Topics relating to P&O

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Internet Upgrade

Post by wolfie »

Happydays wrote:
wolfie wrote:
We never use the internet when we are on holiday, be it on a cruise or on land. So..............any changes to charges are immaterial to us.

Even if it was free internet access , we would still not use it.
We're the same. I keep my phone in the safe while on board and only check it once a day, usually early evening before going to dinner. I take it with us when going ashore in case a problem occurs.

Same here, phone lives in the safe and only taken out when going ashore. Glad someone is on the same wavelength as us. :x :thumbup:

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Brenda W wrote:
Hello

We have returned from a cruise on Arcadia with the new internet charges in place. We waited until we were on board to buy the package and paid £62.50 for 14 days which came down with the discount. (This was half price) We We were able to check emails and get on google and facebook. This I believe is the middle package.

Brenda
Just a bit confused by this
If it's £7 or £12 per 24 hours how did 14 days come to £62.50p
Are there mega-special deals when you board ?

I normally rely on the mobile phone as I need to keep in touch because my mother is 98
At that price I would be tempted to connect the I pad
John

Brenda W
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Brenda W »

Yes John there are deals when you are on board.

Brenda

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Happydays wrote:
wolfie wrote:
We never use the internet when we are on holiday, be it on a cruise or on land. So..............any changes to charges are immaterial to us.

Even if it was free internet access , we would still not use it.
We're the same. I keep my phone in the safe while on board and only check it once a day, usually early evening before going to dinner. I take it with us when going ashore in case a problem occurs.
In part I'm kind of in agreement with both of you, which is why I don't see the new charges as a step forward.

We like to stay in touch with family at home and under the old scheme, especially in a run of sea days, Facebook and Messenger were cheaper ways of doing it than the mobile phone.

For example under a similar "improved" tariff, designed no doubt for those who are addicted to film downloads and gaming, my 02 mobile now costs £1.99 a day if I turn it on ashore abroad. If I wanted to watch the entire box set of Game of Thrones it might be a bargain. But to send a couple of texts to our daughter or granddaughters, Facebook and Messenger were better bets, and we could send photos too. And of course at sea it's even worse - £1.50 a minute last time I checked.

But suddenly now the new "improved" P&O tariffs have leap frogged O2, even at half price.

But if ever we are exalted enough to get free internet we'll certainly use it rather than the phone. The one thing we don't intend to do is waste our holiday time trekking round looking for free Wi-Fi ashore.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

On board Arcadia now. Went to see the Internet manager no deals on board. £7.75 a day for face book etc. £12.50 a day for e mails and browsing and £24.50 per day for downloading and streaming. Decided not to bother but today we had to get in touch with someone urgently by email. Tried the £7.75 package but e mails would not down load so upgraded to £12.50 package and works fine quite fast. We only have it for 24 hours then will try to do without until Thursday when we will need it again.

Sue

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

I think P & O are dinosaurs with their internet - in the past I've paid for various "packages" whilst on board and using their computers. The connections were always so slow and I'd use 5/10 minutes worth of time before actually getting to the page I wanted. Or worse - no signal available.

Sometimes I like to follow friends on cruises and check the webcams to see the weather but often more times than not, there are no pictures due to lack of signal.

I dont own an Ipad but tend to use my phone for checking emails etc. and wait til we're ashore to connect. I'm with O2 but am not sure how reasonable they are compared to other providers. I do remember that anywhere in Norway or in Norwegian waters was jolly expensive!

Return to “P&O”