OMG not another tipping question?

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

OMG not another tipping question?

Post by Citylady »

Just when you thought there could be no more questions about tipping .........
I've got my very first cruise booked and we're off on the Azura on November 1st :D :D . I was reading the thread about the "little things" that people take with them and pound coins appeared on the list for tipping the room service waiters. Is this something that most people do, bearing in mind the auto-tipping? Are there any other occasions when a tip might be expected - I don't want to do the "wrong" thing or appear to be a cheapskate ;) .

What advice do you seasoned travellers have for this newbie?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: OMG not another tipping question?

Post by Manoverboard »

We are likely to have wine every evening but we know that the price of the wine includes a surcharge to cover the tip for the Wine Waiter ... however if he, she, delivers and serves our wine to our satisfaction throughout the entire cruise then we will pop a fiver into an envelope for him / her at the end of our cruise.

We only use room service sparingly, for breakfasts we give nothing but for a lunch then a two pound coin is usually handed to the steward who delivers it.

Some will give more and others less but you should do what you want to do :)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I agree with Moby on the issue of the wine steward/ess. They can be your best friend when a bottle of your favourite bottle runs low.

When you order wine most evenings, if you have not so in advance, then they are always quick to attend to your order, as opposed to the occassonal, glass of wine purchaser.

We often tip our wine waiter/ess.

IF, the same waiter, not the wine waiter of course, brings our breakfast each morning then we tip, but it's usually a different one each day, as opposed to years ago when IT WAS the same person every day.

We don't have lunch via room service so the situation of tippping has not arisen.

We do give the person, be it cabin steward or whoever, a tip, who brings our daily slice and ice.

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

We give a couple of quid to room service on the odd occasion we have breakfast delivered.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I too would agree with MOB. If you use room service then I believe it is traditional to slip them £1-2. Generally though I would say all other tips are included wihtin the auto tipping .. but if you feel you received exceptional service you can put a little extra for individuals into an envelope.

One other place for tipping though is on shore excursions. In the Caribbean a few US dollars or in Europe a few Euros may be suitable .. there is no fixed rule of thumb here though ... generally for a half day tour I would give about $5 or for a full day tour $10 (per couple) ... however that is purely up to the individual.

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Thanks so much for the info everyone. It's really good to be prepared for this kind of thing - we don't want to be all at sea when we're all at sea :D

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We always opt for the auto-tipping method, and then just write a little note of thanks with a little extra tip and do that on the last night of the cruise.

However, we have friends who will tip over generously for absolutely any excuse, and now and again it gets a bit embarassing.

Em :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... and I have a Brother-In-Law who wouldn't give them the drips off the end of his nose :thumbdown:

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

Manoverboard wrote:
.... and I have a Brother-In-Law who wouldn't give them the drips off the end of his nose :thumbdown:
Oh yes we all know those...I know someone who says they never tip & were quite proud to tell us the trick is to avoid the MDR last night.

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

We always give £2 for the two of us when we have room service (which is normally Breakfast if we have to be off early for a Shore Excursion). It is not always your own Steward who delivers and it is up and above their normal duties.

Have a great time.

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

Jean W wrote:
We always give £2 for the two of us when we have room service (which is normally Breakfast if we have to be off early for a Shore Excursion). It is not always your own Steward who delivers and it is up and above their normal duties.

Have a great time.
Now that is a good point, never thought about the room service was for two! We gave £2 coins though so we are OK!

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

I just want to say how delightful the cat of Citylady is and how glamorous Jean's dog is. :D Now what was the subect of the post???? :lol:
Jay

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Oh thank you so much, Jay-ell71. I'm now bursting with pride that my little Betty's got such a nice compliment :D :D

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Why does that sound like a euphemism ?
:-)

Joesmum
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Joesmum »

Firstly, congratulations on a brilliant site. Dabbled briefly on the P & O forum before it gave up the ghost and found the info really useful for the novice cruiser. Off on Ventura on Friday - hooray! Only my second cruise and first with P & O. This may be a daft question but do you tip in sterling on board or are US dollars acceptable to staff? ( these are tips in addition to auto- tipping).

Also, there was a thread about weddings on the P & O site which was really useful. I'm 'tying the knot' next Monday on board and you don't get a lot of info from the Wedding Dept , apart from a brochure and an invoice when it's time to pay. Maybe you could think about starting one here?
:thumbup:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding, I think you must be the first "bride" of the new forum :clap:

The wedding thread on the P&O forum was excellent, it was started by Xmas Lisa and I'm not sure if anyone has managed to contact her or if she knows where we are, maybe you could start one when you get back and it could build from there.

Re tips, the crew probably prefer sterling although when we have been in the Caribbean we have given $US and they have been readily accepted, have also given Euro's, I'm sure they won't have a problem spending whatever currency they are given.

Have a wonderful cruise and a wonderful wedding.
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Joesmum wrote:
... do you tip in sterling on board or are US dollars acceptable to staff ?
Normally £££ but in the Caribbean / North America US$$$ would also be aok.

ps .. Congrats to you both :)

Joesmum
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Joesmum »

Thanks both for your replies and good wishes.

Be happy to share our wedding experiences on our return. Well some of them at least! ;) Here's hoping it'll be the stress free experience we anticipate.. We've both done it before, didn't want a fuss and haven't told our family/friends our plans. Hopefully they'll still be speaking to us when we break the news - after the event! My Dad should be happy at least because it hasn't cost him anything this time around. :D

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

From what I remember reading on the wedding thread, the wedding planner will meet with you almost immediately so I'm sure any questions you have will all be answered and sorted quickly, I don't remember hearing/reading of anyone who didn't have a perfect and stress free day so just enjoy :thumbup:
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Spot on DQ ... the stress and agro starts on Day 2 :lol: :lol:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

And we all know who's responsible for the stress Moby :lol: :lol:
Jo

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding, Joesmum. I'm sure it will all go brilliantly and you will have a marvellous day - once you're on board everything will be organised for you and you'll have nothing to worry about. Do let us know how it all went :D

And I agree with you, this site is brilliant. A huge thanks goes out to the bright sparks who put it together. It all works so much better than the original P&O Forum - just a shame that not many folk seem to know about it ...... yet!

Return to “New to Cruising”