First Cruise Booked

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
cruise kitten
Cadet
Cadet

First Cruise Booked

Post by cruise kitten »

Well actually, that isn't technically correct as I have done a 4 night Bahamas cruise with NCL.

If I can ask some questions, without sounding too gauche, I will be very grateful for some answers.

We have pre-registered for a Caribbean Cruise on the Azura, sailing on the 15th December 2017.

So on to my questions ; Being Christmas, is it very Christmassy on the ship and will they do a Christmas Dinner, have carols etc. [We are at sea Christmas day]

We have asked for freedom dining as my husband [who has cruised before, but a long time ago] hates the early sitting and he thought this would suit. Will we miss out by not having set meal times?

At the moment, we have been told that our cabin will be on C deck with a non shaded balcony at the front? If this makes sense, but we were asked if we would accept an upgrade. At the moment we have said yes, but if we do get upgraded, are we liable to get a cabin that may not be in a so good position [above/below a nightclub, next to a noisy lift, etc] or should we just stick with the category and deck that we have been given, as reading some threads on here, it seems C deck is favourable.

As we are flying out to meet the ship, what happens at embarkation, as surely you have lots of people arriving together? Do you still get an embarkation time or do you just proceed to boarding on arrival at the port?

I'm sure I will have lots more silly questions, but that will do for starters.
Thanks in advance.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Cruise Booked

Post by david63 »

We did a Christmas cruise last Christmas but on Arcadia.
cruise kitten wrote:
Christmas Dinner, have carols
Yes and Yes
cruise kitten wrote:
We have asked for freedom dining as my husband [who has cruised before, but a long time ago] hates the early sitting and he thought this would suit.
On Christmas Day (and New Year's Eve if you are still onboard) if you are Freedom dining you will be allocated a sitting - it could be first or second and I believe it can be difficult to change it.
cruise kitten wrote:
if we do get upgraded, are we liable to get a cabin that may not be in a so good position
That is a possibility
cruise kitten wrote:
As we are flying out to meet the ship, what happens at embarkation, as surely you have lots of people arriving together? Do you still get an embarkation time or do you just proceed to boarding on arrival at the port?
Never done a fly cruise so cannot help on that.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

cruise kitten wrote:
Well actually, that isn't technically correct as I have done a 4 night Bahamas cruise with NCL.

If I can ask some questions, without sounding too gauche, I will be very grateful for some answers.

We have pre-registered for a Caribbean Cruise on the Azura, sailing on the 15th December 2017.

So on to my questions ; Being Christmas, is it very Christmassy on the ship and will they do a Christmas Dinner, have carols etc. [We are at sea Christmas day]
Never done a Xmas cruise but I understand the ship will be fully decorated.
We have asked for freedom dining as my husband [who has cruised before, but a long time ago] hates the early sitting and he thought this would suit. Will we miss out by not having set meal times?
Freedom dining allows you to choose your own time and to decide whether or not you want to share a table, and if so you can meet new shipmates daily.
At the moment, we have been told that our cabin will be on C deck with a non shaded balcony at the front? If this makes sense, but we were asked if we would accept an upgrade. At the moment we have said yes, but if we do get upgraded, are we liable to get a cabin that may not be in a so good position [above/below a nightclub, next to a noisy lift, etc] or should we just stick with the category and deck that we have been given, as reading some threads on here, it seems C deck is favourable.
Ask your TA or P&O to change you to no upgrade, C Deck balconies are highly prizes and are twice as deep as normal and part is shaded and part open to the sun. You would be unlikely to be upgraded to a De-Luxe balcony but may possibly be upgraded to a more midships location but on another deck.
P&O charter flights take you to Barbados, after checking your luggage at the outbound airport the next time you see it is when its delivered to your cabin. You disembark the plane straight onto a coach (bus) and are taken to the port where you check in and have your photo taken for your cruise card ID

I'm sure I will have lots more silly questions, but that will do for starters.
Thanks in advance.
Hope that answers your questions
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

CK
P&O fly cruises are usually very well organised. You check in your luggage at the airport and then the next time you see it is outside your cabin:) on the way home it's the same you put it outside your cabin door the last evening before going to bed then you see it again at your home airport,so no checking in luggage on the way home as I said easy. As for yourselves when you land on the way out there are buses waiting where the plane lands so you go straight to the bus which takes you to the cruise terminal for embarking. There shall be some queuing but considering the amount of people (there are usually a few planes arriving about the same time) not too bad the queue seems to keep moving!

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I assume that because you have said/been told that your cabin is on C deck, no specific number, and that you have asked for freedom dining, as opposed to it being a choice of dining options on a select booking,that you may have booked a guarantee cabin???

If that is the case, and you have agreed to accept an upgrade, then your cabin could be on any deck with, either the same grade cabin as you have booked but in a different position on the ship, or a grade or more higher, if your guarantee cabin is one of the lower grade balcony cabins, but again it will be in a different position.

If indeed you have booked a guarantee cabin and, having opted already for an upgrade, if available, then I assume that you can only change if you rebook at a select price and choose your cabin and dining times. I am sure that a member of the forum who has been in a similar position can provide you with more precise information.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Wolfie, the OP is booking from next years brochure from which most cruises don't yet have saver fares, and since she has been able to choose her dining option it probably will be a select fare.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote:
Wolfie, the OP is booking from next years brochure from which most cruises don't yet have saver fares, and since she has been able to choose her dining option it probably will be a select fare.

Remember that these cruises do not go on sale until later this week. No one pre booking with P&O will know their cabins.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

First cruise - how exciting! Anf Christmas in the Caribbean - well, why not make your first cruise a great one?

Freedom dining is my favourite but you ask if one 'misses out'? You'll 'miss out' on a set table with the same passengers and same waiters each evening. That's nice and becomes very companionable but has to be weighed against the flexibility you will gain on Freedom. The food is exactly the same

You didn't ask but one top tip I would add to the answers people have already given is that you should remember that your luggage comes direct from the airport to the ship but nonetheless is not likely to be waiting outside your cabin as soon as you embark. So make sure you put sun screen and sunglasses in your hand luggage, and swimwear or sungear if you want to get out in the afternoon sun as soon as you are onboard. Dress carefully in layers, flip flops in hand luggage and you can grab some sun before it disappears (early of course - it's the Caribbean)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Welcome to the forum

I did a Christmas cruise on Arcadia a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Look out for the Gingerbread Village, and Father Christmas arriving on Christmas Eve. You may even be able to go to a pantomime

Cruising is very addictive, so this probably won't be your last cruise!
Gill

Topic author
cruise kitten
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruise kitten »

Thank you all for your replies and making me welcome.
Getting excited and it should all be confirmed with a Cabin number on Friday.
Have been back in contact with them to say, we won't accept an upgrade if they do secure the cabin on C deck as the balcony is important as my dear hubby needs way more sleep than me!! and he wants to be in front of the stack.

Thanks for the tips on what to pack in the hand luggage, as I probably wouldn't have thought of a change of clothes for dinner, in case our cases are late arriving, or the suncream, but I always have clean underwear in it...... That is probably a woman thing.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Your luggage will be there in time for dinner! If I remember correctly it tends to arrive whilst you are at muster. It was the few hours between arrival on board and sunset I was thinking of, and whether you want to grab some early rays after leaving the gloom of shortest day, or thereabouts, back home.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Not quite sure what you mean by your husband wanting to be in front of the stack. Forward of the funnel is my guess. I wonder if he's concerned about being caught in a cloud of smoke as you sail along. If so I'd say don't worry. The funnel is pretty tall and you'd need a considerable downdraught to get anything back down to C Deck.

Topic author
cruise kitten
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruise kitten »

Just an update, I received a call confirming the cruise [A735] and our cabin is confirmed as 242.
Looking at the deck plans, this seems fine to me, so hope it is.

Mervyn and Trish, yes, it is the funnel, but hubby always refers to it/them as the stack, and if it keeps him happy being in front of it, then I am happy!!

I'm sure I will have lots of questions to ask as time ticks by and you will probably all get fed up of them, but I do like to be prepared and know a little bit about things and what to expect...............................

jetsetter
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

1st cruise on P&O

Post by jetsetter »

Just wondering about dress code for teenage children for dinner sittings. Is it acceptable that they wear dressy shorts and collared shirts or would it be seen as under dressed. Have a bit of an issue getting them to wear long pants.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Hi jetsetter and welcome

On P&O ships the only exception from the dress code is for "children" who I believe refers to anyone under 12 therefore the dress code will apply to your "teenagers" and as a minimum they will be required, in the evening, to wear "Evening Casual" (which specifically excludes shorts) and even then there will be some restrictions as to where you/they can go on "Black Tie" nights - for example they will not be allowed in the MDR.
Last edited by david63 on 27 Nov 2016, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Eh?

Am I reading that wrongly? You seem to be saying teenagers will not be allowed in the MDR. Of course they will, but not, unfortunately for them, in shorts. Dark, unripped etc, jeans are ok for non-formal nights.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

sunseeker16 wrote:
Eh?

Am I reading that wrongly? You seem to be saying teenagers will not be allowed in the MDR. Of course they will, but not, unfortunately for them, in shorts. Dark, unripped etc, jeans are ok for non-formal nights.
You are right - I missed the "Black Tie" bit out.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes no issue with teenagers in the MDR, but as has been said they are expected to adhere to adult dress codes. Given that ternagers go all the way up to 19, I think the no shorts rule is reasonable. And if they're anything like all the teenagers I know their constant wish is to be treated as adults!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I think that is absolutely fair, particularly as it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell the age of teenagers. They are definitely "young adults". Many 13-year-olds and upwards look (and dress) far more mature than I do !!

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

CK - one thing I would say about a balcony and your husband's need for sleep: we've only had a balcony once and SWMBO needs the room to be as dark as possible - the cabins on either side of us left their balcony lights on all night, which illuminated our cabin rather well :(.

He might need an eye mask to block the light out....

Welcome to the forum, Jetsetter :wave:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That's odd Shiney. We've always had very thick curtains that block out everything. We usually leave a small gap so we're woken by daylight.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
That's odd Shiney. We've always had very thick curtains that block out everything. We usually leave a small gap so we're woken by daylight.
This was on Queen Elizabeth...
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Ah. Cheapo curtains on Cunard! Always been thick on our P&O cruises. Like me some days!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Ah. Cheapo curtains on Cunard! Always been thick on our P&O cruises. Like me some days!
Bit like the custard !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Surely you mean Creme Anglaise?

Return to “New to Cruising”