Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean review pt1

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean review pt1

Post by oldbluefox »

When we left Cumbria it was cold and showery. As we made our way down the motorway we left the heavy clouds behind and the sun came out although it was still breezy. Southampton was full of red and white striped shirts celebrating a big win over Aston Villa. West Quay shopping centre was busy perhaps due to Arcadia, Celebrity Eclipse and Britannia being in that day together with Aurora and QM2 going out the next day. That's a lot of people moving about.
Next day we were up early and after a quick walk around Southampton for a Sunday newspaper (and a long queue in Smiths which thankfully we avoided by using the express checkouts) we were ready to make our way to the dock. Although it was only 12.00 when we arrived there were already plenty of people there. What a change there has been at the Mayflower terminal. No longer the long snake waiting to be processed. Instead we were greeted by a modern and comfortable lounge much more in keeping with the 21st century. We didn't find any free magazines as you get at Ocean Terminal but I suppose you can't have everything. Of course they may have already been snapped up. Within 15 minutes we were aboard and having lunch.
At the safety briefing we came across our first moaner of the trip. The cabin wasn't big enough, the balcony was 'filthy' with white 'stuff ', which I presumed was salt spray on the glass and it's nothing like Royal Caribbean. I would presume she would have had similar complaints there.
We had a bit of a delay leaving dock as somebody had thoughtlessly (!!) parked their great big tanker in front of us and as the wind was quite strong we had problems getting away. A tug was called in and we were free to depart. At the Calshott Spit turn we had a lovely view of QM2 which was just ahead of us.
And so off to dinner where we met up with Frank Manning and his lovely wife Sue.

Day 3 Cadiz
This was the day we were on our Vejer and Cape Trafalgar trip.
Last night we missed the Captain's Welcome Aboard party. We arrived at Carmens at 6.00 . I say Carmens but in truth the queue was so long we were almost outside the Medina Restaurant and the queue was moving very slowly so we back-tracked to Andersons which was virtually empty. There we were looked after by Fernando who furnished us with drinks, nibbles and canapés. Shortly we were joined by one or two others who had been put off by the queue. A little bit of adventure- we were sat enjoying our drinks when part of the ceiling dropped down above our heads. I know how Henny Penny feels now!! Fortunately nothing dropped on us but Fernando came running over and moved us pronto to safer seats.
Back to Vejer. What a lovely little spot this is sat atop a hillside. It was delightful wandering through its narrow streets, through little alleyways of whitewashed houses.
Vejer.jpg
We had a look in a couple of shops which had pottery and leather goods at reasonable prices. The guide gave us an hour to ourselves bo after a little look in the shops we sat outside in the sun with FrankM and Sue and enjoyed a coffee. On the way back there was a photo stop at Cape Trafalgar which is essentially a lighthouse close to the site of the battle.
cape trafalgar.jpg
The weather by now has warmed up although it's certainly not hot. There are quite a few gathered around the pool where it's more sheltered but the promenade deck is virtually deserted apart from the puffers, gaspers and vapers.

Day 4
It's a sea day but this morning I had a 1:1 with the photographer and what good value it turned out to be. It should have been a half hour session but mine lasted almost an hour and was well worth the money. He gave me loads of advice, answered lots of questions and explored features on my camera I didn't even know were there.
Last night it was Headliners doing their Abba show in Carmens. Apart from boosting drinks sales I never understand why it's not in the main theatre. We arrived for the 9.30 show but already it was standing room only so we returned later for the last show. Even then (although we were an hour early) it was difficult to get a seat since many stay put to see the show again.
I must say the entertainment has been very good. Headliners have been excellent, the comedian very funny without making anyone feel uncomfortable. There is also an Irish duo, Livewire, who are equally good, especially on their Celtic routines but their more traditional songs are just as harmonious.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean review

Post by Manoverboard »

I do hope that part 2 will contain at least some minor reference to one's Footy correspondent ... :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean review pt1

Post by emjay45 »

Well first of all can I ask if you managed to get rid of my graffiti in the Horizon? I like the headliners,I wonder if they were the same ones that were on our Worldie as they were excellent. They were often in Carmens on our cruise instead of the theatre. What is that all about? Did you think freedom dining has changed things? I know I did and I didn't quite like it.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I know a lot of people do like freedom dining but it's not for us - too frenetic with people coming and going, don't get to know your waiters and sometimes there was a long delay between courses as the waiters attempted to catch up. The big advantage was in being able to dine when it suited but I noticed some people were queuing up shortly after 6.00 so they may as well have been on first sitting. Each to their own.
I did speak to FrankM about your graffiti and he did assure me he wouldn't do it again!!! I told him it's not clever and it's not funny!! :lol:

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

oldbluefox wrote:
I know a lot of people do like freedom dining but it's not for us - too frenetic with people coming and going, don't get to know your waiters and sometimes there was a long delay between courses as the waiters attempted to catch up. The big advantage was in being able to dine when it suited but I noticed some people were queuing up shortly after 6.00 so they may as well have been on first sitting. Each to their own.
I did speak to FrankM about your graffiti and he did assure me he wouldn't do it again!!! I told him it's not clever and it's not funny!! :lol:
You are naughty. :lol: We were also on club dining which we prefer, but I meant did you think freedom dining affected how full the theatre was?

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Sorry emjay. A slight misunderstanding................
I do feel the theatre is much fuller after first sitting than second sitting. Whether that is down to freedom dining I don't know but on both occasions where we have been on first sitting we have noticed that getting a seat in the theatre has been much more difficult.
And on either sitting getting into Carmen's is virtually impossible unless you get there very early. The venue is just not big enough for the numbers wanting to see these very popular shows.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”