Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Aurora Adult only

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 08:26
Dancing Queen wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:23
Onelife wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 14:38
Not saying I wouldn't try an Adults only cruise but I much prefer seeing children skipping around the decks than a load of old crocks stumbling around the place, besides, from my observation children/teenagers are generally well behaved so I cant see why Adults only cruises are really necessary.
Couldn't agree more :lol:
'Ang on DQ and Onelife, that could be me!! :lol:
Don't you worry yourself foxy.....me and DQ would never walk by any old crock without giving him/you a helping hand :sarcasm: :lol:

:wave:
Last edited by Onelife on 23 Feb 2018, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 09:26
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 22:35
Adult only cruises aren't necessary. In fact cruises aren't necessary full stop. But it's a choice some people make. So it isn't unreasonable for a cruise line to meet that demand.

Hi Sir Merv,

Having choice is something that cruise lines like to promote but in reality 'Choice' for families is becoming increasingly limited. I think it is a misconception that all families want to be herded into these Goliath floating theme parks and would if they had the choice choose a more traditional cruise on something that resembles a cruise ship?

Choice is about having two or more possibilities and whilst this may apply to Adulties who can choose any ship they wish to sail on the same dose not apply for families.

Regards

Keith :wave:
Well said Keefy - my son rang last night to say how disappointed he was to read about Aurora going adult only - he said it is probably his favourite ship :thumbup:
Janis

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... and a ' Tut - Tut ' no doubt, poor ol devil can't help it :roll:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 10:13
Are you talking in riddles Moby - who are you referring to as the "poor ol devil" - not Foxy surely :crazy:
Janis

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Jan Rosser wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 10:17
Manoverboard wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 10:13
Are you talking in riddles Moby - who are you referring to as the "poor ol devil" - not Foxy surely :crazy:
No riddles ... yep tis indeed poor ol Foxy, he's hanging on by a thread don't you know and will be 93 next month.

:wave: ;)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 09:33
oldbluefox wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 08:26
Dancing Queen wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:23
Onelife wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 14:38
Not saying I wouldn't try an Adults only cruise but I much prefer seeing children skipping around the decks than a load of old crocks stumbling around the place, besides, from my observation children/teenagers are generally well behaved so I cant see why Adults only cruises are really necessary.
Couldn't agree more :lol:
'Ang on DQ and Onelife, that could be me!! :lol:
Don't you worry yourself foxy.....me and DQ would never walk by any old crock without giving him/you a helping hand :sarcasm: :lol:

:wave:

.....with a cattle prod

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 09:26
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 22:35
Adult only cruises aren't necessary. In fact cruises aren't necessary full stop. But it's a choice some people make. So it isn't unreasonable for a cruise line to meet that demand.

Hi Sir Merv,

Having choice is something that cruise lines like to promote but in reality 'Choice' for families is becoming increasingly limited. I think it is a misconception that all families want to be herded into these Goliath floating theme parks and would if they had the choice choose a more traditional cruise on something that resembles a cruise ship?

Choice is about having two or more possibilities and whilst this may apply to Adulties who can choose any ship they wish to sail on the same dose not apply for families.

Regards

Keith :wave:
You can't please all the people all the time! I'm not saying I'm in favour of Aurora becoming adult only, merely reflecting that the market exists and that's what drives companies. And this is not just about P&O. As I've said before "other cruise lines are available" so families have the choice of an awful lot of ships. Those who wish to avoid other people's children have much less choice.

What I do think is wrong is doing this, or anything, after bookings have been taken in good faith. They did the same with Adonia. With any change they should announce it before they take bookings so no-one has to change their plans.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 23 Feb 2018, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.

trinityboy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by trinityboy »

Dancing Queen wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 09:28
Unfortunately it would appear the rumours are true.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... adult-only

We no longer cruise with P&O but I never said never, this has now decided me I won't be cruising with them again as the only ship I would have sailed on would be Aurora, I dislike adult only ships so that's me finished !!
All the more places for true cruiers. Goodbye

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Can't mean me, surely. I'll have you know I've got dead flies on the front of my zimmer!!!
Last edited by oldbluefox on 23 Feb 2018, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

trinityboy wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 14:56

We no longer cruise with P&O but I never said never, this has now decided me I won't be cruising with them again as the only ship I would have sailed on would be Aurora, I dislike adult only ships so that's me finished !!
Hi trinityboy,

I'm sure we would all be interested to know what propels someone to the dizzy heights of 'true cruiser' status?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Whynd1 wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 08:32
It is being reported that P and O are emailing out that Aurora will be made adult only from March 2019.
So which of the fleet will be sold off, Oriana ?

I am on Aurora this coming October and don't expect many children to be on board for a 17 night cruise to Greece.

Some affected will no doubt moan about this.

Lindsey
The email says Aurora will be joining Oriana and Arcadia as adult only ships, so possibly none are being prepared for sell off just yet.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

towny44 wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 23:25
So which of the fleet will be sold off, Oriana ?
Hope it isn't Oriana because we put a deposit on a cruise to the Arctic Circle for July 2019 while we were on Oriana last week. Luckily, we only had to pay £50 each as we booked on board but I double, double checked with the loyalty manager that we wouldn't have to pay any more if we had to cancel for any reason. (Thanks barney - you gave me the idea when you mentioned it in your recent thread).

Maureen

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

colin parry wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:56
I have a couple of cruises on Oriana booked for this year in April and October. I have been monitoring Southampton VTS for berthing details and up to a few days ago there was nothing relating to Oriana after July. They have now put in details up to September, still nothing for the latter part of the year. Makes you think!
I noticed this the other day as well. We're booked on Oriana's Christmas Cruise. Not that it any/much of a difference, we always like to know ages in advance which terminal we're sailing from.

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

I'm sure the bean counters have been heavily involved in this decision.

PandO probably exist to:

a. make money for PandO's owner(s);
b. generate a decent(ish) return for shareholders (including me and probably several others on this site);
c. provide a holiday experience at a price and a cost that achieves a and b, with customers choosing to return.

So, it must be that there is a demand for adult only ships, and that for PandO, adult only ships tick each of the above boxes.

The cruises that we have booked/are interested in over the next 12 months, are on adult only ships. However, our prime reasons for choosing those cruises relate to itineries. We were a bit hesitant regarding Oriana's Christmas cruise, as there was a possibility that friends of ours with a young child may have been interested in spending Christmas on a cruise (they had a great time on Oceana last year). But at the time that we booked, the price of Ventura was more expensive than Oriana (and less nights!). But it was only a outside possibility, and we prefer the size of Oriana, so it became a no brainer for us. Oddly enough, since booking, the price of that cruise has increased by almost £1,000 pp!

Our past Oriana cruises have only been since she became adult only. We've always liked Aurora so the changeover to adult only probably won't make much of a difference unless we travel with friends bringing children/grand children.

That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of Aurora lovers who will be disappointed by this announcement as this will leave Oceana as the smallest of the family fleet.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

trinityboy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by trinityboy »

Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 18:22

Hi trinityboy,

I'm sure we would all be interested to know what propels someone to the dizzy heights of 'true cruiser' status?
True cruisers are those that understand that a ship is a moving piece of machinery that is also subject to changeable weather and operating conditions and do not just sit there moaning about little things like hard poached eggs. Some people should get a life!!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

trinityboy wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:37

Hi trinityboy,

True cruisers are those that understand that a ship is a moving piece of machinery that is also subject to changeable weather and operating conditions and do not just sit there moaning about little things like hard poached eggs. Some people should get a life!!
Are you having a bad day ?

Regards Moby ( Mod ) :wave:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Are you suggesting I'm not a 'true cruiser' trinityboy' ?? I could probably leave you 'standing' :roll:

No need to wish me 'goodbye' I'm not going anywhere other than a change of cruise line :wave:
Jo

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Always welcome here DQ X

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

trinityboy wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:37

Hi trinityboy,

Last edited by Onelife on 26 Feb 2018, 09:10, edited 3 times in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi trinityboy...l liked the way you combined machinery, changeable weather conditions and hardboiled eggs together... having said that, l thought your explanation was a bit 'scrambled' if you don't mind me saying.

Have a good day

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Onelife wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:10
Hi trinityboy...l liked the way you combined machinery, changeable weather conditions and hardboiled eggs together... having said that, l thought your explanation was a bit 'scrambled' if you don't mind me saying.

Have a good day
:thumbup:
Janis

trinityboy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by trinityboy »

Dancing Queen wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:42

Are you suggesting I'm not a 'true cruiser' trinityboy' ?? I could probably leave you 'standing' :roll:

No need to wish me 'goodbye' I'm not going anywhere other than a change of cruise line :wave:
You are welcome to other cruise lines. But why then are you on a PandO website?
As for leaving me standing. I don’t know. I am approaching my 40th cruise now, all with P and O and have anothe 3 booked. Add to that 30yrs at sea including 5 years as Master then I guess I would leave you standing :yawn:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

For the record " This is NOT a P&O Website " as suggested above by ' Trinityboy '.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It's not a P&O website trinityboy.
Does it really matter how many cruises anybody has done but if being a true cruiser excludes anybody who has an opinion or a preference then that means I'm out. I don't think it will bother me that much. In fact it won't be bothering me at all.

Return to “About Aurora”