Are we Missing Part of the Story?

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are we Missing Part of the Story?

Post by david63 »

I don't often look at Facecloth but over the last day or so there has been an ongoing saga about one (or is it two, or even three?) blind couples being denied boarding/off loaded by the Captain.

The response on FB from P&O was
Having done a full safety assessment with the guests our medical team felt it would be unsafe for them to travel on the ship unaccompanied. We have offered the guests a full refund and will be discussing this further with them.
As is normal with this type of comment on FB there is total outrage and if what has been posted is true then it would appear to be wrong.

My gut feeling, though, is that there is a part of this story that has been omitted - otherwise known as "Why spoil a good story with the facts"

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Are we Missing Part of the Story?

Post by Meg 50 »

I wondered too - specially as people are popping up with tales about blind people alone on board.

Clearly we're only hearing the part that they (the 'wronged') want us to hear. and obviously P&O won't divulge the whole story
Meg
x

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I know nothing about this story (must read up) but I wonder if it is similar to the reasons used by airlines in relation to unaccompanied disabled people that may need help in the case of an emergency. I can appreciate that a ship could be a very dangerous place for someone with poor visibility (not to worry no visibility), but surely this should be checked at time of booking ... not when a person is trying to boar or is already onboard.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Allegedly, it is claimed, they completed the "usual" disability forms when booking - however what they put on the forms can only be open to speculation.

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

On our recent Ventura cruise there was a couple both blind, I think the lady partially, on the ship. We saw them on a number of occasions and once in the Glass House we saw and heard one of the bar staff take them to a table, talked them through the full menu, then when he brought it put it down and explain what item on the plate was in what location. He then kept an eye on them until they were finished and left the restaurant. Great service.
Regards

Peter

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

someone has just posted this:
....... P&O make it clear they can't provide assistance to visually impaired or blind passengers other than a brief orientation of the ship so the fact they asked for an assigned contact for assistance on the cruise led to the revised assessment
beginning to make sense now
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Is there a link cos I can never navigate my way around Fb?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

When we were on Aurora recently there was a note in Horizon about an assistance dog being on board with a request not to distract it from its task. Something I've never seen before. But indeed there it was with a blind lady with her partner who was himself elderly and a little infirm. And the three of them managed very well and we even saw them ashore independently in Bergen. So clearly there is no prejudice against blind people when sensible arrangements can be made. As others say I suspect there is much P&O are politelying not saying

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

oldbluefox wrote:
Is there a link cos I can never navigate my way around Fb?
it's (well, several of them) in the messages on the lhs of the P&O FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pandocruises
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Meg :thumbup: :wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
When we were on Aurora recently there was a note in Horizon about an assistance dog being on board with a request not to distract it from its task. Something I've never seen before. But indeed there it was with a blind lady with her partner who was himself elderly and a little infirm. And the three of them managed very well and we even saw them ashore independently in Bergen. So clearly there is no prejudice against blind people when sensible arrangements can be made. As others say I suspect there is much P&O are politelying not saying
There was a someone with an assistance dog who posted on a forum about her experiences on P&O, and it was fascinating reading. I can't remember what forum it was though.

With the current story, as with every story, there's two sides and it's very difficult to make a judgement with knowing the other side
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yes, we came across a chap with a dog getting off one of Fred's ships in Tenerife a couple of years back. Apparently they have been "dog-friendly" for a while

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

qbman1 wrote:
Yes, we came across a chap with a dog getting off one of Fred's ships in Tenerife a couple of years back. Apparently they have been "dog-friendly" for a while
My warped mind but how do they toilet these dogs?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Well, they house-trained Merv so a golden Labrador should be easy !

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

It was a lady who used to post - she explained everything - fascinating.

The dog had a designated area on deck with a 'litter tray' - and being a fully trained Guide dog, was absolutely trustworthy about only going where he was told.
Meg
x

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds fair, Meg.

Wouldn't do on a weekend "party cruise" though - the way the hen parties were staggering about after a few sherberts, more than a few would have their Jimmy Choos in it !!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

she did 'full length' cruises - had her doggie passport, and the port agent booked the vet at the last port (all dogs taken abroad have to see vet at last land fall before return)
Meg
x

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

This incident was reported on the BBC Radio 4 In Touch program the other day - http://iono.fm/e/314958

Listening to that broadcast I now have a theory as to what may have happened.

They declared their disabilities at the time of booking stating that they were effectively blind, implying that one, or more, of them was not totally blind. If during the period between booking and embarkation their condition had deteriorated and they had not informed the cruise line then this could possibly have been what caused the problem.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Meg 50 wrote:
It was a lady who used to post - she explained everything - fascinating ...
It was indeed ... Jess2010 - ish and was the dog called Charlie ?

They used to sail on the same ship each time, Oceana pre the latest modification I recall.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We came across two blind ladies on Oceana last year and a happier couple you could not wish to meet. One seemed to be totally blind and the other had some very limited vision. However it did not seem to stop them going about their business. We often came across them in the lifts, of all places, which never seemed to be stopping where they wanted to get off unless some kind soul helped them out. I will always remember how cheerful they were despite their disabilities.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

oldbluefox wrote:
We came across two blind ladies on Oceana last year and a happier couple you could not wish to meet. One seemed to be totally blind and the other had some very limited vision. However it did not seem to stop them going about their business. We often came across them in the lifts, of all places, which never seemed to be stopping where they wantedto get off unless some kind soul helped them out. I will always remember how cheerful they were despite their disabilities.
That seems to affect 50% of the passengers, blind or not, going up to go down!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It was a pleasure to share the lift with them, they were such good fun.

I always remember seeing a programme about people who were deaf and blind and thinking how awful that must be. The couple they showed had a totally different attitude and took everything in their stride. It annoys me to hear able bodied people moaning about trivia.

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”