Riviera travel

Anything to do with river cruising

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Riviera travel

Post by kaymar »

We are considering a five day cruise from Amsterdam in April 2018 on one of the new Riviera Cruise ships, taking in the Keukenhof Gardens.

Has anyone any views on either Riviera or the bulb fields?

Moby, I remember your experience last year, I'm hoping you were just unlucky!

Kentish Lass
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Riviera travel

Post by Kentish Lass »

We have done two river cruises with Riveria, on the Rhone and Danube. We enjoyed them both, organisation by Riveria was excellent. Food and cabins were very good. Shore excursions were very well organised and you were under no obligation to join them, could certainly do each stop on you own if that is what you prefer. They felt more "sedate" then sea cruises, much slower pace when actually cruising.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We have been to Keukenhof Gardens and they were stunningly beautiful! We went on a coach holiday that went to Amsterdam, bulb fiellds and by the coast also to a site that was showing different ways of life in the past and present ie clog & cheese making. Also quite a few windmills! The cheeses were particularly good we bought some to take home. It was a few years ago, don't suppose anything's changed greatly.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Happydays wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 11:39
We have been to Keukenhof Gardens and they were stunningly beautiful! We went on a coach holiday that went to Amsterdam, bulb fields and by the coast also to a site that was showing different ways of life in the past and present ie clog & cheese making. Also quite a few windmills! The cheeses were particularly good we bought some to take home. It was a few years ago, don't suppose anything's changed greatly.
I reckon it might - they plant over 7 million new bulbs every year !

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Still be lovely that's what I meant :oops:

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Kentish Lass wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 11:21
We have done two river cruises with Riveria, on the Rhone and Danube. We enjoyed them both, organisation by Riveria was excellent. Food and cabins were very good. Shore excursions were very well organised and you were under no obligation to join them, could certainly do each stop on you own if that is what you prefer. They felt more "sedate" then sea cruises, much slower pace when actually cruising.
Welcome to the forum, Kentish Lass, especially as your first post was so positive and helpful - thankyou. :thumbup:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

kaymar wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 15:32
Kentish Lass wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 11:21
Welcome to the forum, Kentish Lass, especially as your first post was so positive and helpful - thankyou. :thumbup:
Welcome from me too.

Reports like that will start getting us a good name ;) :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

....and from me. Cheery and positive is good

....but how are we going to claim our lives are ruined and get compo if we praise everything ?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There were deffo aspects of our Dutch Waterways river cruise, ' Kaymar', that were a tad disappointing ... the bulb fields were an absolute delight however and the Riviera Cruise Line is a whole lot better than Saga ... no worries, go ahead and book it.

:wave:

Should anybody wish to read / re-read my Dutch Waterways' report ....
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:31, edited 3 times in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 14:26
There were deffo aspects of our Dutch Waterways river cruise, ' Kaymar', that were a tad disappointing ... the bulb fields were an absolute delight however and the Riviera Cruise Line is a whole lot better than Saga ... no worries, go ahead and book it.

Thanks, mob, we will almost certainly do that. We have not yet tried river cruising, although I have been trying to persuade 'er indoors for a few years (she wasn't sure we were old enough :lol: !) and this could be a good, short introduction with a purpose, especially with your Riviera commendation

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

kaymar wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 09:28

Thanks, mob, we will almost certainly do that. We have not yet tried river cruising, although I have been trying to persuade 'er indoors for a few years (she wasn't sure we were old enough :lol: !) and this could be a good, short introduction with a purpose, especially with your Riviera commendation
Another recommendation

Tell 'er indoors that the folk who take to river cruising are, generally speaking, a whole lot younger in mind and spirit than wot we tend to find on ye olde P&O ... bar the bulb fields of course.

:lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've done one river cruise and enjoyed it. It wasn't Riviera but we've had their brochure and their product looks good. We'd certainly consider them for our next river venture

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Look forward to hearing how you get on as we are thinking about going up t'river next year !

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 12:35

Another recommendation

Tell 'er indoors that the folk who take to river cruising are, generally speaking, a whole lot younger in mind and spirit than wot we tend to find on ye olde P&O ... bar the bulb fields of course.

:lol:
It's the incontinence pads on the seats that worries me !!

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Thanks for your advice, reassurances and encouragement. We have booked a cabin on the top deck of Riviera's "Emily Bronte", flying from Liverpool to board in Amsterdam in April next year.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Top Deck is cool .... and much less noisy that the cabins on the waterline :thumbup: .

We hope you enjoy the experience as much as we do :wave:

Return to “River Cruising”