Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Post by qbman1 »

They must have had fun putting the Horizn't together (unless they roll the same copy out each year !)

I agree with Sue about the new Sindhu menus. We experienced them on Oriana at Christmas and were most impressed. They also rolled out a special one-off lunch on the last sea day, which was a treat

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Afternoon all, hope you're all well. Here's more from Sue :

Sat 11 February 2017 3 rd sea Day to Auckland

Gosh Friday never came but went and it's now Saturday.

Woke up to gloomy skies and they didn't get any better after the exercise class and breakfast.

It was warm but nowhere near as warm as yesterday and it will gradually cool the further away from the equator we sail.

Eventually the sun came out for a while but it didn't last. I made use of my time by colouring my hair. Our cabin steward was highly amused when Garry asked him for some rubber gloves so that he could do the back for me.

The Captain made an emergency announcement for card carrying blood doners to help another seriously ill passenger.

John Bartram the Entertainment manager did a special talk in the Globe about celebrating 180 years of P & O cruises.

The 4th formal night of this sector and looking around the dining room it was mainly the men who had made an effort, but later in the Globe the dancers are passengers who go dress to impress on formal nights. I love them and always make an effort.

It was Saturday Night live in the Palladium with Ian Cooper and the Lady Killers sharing the stage. We didn't attend this performance and instead after dinner we headed for the East Bar where we joined a couple of friends, who are leaving the ship in Auckland , for a catch up and farewell drink before we headed back to the Globe for the Formal night Ball.

Last sea day tomorrow before we reach Auckland and say goodbye to 200 passengers.

Sunday 12 February, final sea day before Auckland

The ship had rocked and rolled again all night. I slept for a couple of hours then woke needing a sea sickness tablet. I didn't get back off until the early hours and when the alarm went off I turned it off and stayed in bed. The last thing I wanted to do was to go to the exercise class.

When I finally came to Garry had made me a coffee and passed me my anniversary card and when he had finally finished watching the football he gave me my present that he had squirrelled away since Curacao.

It was still raining but the cloud was clearing and by the time I came back from breakfast the sun was full on the balcony and was very hot. Speaking to others around the ship the wind on deck had a bite to it but we were sheltered from it.

We wandered around the Guess bag sale. Now normally elbows have to be sharpened for this event but not today as there were more shop staff than customers. There was nothing that inspired me or encouraged me to spend. The Guess bags looked dull and unloved.

We stopped by the Tahitian Pearl counter and I was tempted by some pearls and the price appeared very reasonable when compared to what they were asking in the market in Tahiti but much to Garry's relief I walked away empty handed.

Someone had organised a meet up for the Spanish Class in the Viceroy Room. I went but never found out who had arranged this and we suspect it was Iris our Spanish Instructor who disembarked in Tahiti. No doubt she was hoping we would complete our homework. If so she is going to be disappointed.

We had lunch on the balcony with a bottle of champagne sat in the lovely sunshine. This is definitely the perfect way to spend our anniversary. The Pacific Ocean still had a swell but it had calmed down considerably since last night.

We had another lazy afternoon mainly because of the bottle of champagne and the warm sunshine, although fuelled by the champagne I decided to do the exercises I should have done this morning on the balcony.

We had booked dinner in the Ocean Grill and it was music night with Chris Shaw and it was very busy.
The food as usual was delicious. I had soft shell Crab followed by a huge lobster. Garry opted for Prawn cocktail and fillet steak followed by the Sherry Trifle Wally Ladd. He swore that he was going to order Creme brûlée but when he opened his mouth the words came out wrong.
I had cheese and biscuits to finish which was not a great choice but I was so full anyway after the humongous lobster.

Another Variety show in the Palladium with a ballerina and Acrobatic Prince along with a guest appearance from the Headliners. Something very different which although not to our taste, at least they are trying hard to get a variety of acts on board.

We finished the evening with a Drambuie Nightcap back at the cabin. It wasn't warm enough to sit out as the night time temperature had dropped considerably.

Tomorrow we dock at 7 a.m. In Auckland.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Am really enjoying your reports Sue.
Thank you for posting and to DTM for his tendering operations.

Lindsey

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

My pleasure Lindsey and qb, glad you're enjoying them. Here's the latest :

Mon 13 February 2017 - Auckland

Grey skies greeted us as we opened the curtains but it wasn't cold and there were hints that the sun would burn off the cloud as we slowly made our way across the Hauraki Gulf towards the sparkling lights of Auckland and into the berth. The Hilton hotel was next to us and the balconies were full of their guests waving to welcome us. It was easy to make out the sky tower in the distance.

I followed my usual routine of exercise class then breakfast of Eggs Benedict, and breakfast and Spa session for Garry.

The weather still hadn't made up its mind when we left the ship hoping for the best, prepared for the worst. We had booked a Harbour cruise with Fullers before we came away which included a free Devonport return each plus a coffee and snack on the cruise. We got some great views of Auckland from the water and a very interesting commentary.

We called at a little island called Rangitoto which is the youngest volcanic island in the harbour at only 600 years old. We didn't have long there just time to see the lava rocks and some of the small traditional wooden houses before the ships horn sounded for us to re board to continue the harbour tour up to the graceful lines of the Harbour Bridge where the boat turned and took us back to the pier via the many yachting marinas which have given Auckland the nickname of the "City of Sails"

We didn't have long to wait for the ferry to Devonport which is a very busy route. Once there we looked for the horse and cart but it wasn't there. The owner was very old when we saw him 3 years ago so he has probably retired now. We wandered around the little historic town, where we found free wifi in the library and had a rest there before setting off again.

We found a supermarket and checked out the local Marlborough Sauv. Blanc and Rosé. Some good deals so we bought 4 different bottles to try as we had quite a hike to carry them back onto the ship. We then made an expensive mistake and stopped for a beer on the way back to the ferry. It was so good we had another. When the bill came it was 40 dollars for 4 small beers. OW MUCH!!! This is the usual war cry when Garry is presented with a bill.

On our return to Auckland we went to find the local shopping mall as I needed some glasses repairing. It was no longer there and instead a great gaping space. We did find a small convenience store to stock up on Coke and nibbles but too shattered to look any further for an opticians. We returned to the ship which was close by but it was like a rabbit warren to get back on board with the security cordons sending us round and about instead of directly onto the ship.

We only had time for a quick shower and change before it was time for dinner. We are overnight in Auckland and the waiters were so looking forward to their night out in the city. I bet there will be some sore heads tomorrow at breakfast.

The show in the theatre was a local indigenous Song & Dance Group called Toa Maori. We made the fatal mistake of going back to the cabin after dinner and decided the view from the balcony of the harbour was too good to miss. There was no wind and it was very pleasant sat there with a coffee and Drambuie.

We are overnight here and do not leave until 3 p.m tomorrow afternoon.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sounds a lovely, if hectic, day. I love overnight calls and seeing the crew going out to have some fun - even if they are a little "distracted" next day!
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Tues 14 February 2017 - Valentine's in Auckland

Exactly as forecast a rainy glum day in Auckland. Still warm but a low lying mist meant that views were very limited.

Hoping that it would clear I went to the early morning exercise classes, followed by breakfast but still the rain continued. It wasn't particularly heavy just persistent.

As we exited the port area there were stalls selling New Zealand souvenirs and we wandered round there to delay getting wet.

I had intended to make for the sky tower but realised it would be a complete waste of time and money as we wouldn't see anything. I found an opticians to get my glasses mended and then a bar with Wi Fi for a coffee.

Such a shame that our visit to Auckland has been spoilt by the weather, but so glad we did the harbour tour and Devonport yesterday.

When we returned to the cabin there was a plate chocolates and heart shapes with card from the chef Trevor Glass. Not sure if every cabin got them or just the full World cruisers.

We had lunch in the Main Dining Room as it was too wet on the balcony but by the time we returned it had dried up and the sun was making an attempt to break through. We opened one of the Kim Crawford rosé wines we had purchased yesterday and celebrated Valentine's Day over looking a misty Auckland harbour. I guess there are worse places to be.

Another muster drill at 3 pm for those who joined in Auckland and those of us staying on board longer than Brisbane, and the sailaway followed soon afterwards and the rain had stopped. I met a lady at the muster drill who had boarded in Auckland and had a few days there before embarking. Apparently the weather up to 2 days ago had been fabulous, she had been to the beaches and in the sea. Just our luck for it to change as we arrived.

It was a Formal night and the dress code was Red and White night. Luckily I had a red formal dress with me but as we had not been pre warned of this, as many ladies hadn't, it wasn't as well followed as the Black and White nights.

The restaurant had been decorated with Red balloons to mark Valentine's Day and all of the ladies were given a red rose by the restaurant managers as we left dinner, a very nice touch P & O.

There was dancing in the Globe with the fabulous Lauren (one of the entertainment team who told me that she reads my blogs) playing CDs.

Ray Locke was performing Magic of the Musicals, back to back musical hits from the well known musicals.

The formal ball Red and White Valentine Ball did not seem as busy as normal and that was probably because of the two busy port days.

Tomorrow we arrive in Napier but not until noon so a lazy morning at sea.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

So sorry the weather wasn't better for you, but you seem to have made the most of the day.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Wednesday 25 February - Napier

We awoke to promising skies although the sun hadn't quite risen the clouds looked sparse.

The sun rose as I was just starting my exercises and by the time I came back from breakfast it was fully on the balcony. The washing that Garry had done earlier was drying well and I settled down to a couple of hours in the sun as we were not due to dock in Napier until noon.

At 10:30 a.m. The ship slowed down considerably and almost stopped, we soon realised that this was to board the pilot and it was a very complicated manoeuvre into the dock allocated to us. The World was already docked but none of the berths were very picturesque as it is definitely a commercial port with tonnes and tonnes of logs waiting to be shipped out. The smell of the newly felled trees was pungent.

By noon the New Zealand authorities had given us permission to disembark and we left the cabin expecting very long queues. We went to deck 1 as everyone else in the lift with us got off at deck 2. We were pleasantly surprised that there were only 2 other couples waiting to disembark. We were on the first shuttle bus for the short journey into the town.

The colours and stunning architecture of the town screamed Art Deco even without the many Vintage cars and the people of Napier dressed in clothing of that era. It appeared that all of the town were out to welcome us in style. They were all so proud of their heritage and wanted to show it off. All the locals we met were so very friendly.

Napier was rebuilt in the 1930's after a severe earthquake reduced much of it to rubble and then the fire that followed caused further extensive damage.

We wandered the streets taking in the sights and browsing the shops and found ourselves in a park at the end of the town, where we rested for while, before setting off again back the way we came but on a parallel street. 4 locals dressed up started up a band on a street corner which attracted a lot of attention especially as there was 1/2 hour free Wi Fi there.

We found the New Zealand Wine store where the wine of the region Hawkes Bay was for sale. After another "Ow much" moment we left empty handed. We can buy the same wine at home for half the price that they were asking. The store was empty except for us and no wonder. They were asking 25 dollars just to taste 3 different wines.

Across the road was the County Hotel where Churchill stayed and they had named a bar after him. We sampled the local brew sat in the sun watching the vintage cars drive past. Having got used to paying 10 dollars for a small glass of beer the bill wasn't a shock this time.

We wandered back towards the shuttle bus with the obligatory stop at Starbucks for a coffee and free wifi.

We have been reminded over and over again that in New Zealand photo ID is required to be carried at all times and it has been checked regularly. On the shuttle bus back to the ship one couple had no ID with them. They were not allowed to continue the journey through the port area and were taken off the bus to wait in the naughty corner, and were then treated to a ride in a police car to the cruise ship.

I really didn't feel like getting ready for dinner but made the effort and told our cabin steward we would be back straight after dinner to have a cabin night. These port days are certainly exhausting and we have another one tomorrow. I felt my eyes closing whilst watching TV and by 10 pm. I was well in the land of nod.

Tomorrow we are in Wellington the capital of New Zealand.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

See if you can get some Villa Maria Chardonnay at a good price. It's about £10 in the UK when you can get it.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning Folks. Here's Sue Kershaw's latest update including news of Captain Cook's return to New Zealand, albeit on Arcadia this time rather than HMS Endeavour ! Enjoy :

Thursday 16 February 2017 - Wellington New Zealand

A fabulous sail in through stunning scenery into the commercial port of Wellington which is situated at the southwestern tip of North Island. The smell of newly cut wood greeted us again. Obviously a major export for New Zealand. The sun was shining and the temperature was 23 degrees perfect for sightseeing. We docked right by the Westpac Stadium, New Zealand's premier sporting and entertainment venue and which is where England and the British Lions play when on tour.

No exercise class for me this morning as I knew that would be getting plenty of exercise walking around today. We were off the ship for 9 a.m. and the shuttle bus into the city was waiting ready to go. It dropped us a 5 minute walk from the cable car which is where we were heading hoping to get there before the trips arrived. There was no queue and we only waited 2 minutes before the car arrived.

The views going up were stunning but once at the top, 1700 metres above sea level, they were spectacular. We visited the cable car museum which was still quiet as we had arrived before the coaches. Plenty to see and lots of tourism officials to point out the highlights. I particularly enjoyed the Victorian perfumery and the jewellery Arts studio. We decided not to return by the cable car but to walk down through the magnificent Botanical Gardens. It would have been easy to spend a full day there and still not see all of the different areas of the gardens. The final area was Lady Norwoods Rose Garden where the hundreds of roses were either in full bloom or just on the turn. We had a drink overlooking the magnificent gardens before making our way through the Bolton St cemetery and back into the city centre via the Parliament building known as the Beehive. Unfortunately we didn't get chance to visit the Te Papa - New Zealand's National Museum. It will be top of the list of things to do if we ever get this way again

We stopped for a quick lunch before continuing to browse the shops and made a few purchases. We finished in the local supermarket and as it was only a 5 minute walk to the shuttle bus we stocked up on cabin essentials. The wine here was around half the price of the wine emporium in Napier and very similar to what we pay home. We found a few bottles of Sauv Blanc to sample on the sunny afternoons at sea. We had taken a few Asda bags for life with us and looked like we had done a weeks worth of shopping getting back on the shuttle. I was waiting for someone to ask me where the local Asda was!!

We had been remarking at the last few ports of call how shabby and unloved Arcadia was looking on the outside. I thought that Captain Cook would be very unhappy to see Arcadia in such a sorry state.

Captain Cook boarded today to take over from Captain Lucca . when we returned to the ship the bow had been painted and Arcadia was was looking majestic and loved once again.

The sun was still on the balcony so we spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying a drink looking out to sea and the New Zealand coastline before we sailed away from New Zealand. Captain Cook made an announcement before sailaway introducing himself and giving a detailed explanation of our route and sea expectations.

During dinner Captain Cook walked around the dining room so that everyone could see him and will know him when they see him around the ship. I thought that was a lovely touch.

After dinner we went to East bar to watch the sail between North and South Islands. Whilst there we realised the sun set was going to be amazing so rushed back too the cabin to take photos. I don't think I have ever seen such a magnificent sunset.

Tomorrow is our 1 st of 2 sea days before we reach Sydney, Australia.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Your day sounds lovely. We are both big horticultural fans and so the botanical gardens would have interested us greatly.

Glad to read Arcadia has been spruced up; it's always sad seeing any ship looking rather neglected
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

GillD46 wrote: 18 Feb 2017, 11:11
Your day sounds lovely. We are both big horticultural fans and so the botanical gardens would have interested us greatly.

Glad to read Arcadia has been spruced up; it's always sad seeing any ship looking rather neglected
Indeed, it's usually our first port of call whenever possible too

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 17 February 2017 - 1 st sea Day to Sydney

The sea was apparently a bit choppy during the night but I didn't feel a thing. Slept through whatever was going on and woke up at the usual time of 5:30 even though the clock went back an hour so that we are now exactly 12 hours in front of the UK.

Back to the normal routine of exercise, breakfast and now the Spanish is class is back on again which took me to 11 am and the sun had finally broke through the clouds and it was hot and sunny on the balcony although on deck I could hear the wind blowing a gale.

The Macmillan charity events were held today. This morning was the Sports day, culminating in a Tug of War and in the afternoon the crew show. It clashed with my Spanish class, but Garry went and said it was an excellent show with many talented crew members many of who got a standing ovation. None of the entertainment team performed so no 'If I was not upon the sea" performance which is hilarious but very old hat now. Captain Cook got involved in the auction to raise money and three lots of passengers paid £200 each to blow the Captains whistle and have a look around the bridge. Hopefully we will find out the total of the money raised tomorrow.

Another visit to the East bar after dinner where they serve the best cocktails on the ship and another glorious sun set. Not quite as dramatic as last nights with the New Zealand coast line but still a fiery orange ball.

We finished the evening at the Black and White Ball with the Arcadia Orchestra.

Our last sea day tomorrow before we step foot on Australian soil and have a 1000 passenger turnaround.

Saturday 19 February 2017 - 2nd sea Day to Sydney

A very lazy sea day today although I did manage to drag myself to the exercise class then breakfast.

The clouds had disappeared but it was still very windy. A great drying day for the laundry. I sat on the balcony in the sun and did very little all day except read. It was supposed to be an alcohol free day but one of the bottles of Sauv Blanc chilling nicely in the fridge put paid to that idea. I didn't even make the afternoon Spanish class.

The Captain announced that £2217 had been raised raised for the McMillan charity yesterday. The rest of his announcement was not the best news but expected. The wind was going to get stronger and rain was forecast for our arrival in Sydney which would be very early in the morning.

The ship started rocking and rolling before dinner and when we returned to the cabin it was a force 9. The wind must have been hitting the side and the movement made it very uncomfortable. The tablets I took zonked me out and I slept through.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sun 19 February 2017 - Sydney Australia

Oh WOW, The view from our balcony was just amazing. Sydney Harbour Bridge to our left and the Majestic Sydney Opera House to our right. Even better because it wasn't raining as was forecast.

It had rained heavily during the night with an electric storm and forked lightening lighting up the skies. Apparently there were hailstones the size of golf balls but at least it had cleared the air and the sun was shining.

We changed our plans accordingly and went through immigration early at about 08:45. Very friendly officers as were all of the locals who had been brought in to give advice to the passengers.

We headed to a coffee house as the Sunday market at the Rocks was still setting up. Everything here that we looked at was made in Australia. None of the souvenir tat which is actually made in China. We made a few purchases then headed back to Circular Quay and the ferries.

The system has changed since last time we were here when we could buy a day pass for the ferries, now we had to purchase an opal card each with a minimum of 10 dollars on it. On a Sunday in Sydney you can travel all day on the ferries for 2 dollars 50. (James you will have 2 opal cards with 7 dollars 50 on each ready for your visit here next year that's your holiday present sorted. Lol)

We went on the ferry over Manley Beach where the surfers were enjoying the waves. I went into the sea for a swim and so wished I had learnt how to surf. The beach here is golden sand and miles of it. I could see Shelley Bay where I snorkelled from last time we came here. The sun was fully out and hot. No sign of the heavy rain that had been forecast.

We had lunch at the Ivanhoe hotel. My fixed fish platter was enormous and would easily have 2 people but I managed it on my own as Garry just wanted fish and chips. The beer here was a local summer brew and one just wasn't enough.

Feeling completely stuffed we headed back to the terminal and called in Aldi to check out the wines. We picked up a few bottles of Aussie plonk to try along with other cabin essentials and our long life Asda carriers were utilised once again.

The sun was on our balcony and I spent the rest of the afternoon with G & Ts overlooking the harbour and watching people climbing the harbour bridge.

Dinner was very quiet and I suspect a lot of people will be eating out tonight. We prefer to eat out at lunchtime in the sunshine. As we were leaving dinner the heavens opened and the promised rain arrived. We sat on the balcony under cover with a night cap. It was still warm enough and the harbour looked lovely all lit up.

The ship leaves its berth at 04:30 and will anchor close to the Opera House for tomorrow's stay in Sydney.

We have to be on the first tender out at 07:30 for our trip to the Blue Mountains.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sounds wonderful, Sue and like us you do what you want and then are not afraid to go back to the ship and enjoy being there too, maybe watching what's going in from the balcony.
Gill

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

The view of the opera house is imprinted on my brain from when we berthed there on Aurora. Unforgettable, siting on our balcony taking it all in and not quite believing we were actually there; it was also February14th.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 20 February 2017 - 2nd day in Sydney.

The ship moved from its berth during the early hours and was still in the process of anchoring when we were getting up. We had an early start this morning for our trip to the Blue Mountains and were loaded onto a large boat provided by the port to tender us ashore close to the Opera House.

The driver gave us a sightseeing tour of Sydney Centre pointing out the highlights as we passed them.

We had a stop on the way at Featherstone zoo. Although quite small there were lots of different species of animals and birds. The small kangaroos were wandering around amongst the visitors, lots of Koalas who were mainly asleep in the trees and birds flying around some in cages and some free to fly around the park. We saw a huge crocodile being fed with chicken legs. We only had just over an hour here and really wished it was longer.

Our next stop was a scenic look out called Echo point where we could see the three sisters and the blue haze given off by the Eucalyptus trees which is where the name Blue Mountains came from. Stunning views and a beautiful area.

We continued then up to Scenic World the area where we caught the sky train down a sheer drop. It was like being on a roller coaster but all downhill. Lots more stunning views on the way down. The boardwalk took us through the rain forrest and past the old mine and to the cable car ride back up to the top which was much more serene and plenty of time to take photos of the stunning scenery.

The trip brochure information was that we would then be taken to a local hotel for a 2 course meal. This turned out to be the cafe at the sky train and it was served on polystyrene plates and plastic glasses. There was no choice of food just steak or chicken snitchel with chips and salad. The food was delivered to the table and you got what you were given or swapped it with someone else. I had the steak which was just about edible although tough and the chicken snitchel was very dry. The 2nd course was a piece of carrot cake take it or leave it. There was a choice of a plastic Sherry glass of either red or white Wine or a bottle of beer.
Jugs of water, lemonade and Coke were put on the table. We didn't let this spoil the day but it wasn't what we booked or expected.

The coach journey back took 2 hours and once again we passed through some wonderful scenery. The coach driver dropped us at the pick up point and explained why he couldn't drop us nearer. A local councillor lived in some apartment and didn't like the noise from the coaches so made it a taxi only bay with cameras to stop the coaches dropping off.

The tender back to the ship was on the large port ferries and we were on the next to last one. We went straight to the cabin and I had a couple of G & T 's sat in the hot sun waiting for sailaway. The view was stunning of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and all the ferries and boats criss crossing the harbour.

It was the party sailaway on deck with the new entertainment manager Mark Guy. We enjoyed the music from our balcony.

Once we had started sailing we opened a chilled bottle of Sauv Blanc we had bought in Wellington and ordered room service dinner as we watched the sun set and said goodbye to Sydney.

Tomorrow is a sea day before we reach Brisbane

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Love your reports, Sue. Feel like I am there with you seeing all those amazing sights.

Maureen

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 21 Feb 2017, 09:49
Monday 20 February 2017 - 2nd day in Sydney.

The trip brochure information was that we would then be taken to a local hotel for a 2 course meal. This turned out to be the cafe at the sky train and it was served on polystyrene plates and plastic glasses. There was no choice of food just steak or chicken snitchel with chips and salad. The food was delivered to the table and you got what you were given or swapped it with someone else. I had the steak which was just about edible although tough and the chicken snitchel was very dry. The 2nd course was a piece of carrot cake take it or leave it. There was a choice of a plastic Sherry glass of either red or white Wine or a bottle of beer.

Jugs of water, lemonade and Coke were put on the table. We didn't let this spoil the day but it wasn't what we booked or expected.

Bet there were a few lives amongst your fellow passengers ruined because of that ! Cue plenty of moaning and claims for compo !! How long was the queue at the Explorers desk ?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Give my brother-in-law a wave as you pass the Gold Coast on your way to Brisbane!

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Maybe you did the Sky Tower and Bondi Beach on a previous visit but I am enjoying your account of places your are visiting and it relives memories of what we did some years ago. As it was Valentines Day when we were in Sydney we had a memorable meal in a restaurant in Darling Harbour.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

qbman1 wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 11:28
Give my brother-in-law a wave as you pass the Gold Coast on your way to Brisbane!
We have left Brisbane but I thought the Gold Coast was between Brisbane and Yorkys kn*b. If it is between Sydney and Brisbane then we have gone past it.

Sue

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

wolfie wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 23:09
Maybe you did the Sky Tower and Bondi Beach on a previous visit but I am enjoying your account of places your are visiting and it relives memories of what we did some years ago. As it was Valentines Day when we were in Sydney we had a memorable meal in a restaurant in Darling Harbour.
We haven't been up the sky tower but saw Bondi Beach and Manly last time we were here. I prefer Manly to Bondi but would go either anytime.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Suekersh wrote: 23 Feb 2017, 07:41
qbman1 wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 11:28
We have left Brisbane but I thought the Gold Coast was between Brisbane and Yorkys kn*b. If it is between Sydney and Brisbane then we have gone past it.

Sue
Yes. it's south of Brisbane - hope it wasn't as hot for your visit as it has been recently. They have had it up to 40 !

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Tues 21 February 2017 - sea Day to Brisbane

We woke to light cloud and warm temperatures. The Ovation of the Seas which had nicked our prime spot yesterday in Sydney was following us and will probably be docking in Brisbane with us.

I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder and it has been uncomfortable for a few days. Today it was agony so I booked a massage at the Spa. Another "Ow much" moment but at least I was feeling more comfortable. The massage was relaxing but spoilt somewhat by the up sell after it was finished. I know they have to do it but the prices they charge for these lotions and potions is astronomical. A bottle of wine and pain killers eases the pain at a fraction of the cost.

Two new guest speakers had joined the ship. Dr Ingred Visser discussing the Black Fish Effect which was about keeping Orca in captivity and the afternoon Speaker John Hylton Davies speaking about The Origins of Law Justice. I didn't see either of them but would like to catch up with the Black Fish Effect when it is shown on the cabin TV.

There was a BBQ on deck and a perfect day for it but we opted for a light lunch on the balcony as we had booked in Sindhu for dinner.

I went to the Spanish class and Iris is now talking about conjugating verbs. Nightmares of school days French are about to come back and haunt me, although she still manages to make it entertaining, something our prissy language teachers at school never seemed to manage.

Dinner in Sindhu was fabulous again and it was lovely to see Malone our diet waiter from the previous sector as Maitre D and running Sindhu very efficiently. By the time the meal was finished, despite copious amounts of wine my painkillers had worn off and I needed my bed.

Tomorrow we are in Brisbane and I am so looking forward to meeting a friend who emigrated there a few years ago.

Wednesday 22 February - Brisbane

A very long sail into this commercial port. Certainly not the prettiest port we have called at. The smell of newly cut pine greeted us but the port is known for the Grain. The grain flies around in the wind and forms a light carpet along the dockside.

We left the ship early and got the shuttle into the centre. It was a 3/4 hour drive in and for those on saver fares a bargain at £5 per person as a taxi would have cost much more.

We had done a lot of research and knew we were heading for the South Bank. We headed towards the Botanical Gardens and the river walk. It was just so wonderful only a 10 minute walk outside the city to find beautiful gardens and the river front. We caught the city hopper here which is a free service along the river. We got seats on the top deck and had fabulous views.

We got off at South Bank and nothing had prepared me for this part of the river Bank. It was such a spectacular area. There were lots of different water features, children's play areas, a man made beach with lifeguards around the pool, which led into a larger swimming pool. Then the rainforest walk which brought us out at the Brisbane wheel. The birds which I think were egrets were walking around looking for scraps of food and what looked like an iguana just sat and posed for photos. I found out that it was actually an Eastern Water Dragon who is the Ambassador of the Brisbane Wheel and lives along the banks of the river but can often be seen at the base of the wheel.

We went on the Brisbane Wheel which was well worth the 20 dollars each we paid. I had arranged to meet my friend here who I have not seen since she emigrated to Australia 5 years ago. It was an emotional reunion at the restaurant/bar and we chatted like we had never been apart. We had lunch there and the afternoon just passed by so quickly.
It was even more emotional when we parted to go our separate ways. Ours to walk across the bridge towards the shuttle stop and hers to the train station for her train back to the Gold Coast.

We stopped off at Woolworths to get some cabin supplies and even managed to find Schweppes tonic. I was down to my last 12 cans and not sure where I will find them next.

I had a fabulous day. I am so fickle, I left my heart in Sydney and two days later fell in love with Brisbane.

Vernon Lewis was the entertainment in the theatre with songs from The Four tops along with other Soul and Motown hits.

There was a change to the usual Tropical Party in the form of an Australian Beach Party and although quite windy the temperatures were good for a deck Party.

We now have two sea days before we arrive at Yorky's kn*b.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”