Regal Princess come back new?....

Anything about Princess cruises

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Regal Princess come back new?....

Post by Happydays »

Here I go again, My experience of Regal Princess to New England & Canada I shall give my impression of the ship and Princess in an other review.

This cruise has been on our "wish list" for some time, sounds as if it would be nice. We booked a few days in New York at the same time as the cruise was only for a week.
We flew out the day before and stayed in a hotel in Brooklyn as the ship was leaving from the Brooklyn terminal. When we checked in we booked a taxi to take us to the terminal the next day at 1pm.

Day One Embarkation :
After breakfast we got a taxi to the Brooklyn Public Library it was vast, then we walked along to the Brooklyn Museum via the Botanic Gardens they were just tasters really but we enjoyed what we had time to see. We had arrange for a taxi to collect us from outside the museum at 12.15 then went for two bottles of wine for drinking in the cabin (more about that in the next report). We got down to the terminal shortly after 1pm. when we arrived it was chaos every man for himself. Everyone is given the same time 1pm-4pm sailing at 5pm. The sail out of New York was spectacular made better by having lovely sunshine. Sailing past the Statue of Liberty and the New York skyline of the Empire State Building and Brooklyn Bridge was very nice.

Day Two New Port 7.am - 5.pm:
This was a tender port, as we were doing DIY we decide to have a leisurely breakfast in the buffet before going to collect tickets for the tender thank goodness we were "elite" (due to our P&O points) we were given priority tenders the queue was terrible as you can imagine with the volume of passengers on board. The sail into the harbor was quite scenic. Once a shore we intended to do the cliff walk but directions were dismal, we never found it! these cliffs must be minute. When we gave up we went back to the harbor area and seen a sign for boat trips but after talking to some others who had the same idea gave up on that as well they had been waiting for nearly 30 min after the time advertised. By this time we were fed-up so went back to catch a tender back to the ship. In the end the high light of this port was a stream of vintage cars and vehicles being driven through the town on there way to a show someplace else.

Day Three Boston 11am - 8pm:
Another sunny day have been lucky with the weather. I'm glad something is going well. We were slightly late docking as we had to wait behind Carnival Sunshine to get aside. We went and had an early lunch to hopefully let the disembarking queues be reduced. We had prepaid for shuttle tickets $15.95pp into the city. Printed on the tickets shuttle times between 11am and last one 6pm. Once ashore we asked where to go (no signs) and were told no need to queue just go out the far doors and turn left, well the queue was BIG eventually we got a shuttle, none turned up for over 40 minutes some people were going back on board to get refunds! To crown it all the driver announces before getting off that the last shuttle is now 5pm. The shuttle drops you off beside Quincy Market, there is also a nice square with zodiac animal heads we had a stroll round there and followed the "Red brick Path" for the tea route didn't go all the way but what we did was good we then went for a restoring alcoholic drink before going for the return shuttle to be faced with another queue.

Day Four Bar Harbor 7am - 6pm:
Another pretty sail in. We booked an excursion here Arcadia National Park Guided Walk at 2.30pm so we went ashore earlier to have a walk round town before joining it. It's a nice little town but after walking up the equivalent of a "High Street" and along the shore road there wasn't much to see only tourist shops and some restaurants which were all very busy. Anyway we went on the walk. Once on board the bus for a short journey we were taken along a gravel path to a beach where the highlight was pointing out some Herring Gulls! then back to the coach for a 10 min journey to take a walk in the woods which was what it was all about but you would see more in the local woods at home the paths were all rather manicured not in there natural formation perhaps they are afraid of being sued if someone falls, not what we were expecting as we do quite a lot of walking when at home. They told us you may see beaver, deer etc needless to say we didn't no surprise there!

Day Five St John, New Brunswick 9am -8.45pm:
The weather is staying good warm when in the sunshine but slightly chilly in the shade. Another late docking by more than an hour, two other ships already in port the Carnival Sunshine and Splendor of the Seas both big. We had an excursion booked St John Highlights and Reversing Falls by Trolley, my husband had done his home work before booking and we booked the time for the optimum experience of seeing the effects of the two currents colliding BUT because we were late docking we arrived to late to see it,it was more just like a rapid in a river you could see the different directions of the water but not the height difference very disappointing. Back at the port we had a walk through the indoor market before going for a restoring drink and going back on board.

Day Six Halifax 1pm - 10pm
Last port day it's colder here. We just done a DIY. we walked along the board walk into town and went to the Titanic museum then just had a stroll up the hill to town before returning to the ship after having a refreshment

Day seven at Sea:
Just the usual last day cruising things going on. Packed and lazed.

To sum up this cruise it's the first time ever (on any holiday) that I've been glad that it was only for a week. We were very disappointed with the experience and as a result of that we have cancelled the cruise we had booked with Princess for April.

Hope if you finished reading this that you got some useful information :wave:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Regal Princess come back new?....

Post by GillD46 »

What a shame that your experience wasn't what you'd hoped, and surprising because each of our Princess cruises has been excellent. Of course, the ships we were on were smaller and I guess that makes a difference. I hoe your stay in New York was more enjoyable - and thank goodness for the good weather eh?
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Happydays, I'm so sorry you felt let down with this cruise. We have done the USA and Canada trip twice with PO and we have loved it and, if it wasn't for insurance issues for my husband, we would happily do it again. Obviously going from Southampton instead of flying out does mean you are at sea for 5 or 6 days at both ends of the cruise but we are retired so it isn't an issue for us - not so easy for working people.

We loved Newport, Rhode Island and Bar Harbour but recently they don't always get included on the PO itinerary or sometimes get cancelled at the last minute.

If you ever decide to try again, perhaps using PO, the advantage is they moor right up the Hudson level with the street which is 20 minutes walk from Times Square and they are usually there for 2 days.

When we went in 2012 they moored off of Newport, Rhode Island and we tendered in and caught the local 67 bus to the end of the Cliff Walk (behind the huge mansions like The Breakers). A group of us walked from Rough End to Narrangessett (?)Avenue and I needed a fair bit of help over the very rocky area with boulders to clamber over - not sure I could do it now. Yes - the 'cliffs' are pathetic!!!

For Bar Harbour we caught Oli's Trolley for a 1 hour trip up Cadillac Mountain with some stunning views.

I hope I'm not adding to your disappointment but it is just to give you an alternative view of these places in case you ever decide to try again. I believe Suekersh did the trip recently so could probably give you more up to date info.

I'm looking forward to your review of Regal Princess.

Maureen

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I'm glad that you both had good experiences. I think part of the problem occurred because the ship was so big for the ports. We liked the ports but just didn't find enough to do after seeing the main "event"
It's a pity we didn't know about the local bus for the cliff walk. Also it was a Sunday and mostly closed. Surprisingly when there was a larger number of people in port.

I always ready the cruise reports that you both submit and always enjoy them.

I

Return to “Princess”