Aurora R717 Oct 17 to the Adriatic

Aurora cruises in 2017

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Aurora R717 Oct 17 to the Adriatic

Post by Whynd1 »

E Tickets issued this morning for the upcoming cruise.
Just over 5 weeks to go.

Nice start to the bank holiday and its a lovely sunny morning here.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Aurora R717 Oct 17 to the Adriatic

Post by Kenmo1 »

We should get ours next week for the Oriana, October 11th cruise and perhaps then I will be able to get into cruise mode. I usually enjoy the build up to the cruise with all the clothes planning etc but I haven't been able to think about it yet as we have been reorganising two bedrooms ready for new beds to be delivered on Wednesday plus sorting out old clothes from the wardrobes etc so that we can move things around. That has also ground to a halt as hubby managed to get a last minute cancellation on Thursday for his 2nd cataract operation so he can't do heavy lifting at present

The other frustrating thing was that the operation was at Southampton where all the good shops are (we have hardly anything on the Island) and Debenhams had a sale on and I would have loved to have gone shopping but I was a little martyr and resisted the urge to 'dump' him at the hospital and go on a shopping spree. :angel: :angel:

How early do you start planning the clothes you are going to take, Lindsey ?

Maureen

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Ah Maureen, anyone who knows me, knows what an organizer I am.
I leave behind family at home and then there's mum in a nursing home and dad in supported living accommodation and he also needs food shopping.
So it's lists and more lists.
About now I have a look at how many sea days how many ashore and how many formal nights. In our previous house I had a special bedroom nicknamed the cruise room where everything was kept together. Since we downsized to a townhouse I don't have the use of a spare room just the study, so type up lists on the computer to make sure nothing is forgotten.
I do like to buy a few new things each cruise and there's very little choice in Swansea so unisex the internet.
In fact the web site just last season which someone recommended to me has been very good, and only yesterday I received a dress ordered last weekend in their £19 offer, it was a Jacques Vert originally £159. It fits a treat.
It's interesting on each cruise how things are different, we found on the Adonia that the formal nights were very dressy with lots of long frocks about.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Lindsey, you have got a lot to think about before you go on your cruise. You will need a rest by then.

Wonderful bargain - a Jacques Vert dress for £19. I have ordered a couple of things via the internet before but I enjoy a shopping spree. Ken cannot understand the concept of feeling the material to see if I like it before even trying a dress on so I still prefer to go to the shops.

I have stopped buying long dresses as there didn't seem to be so many being worn on our more recent cruises but interesting to note that they are still popular on Adonia.

Enjoy your cruise. We are going to Cagliari on a cruise in April so will be interested to see what you think of it.

Maureen

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just returned from this cruise and it was excellent. Weather was sunny and warm right up until Gibraltar.
Will do a short report later as have walked back into a crisis with my elderly father.

Lindsey

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just a short report on this cruise.

Check in was very busy even priority check in, but was on board quickly and the luggage soon arrived.
An inside cabin on C deck quite far forward but very well kept by a my cabin steward Miles.
Weather from day one was warm and sunny all the way.
Food was the best on a cruise that I have for a long time.
Ate at the beach house twice and sat outside both times, it was a very warm evening in Cadiz and we sat outside until gone 10pm.
went to Sindhu nut it was a great success, too any covers being served led to poor service and overcooked food. We were not offered coffee so sent in a review comment card and was very pleased when this was followed up with a bottle of wine to be sent to our dining table.
An excellent table for 8 on first sitting right at the back of the restaurant by the large window. Good service throughout and good company.

Captain Neil Turnbull made lots of very witty announcements and kept everyone up to date with hat was happening. He made some good quips at the loyalty drinks party.

Ports of Call
Cadiz
Messina
Venice
Zadar
Dubrovnik
Cagliari
Gibraltar

Sadly I was not well enough to travel to Seville as planned so had to forego my excursion that day but my friend went and said how lovely it was but hot temps were on average 35 to 40. One thing though on he excursion Seville on your own the guide gave no information just a map which was very poor, passengers had to ask where to go and at hat time to meet up and where. Very poor.
Messina we did Taomorina on your own, which was brilliant we walked all the way up to the amphitheatre and paid our 10 euro entrance fee. Throughly enjoyed it and climbed all the way to the top. The views in the town centre of the bay were amazing. Could have done with an extra hour on the excursion to have had a nice lunch.
Venice and up at 6am for the sail in, well it was dark and then it did get a little lighter the fog rolled in and we didn't see much, so abandoned that and went for a proper breakfast inn the restaurant. It was still misty when we got off and it was chilly stood waiting for the water taxi. However by about 11.00am the sun had come out and we had a superb day in Venice. we treated ourselves to drinks and a club sandwich at Café Florian,which was not quite as expensive as some thought but still cost 60 euro but you paid 6 euro each for the orchestra. It was very enjoyable and an experience I doubt I will repeat.
Zadar New port of call for us and just took the shuttle bus in, this was a bit chaotic and they were not all organised. Zadar is a lovely pretty place to wander and we walked all the way to hear the sea organ and then round the harbour. One thing that we noticed the locals were very stylishly dressed.
Dubrovnik. we were warned that it would be busy an it was. I should have listened to my inner voice and booked an excursion as it was just so busy it was effort to get through the crowds. Gave it up and went back to the ship and had lunch in the glasshouse.
Cagliari
Booked a wine tasting excursion, which was very nice. However far too much sightseeing first, personally I would have had a shorter excursion just to the winery. When this was mentioned at the shore excursion desk they got very defensive, they don't take adverse comments well at all.

Gibratar It was a very dark morning here with lots of cloud, so got off and got our shopping and then back to the ship.
We did have some rain on our way back and a bit of a lumpy sea but the bay of Biscay gave us two good crossings.

A thoroughly enjoyable cruise with lots of good company.
Have booked to be on the Aurora again next October and am looking forward to it.

Lindsey

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Glad you enjoyed it, Lindsey - thanks for the report

Love Neil Turnbull - glad he's fit again and back in action with P&O. Bet you got everywhere with the "speed of a thousand gazelles" !

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Yes, especially Ticknell.

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2017”