Azura 318n and 319n

Arrange to meet other members whilst on a cruise on Azura

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Azura 318n and 319n

Post by Jacknian »

We're doing a week in the fjords followed by 12 nights in the med, I know there are some others out there doing the same as we had started a thread on the P&O forum. Anyone like to join me on this forum ? I've got lots of questions about doing a back 2 back cruise , some of which have already been answered but I'm sure other people have also got queries.

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Azura 318n and 319n

Post by jampanda »

Hi Jackie and Ian, I was on the P and O forum with you as we are doing the same back to back as you ! so glad I found this site !
Jacqui and Steve

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hi Jacqui and Steve, so glad you found this forum, I remember you from the P&O site. We are getting so excited, only 11 weeks to go ! Have you booked any excursions ? Ive been looking on the cruise personaliser but We can't decide yet whether to book something or do our own thing.

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

:D Hiya, yes it's getting nearer all the time, if this weather continues we will be so glad to get away for some sun !
As to excursions we haven't booked any yet, may do a couple with P and O and book them soon, my Mum and Dad are travelling with us too so we have to sort out what all four of us want to do.
On the Norway part in Bergen we will go up the Funicular if the weather is clear, will just get a taxi for this, Olden-not sure have done trip here before , village is close enough to walk to and there is a noddy train. Stavanger there is a HOHO bus might try that ! Andalsnes not sure !
On the Spanish part, Lisbon there is a HOHO bus, Gibraltar we may do the trip up the rock to see the Apes, Barcelona not sure,there are HOHO buses, Valencia we want to go to the Oceanagrafic park which is only a short distance away by taxi, Malaga not sure ? and Seville/Cadiz Mum and Dad want to do a trip but it is a 4 hour coach one, and I am not so keen ! I know they make stops but I find the shorter the better !
We have been quite naughty and booked next years cruise too ! are you planning any others ? and have you cruised before ?
Jacqui

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hi, Jacqui, yes we have been cruising for about 10 years now, absolutely LOVE it ! Can't see me ever doing any other type of holiday now. We have converted our daughter and son in law too, they are travelling with us this year. We have also booked next years cruise, I do like to have one to look forward to. We are going to eastern med on Azura, calling at Venice and Dubrovnik as well as a few other places. We have been before, but it was so hot that we didn't really see much of the ports, so I wanted to return again. We are going in September next year so hopefully it will still be warm but not so hot. Where are you planning on going ? It's interesting what you say about Norway, we have not been there before and are really looking forward to it. It sounds like we may be able to do our own thing in olden, I really don't like heights so I won't be going up the funicular! Quite like the sound of the river trip to see the glacier -- off hand can't remember where that is but will probably book that with P&O. On the Spanish part will probably stay on the ship in Gibraltar as we have been there about 4 times now. The trip up the rock is really nice, and the monkeys are really tame, we also went in the tunnels which are very interesting. Cadiz is a lovely little town , we have been there a few times, it's well worth a wander around although we did get lost last time ! The streets are set out in a grid pattern and all look the same so a good map is a necessity . We've never been to Valencia and the oceanagrafic park sounds interesting. Never been to Malaga either so don't know what's there. It's so exciting planning it all though, I love all the build up to a cruise and even enjoy the packing !

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, we have been cruising 10 years this year too ! first one was our honeymoon,so this years is for our 10th anniversary and it was us that converted my parents to cruising ! some funny similarities there. we all love it too and rarely do any other holidays, and we also like to have some planned to look forward to, and I love all the planning. we have got one for August next year all round the Greek islands,I think it will be pretty hot !
Norway is lovely, Olden is the prettiest, the lake trip there is good but as we said before it is do able on foot.
I don't like heights but did the Funicular before in Bergen but I had no problem with it, its things like ladders I hate !!
What questions did you have re back to back cruises ? not sure I will know the answer, but you never know ?

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hello again, Yes there are some funny coincidences, another one, -- our daughter and son in law will be celebrating their anniversary while on the cruise , although only their 5 th. is your anniversary while you are on the cruises ? Some questions I have about b2b cruise are ' what happens on changeover day? Are we ok to stay in our cabin ? Or do they like you to get off the ship ? I know if you get off you have to leave by the crew exit . We were hoping to stay on as we've seen Southampton a few times. It will obviously be really busy in the buffet for breakfast so we thought we would get some food and take it back to the cabin , then sit on our balcony ( weather permitting ! ) and watch everyone else getting off ! Also will we be able to book things for the second cruise, - eg spa , select dining etc, while still on the first cruise ? After the first cruise we will be changing to the Mediterranean level so different discount in the shops etc, someone else has said that they treat the cruise completely separately and you have to pay after each one so we won't be able to carry over the bill from one cruise to the next which is a shame . Can't think of anything else at the moment but hopefully you may know some of the answers. Have you done a b2 b cruise before ? This will be our longest time away so far, last year was 17 nights , but this year is 19 . Can't wait !

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, it's our anniversary on the day we sail 26th July and also my Mum and Dad's on the same day theirs is 55 years.
As far as I know we are fine to stay on board and in our cabins on the changeover day, I like the idea of a picnic on the balcony ! this would be good for lunch too as the buffet will be bedlam then, and I guess there will be no room service until later on, and it will be fun to watch everyone get off.
Don't know about booking things for second cruise, it would be very handy. But I think you are right about treating each cruise separately.
I do know we can get our next cruise card from the reception desk, and not have to go back to the check in desks, and yes we can come and go through the staff exit, I doubt we will get off in Southampton, we only live about an hour away so do have visit sometimes to go to Ikea or other big stores, and apart from shopping there's not a lot to get off for !
This will be our first back to back but not our longest, that was 24 nights last autumn to the Caribbean. But also can't wait to be back onboard.
I have been looking at other excursions for the Norway part, and looked the website for Rauma railway in Andalsnes it looks amazing- but P and O want £ 61.00 each that's one way by train and back by coach, if we book online both ways by train are £25.00 ish and half this for seniors/disabled, not sure whether to go ahead and book though - what if the weather is rubbish ?

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hi Jacqui and Steve, how lovely that you and your parents have your anniversaries on the same day, and that you will be on the ship for it. I can't think of a better place for a celebration ! Our daughter and son in law have theirs on the 1st August so on the sea day on our way back to Southampton. I hadn't thought about getting a different cruise card for the second cruise, I assumed you just kept the one you had. But it will be good if you just pick it up from reception, imagine if you had to get off the ship and go through check in again ! That would spoil all the fun of watching all the poor people getting off. I agree with you about the weather possibly spoiling trips, that's one of the reasons we haven't booked anything, apparently the excursions go ahead whatever the weather, and we have heard that the weather is very unpredictable in Norway. ( bit like here really ) the only trip I'm definitely booking is the 'tropical flora' excursion in stavanger, that's if there's still places, on the website it says that it is a very popular one so may have left it too late. My daughter is the one holding things up as she can't decide what to do and it would be nice to all go together. She prefers wine tasting etc ,But I tell her you can have plenty of that on the ship ! The P&O trips are expensive, so if you can do it independently then go for it, I guess you have to take a risk with the weather. The only advantage with the organised trips are that you know the ship won't go without you .

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, yes you are right about not getting left behind if you are on a P and O excursion ! that's the one thing Steve always panics about , so we always get back on board well before time, it's sensible really as you always see people tearing down to the gangways at the last mo and I would hate to do that too ! and I really hope that our weather here picks up soon as Norway's weather is similar, we have been all through the excursions again and are still un-decided-for all sorts of reasons, we liked the sound of the tropical flora one, but not the idea of being on a guided tour, so I am wondering if that one is possible to do independently ??
We are quite excited to celebrate our anniversaries onboard, it's a great excuse for a cruise if we needed one ! I also have my Birthday onboard, but not any special one so not making too much of that ! Steve has his 50th coming up in a couple of years so will have to find a great cruise for that one !
Hope you have had a good weekend, we haven't done much but have been to the gym twice, trying to get in shape for the cruise ! LOL
Chat soon.

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hello Jacqui and Steve, well we have finally booked a couple of trips, the tropical garden one in stavanger and the flamenco tour in Cadiz. Our daughter is a dance teacher so she is keen to see the flamenco although my husband and hers are not so enthusiastic ! You do get wine as well so they have agreed to go. I think that you can do the garden trip independently as on you tube there are some videos people have made that show a boat painted with flowers going over to the island. It looks lovely so we are just hoping for some nice weather now. Have you had the booklet from P&O with the cruise information , trips, labels etc ? Or have you 'gone green ' ? We don't have a printer so I have always had the booklet in the past but it hasn't arrived yet this time. May have to ring them if it doesn't come soon. I am also trying to lose a bit of weight, ready to put it all on again on the cruise ! Sickeningly my husband doesn't have to worry about it as he is naturally slim and doesn't even seem to put much weight on after 2 weeks of lots of nice food. I have started looking at my 'cruise clothes ' and deciding if anything needs cleaning etc, then hanging them in our spare room ready for packing eventually. I know it's way too early but I'm just itching to get started! 9 weeks tomorrow !

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, Glad you haven't had your booklet either ! we could go green but have been avoiding it ! but now very tempted as we want more info, surely the booklets should be out really soon ? only 9 weeks tomorrow woooooo ! can't wait.
Those trips sound good, think that some wine will definitely help with the Flamenco one ! I had a look at the website for the tropical gardens they look amazing-will have to make some decisions re trips soon, hopefully this weekend Mum, Dad, Steve and I can sit down and read all the info, esp if the booklets have turned up-it's easier to read together than off the screen, I did print a couple but got so many pages I gave up !
we have been looking at our cruise clothes too, somehow I have "lost" 3 pairs of Steve's smart casual trousers, we must of brought them home after the last cruise and put them away after washing them, the question is where ! this is a good excuse for a turn out and chuck out of some old stuff, and we may have to go clothes shopping ! such fun !
It's not too soon to start getting ready the time flies by, before we know it we will only have a few weeks to go - I am hoping for some decent weather to get some extra washing dried and ironed ready, but the weather is not that good yet, my washing has got rained on about 4 times today !

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Well, only 8 weeks tomorrow, and still no booklet so I rang P&O this morning and the lady I spoke to said they don't come out until about 6 to 7 weeks before sailing now. I thought I remembered that it was 10 weeks before but she said it hadn't been that for a few years . So still a couple of weeks to wait, how annoying ! Still no good weather either, but the forecast does say its going to be nice at the weekend, in our area anyway ( Cambridgeshire ) we are going to London for the weekend to see a couple of shows so that should take my mind off the non appearance of the cruise booklet ! Hope your clothes shopping is going well and you've found Steves trousers !

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Well the cruise booklet for the first cruise has arrived at last, complete with labels for our cases. We won't need the labels for the second cruise I assume. It seems very close now, 6 weeks on Friday and I'm getting very excited !

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Hi Guys..... plenty of time for me to put you into the Bon Voyage section.... it will be there a few days before you go.... 8-)
The pesky scarfaced pirate

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, sorry I have not been on here for ages ! have been very busy, we had a week away in Dorset which was a bit of a flop - stick to cruises me thinks ! since then Dad has been poorly in Hospital, hopefully coming home soon, so we now have 5 weeks to get him ready for this cruise- just hoping he can do it- not sure if not whether we will all cancel or just Mum and Dad ? we will have to see.
On a lighter note I still haven't found Steve's trousers, I think they must be put away with his DJ which if we are still going will have to go to the cleaners first, so I am hoping the trousers re appear then ! We did manage to get rid of a load of old clothes though when I turned out the wardrobe I thought they were in !
Hope all ok with you, its not long now only 5 weeks !
Whereabouts are you in Cambridgeshire ? my grandparents used to live there, so I know some parts quite well.
We are in sunny Bognor Regis, on the coast about an hour away from Southampton- very handy !

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hello Jacqui and Steve, I'm so sorry to hear your dad isn't well, I hope he gets better soon and is able to go on the cruise. We live in a small village about 15 miles to the west of Cambridge , called fenstanton. It's near to st Ives if you know that? Bognor Regis is a nice place, we've been there a couple of times on holiday, many years ago before we had our children, So I expect its changed a lot. Where were your grandparents from ? I hope you find Steves trousers soon or you may have to go on a shopping spree, I love shopping for myself but men's clothes are a bit boring ! I've just bought a lovely new black and white dress today, I must stop shopping, as I've already got enough clothes for about 3 changes a day ! I've had both cruise booklets now and the tickets for the first cruise are available to print now. I guess we don't need the tickets for the second cruise do we ? 5 weeks and counting ! I've got my fingers crossed for you that you make it.

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, Steve and I have decided to continue with our cruise as planned, but my Mum and Dad are going to cancel their booking as Dad is still in hospital, he is improving gradually but we don't think he will be ready for the holiday and it's not worth the risk, hopefully they can book another later. So Steve and I are getting excited that we will still be going, but at the same time feel a bit bad that they won't be with us.
I don't know Fenstanton but I have been to St Ives many years ago, my Grandparents lived in Littleport near Ely but my Gran was actually born in Melton Constable near Holt.
It sounds like you having fun with your shopping, I will need to do some soon !
The E ticket for the second cruise, I think we had better print them and take them with us so we can get our cruise cards for the second cruise ! otherwise they might not let us go ! Not long to go now ! Hope all ok with you JX

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hello again, sorry to hear that your parents won't be able to make the cruise, they must be so disappointed. It's not worth taking a risk with your health though. I hope your dad will be better soon. We know little port as my husbands sister lives in soham which is quite near Ely, But it is a long way from fenstanton. 4 weeks now and I'm making lists of what to take and things I have to do before we go, like cancelling papers and milk deliveries and getting some euros and krona, we have a dog so she is going in the kennels but we have to get her booster vaccinations done before we go, and get her groomed so she doesn't get too dirty while she's away. I haven't got a printer so I need to get my daughter to print out the tickets, so I'll remind her we need the tickets for the second cruise as well. My shopping is all done although I may buy a waterproof jacket as all mine are only shower proof which may not be enough ! I'm hoping Norway isn't too bad but you never know. My husband is convinced it's going to be freezing and keeps saying he's going to spend the week on the balcony wrapped up in his fleece, jacket, scarf etc ! At least we have the second cruise to warm up.

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya, it sounds like you are really organised ! I am definitely not !! still haven't found the lost trousers, or sorted the dry cleaning out ,am really trying hard now to get sorted but we are still spending a lot of time visiting Dad in Hospital, he is still improving and is very keen to get home.
I definitely need to make some lists of all the jobs to do, cancel papers etc still I have 4 weeks, that is going to go sooo fast now !
Hopefully Norway will be warm, we went in June 2 years ago and the weather was good apart from Bergen, they get lots of rain there so the waterproof may well be handy, hoping it will be clear though so we can go up the Funicular. But as you say if it is chilly we have got our second cruise to warm up and get a tan ! Glad you have a balcony cabin too we wouldn't book anything else now, cannot beat balcony cabins , which deck are you on ?

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hi again, yes I try to be organised but there's always some drama that happens even if I think everything is sorted out ! Once we lost our passports, luckily found them in time to go, another time I forgot to cancel the milk and had to phone my neighbour to put out a note for the milkman, a friend of ours went on a cruise last year and left their hand luggage sitting on the kitchen table ! With all their medicines , jewellery, sunglasses, etc etc left behind ! Not good, I've never been that bad. I make lists and tick things off as I do them, hopefully everything will be done by the time we go, - you still have plenty of time, so don't worry . We have a balcony cabin on deck c , mid ships on the starboard side, don't know why but we always go for the starboard side, and deck c balconys are so much bigger than the others. We haven't been on Azura before but we have been on Ventura so knew the balconys on c deck were the best. ( unless you have a suite of course ) we also would never go for an inside cabin, on our very first cruise we booked a balcony cabin and couldnt change now. We love the balcony, you can't beat sitting out there with a coffee, or a glass of wine looking out for dolphins, or in my husbands case sleeping in the sun ! Only 3 weeks and 5 days to go now, on Monday we'll be able to say we're going on holiday THIS month !

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Ha Ha Steve always goes to sleep in the sun too ! So Do Mum and Dad but I think that's allowed on holidays, but as you say you really cannot beat a balcony cabin, we also had one our first cruise and would never change, although I suppose a suite might be nice but if we dared to try one we would probably always want one !
So far on other trips we haven't had too many problems with forgetting things, the year we moved house after a cruise was a bit of a drama because we left home to stay with my parents the day before the cruise started, only to get a phone call from our estate agent after a piece of paperwork and the buyers wanted another viewing ! luckily our neighbour was able to sort things out for us, then we had loads of phone calls while were away and exchanged contracts on the port side in Lisbon ! then when we got back on the Friday we moved house the following Tuesday, we seriously needed another cruise after that !
So it's not long to go now so I had better write some lists ! We have given in and booked some more excursions as it is just the two of us going we thought we would stick with the P & O trips, less complicated and Steve does worry about getting left behind at every port, so this way there is no trouble ! He has been trying to get me to book the cable car trip in Gibraltar !!!! I am not sure at all !
Dad is still improving he should be having an Angiogram tomorrow which might help see what's going on, but they have done the right thing cancelling their trip as there is no way he would be ready and able to get around properly.

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Hello both of you, glad to hear your dad is improving, it will put your mind at rest at least, nothing worse than being on holiday if someone in your family is ill. I can't believe you sold your house while mid cruise ! And then moving so quickly when you got back. You really must organise things better if you ever move again - Holiday AFTER moving ! Have you been in your new house long ? We have also booked another trip,with P&O , - we decided to go to the oceanographic park after you told us about it so we have booked that trip. It sounds really good and I do like zoos, aquariums etc. our daughter has decided not to do that one so we will be on our own for that. We haven't been on the cable car in Gibraltar,- my husband would go on it but I don't like heights. ( as I may have said before ! ) and I really can't think of anything worse than having my legs dangling in mid air over a mountain ! And the rest of me of course. I couldn't even go on the London eye when all the rest of my family went on, I stayed on the ground and took some photos and held all the bags. Well 3 weeks tomorrow and we will be sitting on board having lunch ! Have you had your time for boarding yet ? We are driving down and parking with cps, and have been told to get there at 3 , no chance of sticking to that, we will leave home at 8 and hopefully arrive at Southampton about mid day. My husband can't wait for his first beer and plate of chips on board, then the holiday has really started.

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

Hiya I have found the trousers !!

We moved here to Bognor Regis nearly 3 years ago, my parents moved here first about 4 years earlier, I am so glad we have been here to help recently, Dad is getting better every day and is due home soon.
We have also booked the oceanagrafic park and the floral trip in Norway,I have just booked the cable car in Gibraltar - must be nuts ! the sun has gone to my head today, I did check the website and it looks like a fairly solid walk on cable car, I HOPE ! no way could I do a leg dangling one.
Our time for boarding is 12.30 but we do the same as you and get there asap ! because Steve is Disabled we get to sit with all the others needing assistance etc and we usually get a cuppa and wait our turn to go aboard, we don't need a lot of help and they look after us well, so we should be onboard nice and early !
Not long now !

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Well thank goodness Steve will have some trousers for the cruise ! Only 13 days to go now and I have started packing, think we will have 3 cases this time as we are away for 19 days. I just can't cut down on my outfits as you never know what you will need and I do like a choice. Think I'm going to have about 10 pairs of shoes too ! Another reason why I love cruising, no restriction on luggage - well sailing from Southampton anyway. It's not only the clothes though that take up the space, we take so many other things too , like cameras , binoculars, 2 kindles , 2 phones and all the chargers too. Might take my I pad , not sure yet as the Internet access is so slow don't know if its worth it. Then there's all the toiletries and medicines and first aid kit, my make up ( that needs a case to itself ! ) spare hangers , sun creams, etc etc, the list is never ending . How I ever coped when we used to fly on holiday I don't know. Sounds like you are doing some of the same trips that we are, may see you on the coach then, not that I'd know it was you as you don't have a photo on here, neither do I so you won't know it's me either !

Return to “The Meeting Place - Azura”