
I saw a few grass skirts in attendance at the deck-party on Arcadia last year.....

...they were all worn by blokes however! :shock:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

The Invigilator wrote:
Hi everyone thanks for all your brilliant replies, I didn't realise that you dressed for dinner and then changed for the tropical night I assumed that it was the theme for the while night. as B&W night is. Have seen a really pink flowery maxi dress thing that I can get, so no coconuts required Quizzical Bob :lol: and the boys are going to sort out some shirts - think they are disappointed that they can wear garish clashing Bermudan shorts too :lol: really tasteful ;)
In our experienc IT IS, the theme for the whole night.

We have never dressed for dinner and then changed for the tropical party; always gone to dinner in tropical wear which is really only an Hawaiian shirt for OH and a brightly coloured top with white trousers for me and a lei or two.

Tropical nights are held on most cruises, even those to colder climates so the deck party, in these situations, is really non existent.

karenandbob
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by karenandbob »

I usually wear light floaty trousers (white0, with a light bright top, or a bright flowery dress and put a flower in my hair. My husband wears a caribbean shirt and long linen light coloured trousers.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

wolfie wrote:
The Invigilator wrote:
Hi everyone thanks for all your brilliant replies, I didn't realise that you dressed for dinner and then changed for the tropical night I assumed that it was the theme for the while night. as B&W night is. Have seen a really pink flowery maxi dress thing that I can get, so no coconuts required Quizzical Bob :lol: and the boys are going to sort out some shirts - think they are disappointed that they can wear garish clashing Bermudan shorts too :lol: really tasteful ;)
In our experienc IT IS, the theme for the whole night.

We have never dressed for dinner and then changed for the tropical party; always gone to dinner in tropical wear which is really only an Hawaiian shirt for OH and a brightly coloured top with white trousers for me and a lei or two.

Tropical nights are held on most cruises, even those to colder climates so the deck party, in these situations, is really non existent.
It has always been the theme for the whole night on all our cruises too. I wouldn't ever bother to change, and in our experience, most passengers make an effort to join in even if they don't actually go to the deck party.
Gill

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

I never wear anyhing theme related on Tropical night but get a great deal of pleasure seeing what others are wearing and the trouble they take with their outfits.

The only time I follow the theme is black and white night.

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by The Invigilator »

Thanks GillD46 that's what I thought it would be. Have ditched the grass skirt idea and will get this overly flowery pink dress I have seen :D :D

Annied I loved black and white night pretty much everyone joined in and there seemed to be an extra special atmosphere on board - cant wait. :D

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

I usually wear fitted black trousers/jeans with my pirate tee shirt under a tropical shirt with lei's..... and they except it at dinner in the main dining room. Well I have never been told off yet.... :-)
The pesky scarfaced pirate

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Invigilator
Don't forget your coconuts!!! :lol: :lol:

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Hey JS You have given me an idea my boys could dress up as pirates :lol:

OBF coconuts on the shopping list, :lol:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Most people wear their tropical dress for the whole evening. Maybe if someone wants to wear something very garish or outlandish they might put it on after dinner. Most men seem to wear their brightly coloured shirts to dinner.

Carole

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We don't take anything extra to what we would take on any cruise!

Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

As I mentioned before I change after dinner as although my tropical dress is fine for the deck party I don't think its suitable for dining.
My Dress:

http://www.bonprix.co.uk/product/one-sh ... type=image

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

I love it Shirleybee :D It's very similar to mine, except that mine is bright oranges and yellows in colour. I wear mine to dinner - hopefully it doesn't put people off their food :lol:

Michele

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

MicheleW wrote:
I love it Shirleybee :D It's very similar to mine, except that mine is bright oranges and yellows in colour. I wear mine to dinner - hopefully it doesn't put people off their food :lol:

Michele
Is THAT why you always have a table for 2??? :lol:

Only joking, I can vouch that you look lovely in it. :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Shirleybee wrote:
As I mentioned before I change after dinner as although my tropical dress is fine for the deck party I don't think its suitable for dining.
My Dress:

What's ring with dining in that? Perfectly in keeping with the 'ambience of the evening'. If I have to wear a penguin suit on formal nights then I'm sure we can all tolerate a little gaiety now and again. I would even go as far to suggest that anyone not wearing tropical gear should be turned away at the door. ;)

Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Shirleybee wrote:
My Dress:

What's ring with dining in that? Perfectly in keeping with the 'ambience of the evening'. If I have to wear a penguin suit on formal nights then I'm sure we can all tolerate a little gaiety now and again. I would even go as far to suggest that anyone not wearing tropical gear should be turned away at the door. ;)
The dress does come up a little shorter! I may be brave enough next time.

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

Shirleybee that dress is lovely! Wish i hadn't looked at that site now though, think it might cost me!:)
I'm just wearing a maxidress (one of my biggest bargains btw :)) I have worn on normal smart casual night and adding a feathery flower hair clip

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Shirls that's a lovely dress although on me it wouldn't be short more like mid calf! :lol:

Have seen Bonprix advertising on Facebook and wondered what their stuff was like think I will go and have a proper perusal :D

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I think that dress is just fine for tropical night which is casual anyway.

I have seen formal evening dresses that are backless, strapleess and practically frontless!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

wolfie wrote:
I have seen formal evening dresses that are backless, strapleess and practically frontless!
Wow - do you have any pictures.....?!

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

Thanks for that Rob :lolno:

It's true that only Billy gets put off ;)

Michele

Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

Bonprix has some nice dresses for the smart casual night! Welshynurse you will end up buyng something!
MicheleW: I worry about 'Sideboob' at dinner!
Babs: Hitch it up, its gathered on the sides! (p.s parcel in the post!)

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

Good point Shirleybee - luckily I have purchased a skin colour bra and you can attach straps in all sorts of positions which (so far) has proved infallible.

Michele

PS. Rob, sorry about the emoticon I posted earlier - I picked the wrong one through laughing so much - I meant to pick this one :lol: and instead picked this one :lolno:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”