Arcadia - Iberia November 2016.

Arcadia cruises 2016

Topic author
got2getatan
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Arcadia - Iberia November 2016.

Post by got2getatan »

Hi, just joined the forum and we are thinking of booking a cruise sailing from/to Southampton mid November 2016 to Iberia. Have cruised a couple of times but never this late in the year from Southampton. We know it's pot luck with the sea conditions but wondered if the Arcadia is up to the job Will we be required to take raincoats/fleeces at this time of the year. Thanks.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Arcadia - Iberia November 2016.

Post by barney »

Take everything to cover all eventualites

We did Iberia in mid/late October on Oriana last year and it was 'Scorchio' all the way and back.
We couldn't believe our luck.
We went up as far as Valencia and it was low 30's

Arcadia has the covered pool so if it's not so great outside, at least you can sit in the warm and relax and swim.

Whatever the weather, you can almost guarantee that November in the Med will be much nicer than November in the UK

We off on Arcadia in early November this year to the Canaries.
I expect drab weather until Madiera, then wall to wall sunshine until well on the way back.
Last call is Lisbon and that will be pot luck.
If it's horrible, we'll just stay on board.

As you well know, you pays your money you takes your chance.

PS, welcome to the forum !
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Welcome - you will certainly find plenty of kind people here who are more than happy to offer help and advice on a variety of topics !

We have taken several winter cruises on Arcadia from Southampton and the journey south can be unpredictable, as Barney has said. We have had some really calm crossings but a few rough ones too but Arcadia rides the seas very well and we would never think twice before booking a winter cruise on her (in fact we already have this year!). What the north Atlantic throws at you is in the lap of the Gods though!

The weather in northern Spain is much like home - certainly expect La Corunna or Vigo to be damp and cold. Lisbon will be a bit warmer but could still be a bit chilly if you are unlucky. Take an assortment of layers!

Most of all, just enjoy the experience!

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Got2 . . . .

Welcome aboard our friendly ship

Usually the weather beyond the BoB is OK in November

Arcadia is a very large but a good cruise ship

All the best

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
got2getatan
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by got2getatan »

Thanks. Special birthday for the wife on 21 November 16 and she does like cruising! My GP reckons that my fly cruising will be over this year so it's Southampton - Southampton.

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

Arcadia is one of the most stable ships in the fleet when in bad weather - something to do with its 'azipods'!! Like everyone else - BOB - nobody can predict but we have always had lovely weather and we normally go in November.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

"My GP reckons that my fly cruising will be over this year so it's Southampton - Southampton."

Southampton & back can be somewhat limiting unless you have time to do a long cruise but the trade off of avoiding the airports seems to attract many.

We still take annual land based holidays that involve flying out & back but we are both slowly moving away from this.
Cruising to and from the UK is just so chilled and stressless.

Now I've retired from Scuba diving, I expect that even our shorter breaks may become cruises
I had an 'issue' on my last dive with a faulty regulator at 35 metres which has led to A. a loss of confidence & B. having to swear to the missus that I'll call it a day.

We both love sea days so that's not an issue although I know that others find them uninteresting.
We're still to go north so that we eventually be something new.

What is the special birthday on the 21st Nov 2016 ?
My 60th is 20th Nov 2016
We currently have a cruise booked for that but I'm thinking about changing it to a longer and therefore more special one :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Return to “Arcadia Cruises 2016”