Children taken out of School.

Any general cruise line chat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Children taken out of School.

Post by oldbluefox »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Even when money was very tight, we always paid the higher prices for holidays because we considered our kids' education to be more important than saving a few quid.
Absolutely!! The only flies in the ointment are those situations where parents cannot get time off to coincide with school holidays eg military.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

oldbluefox wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
Even when money was very tight, we always paid the higher prices for holidays because we considered our kids' education to be more important than saving a few quid.
Absolutely!! The only flies in the ointment are those situations where parents cannot get time off to coincide with school holidays eg military.
Yes, I was thinking about putting a caveat about the children of military personnel
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Meg 50 wrote:
Onelife wrote:
I think there is a lot of sense behind the idea of staggering school holidays by region/county this would make the foreign holiday market more competitive and leave Johnny foreigner having to adjust their prices accordingly.

Same would apply to the UK holiday market.

all very well in theory, but if families have children in different schools in neighbouring authorities ( or the parents teach in etc etc) it can be a nightmare

Hi Meg.....l see were you are coming from but l think in the majority of cases children from the same families generally get educated within the same educational authority?. As for teachers etc etc... no change of system is going to suit all circumstances but there would certainly be more winners than losers if they decided to go that way...Anyhow's..... teachers are probably more able to pay the extortionate price hikes than those of low income families. :thumbup: :D

Regards

Keith

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I thought that the current thinking was for schools across the country to standardise all school holidays rather than staggering them.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi David....l haven't a clue what the current thinking is so you may well be right. What l do know is that anything that this government puts forward is likely to be retracted as has been the case with the other 30+ u-turn polices this crap government has been forced to make....btw...While we are on the subject of schools dose anyone know what has happened about this governments...turning schools into Academies policy?

Regards

Keith

sue-ol
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sue-ol »

Why is it disruptive to their education if children have a week or so off for holidays when some work could be required, such as a diary etc when illness can keep some children out of school for that kind of time or a child be excluded for several weeks because of his haircut seems to be acceptable

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

sue-ol wrote:
Why is it disruptive to their education if children have a week or so off for holidays when some work could be required, such as a diary etc when illness can keep some children out of school for that kind of time or a child be excluded for several weeks because of his haircut seems to be acceptable

Possibly because they're not getting the tuition that their classmates are getting?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

sue-ol wrote:
I suppose it's something to do with' unavoidable absence - though I'm not sure where the hair cut fits in .....

When my class was decimated by a chicken pox epidemic I was ecstatic - it was peaceful and meant the others got more attention
Meg
x

sue-ol
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sue-ol »

Meg, a young boy was excluded last week for having a "peaky blinder" haircut. Never watched the programme but the haircut could have been a lot worse! He is excluded until his haircut has grown out.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Sue-ol...It dose appear to be a bit over the top to ban a child because of his/her hairstyle, whether that hairstyle be a peeky blinder or indeed various shades of red white and blue. What is important is that the dress code "uniform" is adhered to..if this were the case then l think the school have overstepped the mark in not allowing a child to express their individual body preferance ....l've seen some teachers with what could be perceived as personalised beards, moustaches and peculiar hairstyles who l presume still retain the ability to teach so l can't see how having an individual hair style is going to inhibit a child's ability to learn... or be detrimental to the learning of their peers.

Regards

Onelife

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The problem is that we do not know the full story and there is probably more to it than we are aware of, or should I say that the media are telling us.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

David's right, there's probably a lot more to this than we're aware of.

I would say, though, that if rules are in place for something (for example, speed limits which many people think do not apply to them), then it must be understood that breaking those rules can lead to consequences.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Rest assured Mr Shinny/David..If Sue-ol has misrepresented this story I'll be first in line to give her a good spanking :thumbup: :lol:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Tbh I have just had a look at a report and I have seen much worse. I would agree there is much more to this story than we are being told.
According to the article "Joshua's mother Claire Reape, 26, was told to change her son's hair over the weekend or he wouldn't be allowed back". If true it hints there may have been some intransigence which led to the school exclusion. It also says he has had the same haircut for seven months. Is this an issue which has been simmering and has finally come to a head?
Somewhere within the article lies the truth.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

No, the haircut was on his head all the time :lol:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

When I was doing my RAF apprenticeship in the early 70s, a lad on the base got himself a skinhead haircut. He was confined to base until it had grown out.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I am wondering if this is an actual exclusion or part of a protest by mother who has taken her son out of school because there has been an argument over his haircut (or other issues) and she has upped the anti by taking it to the press. There is no mention of an appeal to the governors. Neither is there any comment from the school or the education authority.
Much hairdo about nothing.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I had no idea what a "peaky blinders" was - it's just a short back and sides for crying out loud! Nearly all of us had those when I went to school.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

sue-ol wrote:
Meg, a young boy was excluded last week for having a "peaky blinder" haircut. Never watched the programme but the haircut could have been a lot worse! He is excluded until his haircut has grown out.
what I meant was that it was the school's decision that he wouldn't be there, not the parents'
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Not sure whether this is an official exclusion or mother has withdrawn him. It does seem drastic for an official exclusion.

As Shiney says I don't think there was an alternative to short back and sides in our day. Barbers only did one style.

OL, looks can be deceptive..................

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Yeah! I know what you mean foxy.....l can still hold a lump of butter in my mouth without it melting :angel: :lol:

:wave:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Onelife wrote:
Yeah! I know what you mean foxy.....l can still hold a lump of butter in my mouth without it melting :angel: :lol:

:wave:
:lol: :lol:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I was thinking to myself about what we used to do ref holidays when our son was a rugrat

I think we went in this country during the holidays generally, but I can remember going to Canaries a week before the term ended, because of the price difference.
I reckoned that given that he was likely to miss a bit of end of term crayoning, it wouldn't harm his A levels.
I can't even remember having to ask for permission.

It mainly depends on where the child is in their education in my opinion.

If the government changes the law on this issue to make it illegal to take your child out, they should also make it illegal for teachers to strike during term time.
Empty vessels .. and all that

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

When my lot were school age (now in their 30s) 10 days per year was permitted at the discretion of the Head. System wasn't abused that I can recall and very few took their children out. The problems seem to have arisen since legislation was introduced and common sense evaporated.

Same as most things really.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”