Aurora Adult only

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

trinityboy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Aurora Adult only

Post by trinityboy »

I’m just fed up of a load of moaning people, especially those moaning about p and o who obviously do not cruise with them or maybe have done a few cruises. Agree, my mistake it is not a p and o website but it is very seldom you see any comments about other cruise lines

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

trinityboy wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 11:32
I’m just fed up of a load of moaning people, especially those moaning about p and o who obviously do not cruise with them or maybe have done a few cruises. Agree, my mistake it is not a p and o website but it is very seldom you see any comments about other cruise lines
Here's your chance then, away you go. We're always after a new topic :thumbup:

trinityboy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by trinityboy »

Sorry, can’t comment as only cruised with PandO. After many years at sea I know what to look for especially the quality of the crew and officers

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Must admit trinityboy, I'm a P&O fan. I have only cruised with one other cruise line, and although it was good I still prefer good old P&O. You know what you're getting. That just the Britishness in me I guess.
Last edited by Stephen on 26 Feb 2018, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

trinityboy wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 11:58
Sorry, can’t comment as only cruised with PandO. After many years at sea I know what to look for especially the quality of the crew and officers
Oh dear, we seem to be back to the P&O passenger syndrome of comparing how many cruises we have done.

Just a thought, but if you have never cruised with any other line than how do you know that P&O is the best? Having said that, if you're happy with what you get then good luck to you. Personally I got fed up with ports being cancelled at the last minute, fewer ports of call and less time ashore.

'Always keep a-hold of nurse for fear of finding something worse'

As for Aurora, we have had many lovely holidays on her and three of those included taking our daughter and her family. The children absolutely loved it and it's sad to see that going. The ship itself is not what it was since the major refit with the removal of the library and the arrival of Costa Coffee but what did it for me was the removal of the wooden steamer chairs on the Proomenade Deck.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 12:37
Oh dear, we seem to be back to the P&O passenger syndrome of comparing how many cruises we have done.

Just a thought, but if you have never cruised with any other line than how do you know that P&O is the best? Having said that, if you're happy with what you get then good luck to you. Personally I got fed up with ports being cancelled at the last minute, fewer ports of call and less time ashore.

As for Aurora, we have had many lovely holidays on her and three of those included taking our daughter and her family. The children absolutely loved it and it's sad to see that going. The ship itself is not what it was since the major refit with the removal of the library and the arrival of Costa Coffee but what did it for me was the removal of the wooden steamer chairs on the Proomenade Deck.
You have cracked it QB, now I know exactly why I like P&O Fewer ports and more time at sea. That does it for me. Perfect cruising.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Perhaps we should start speculating on what they will use the space for where the children's facilities are, and what money making schemes they will devise.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

daib GC wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 13:09
Quizzical Bob wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 12:37

You have cracked it QB, now I know exactly why I like P&O Fewer ports and more time at sea. That does it for me. Perfect cruising.
I quite like the sea days too but I also like to relax on the promenade deck whilst we're at it.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 13:20
Perhaps we should start speculating on what they will use the space for where the children's facilities are, and what money making schemes they will devise.
Personally I'd like a proper library and somewhere to do the jigsaws. Not enough money in it I suppose.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 14:13
but what did it for me was the removal of the wooden steamer chairs on the Promenade Deck.
I quite like the sea days too but I also like to relax on the promenade deck whilst we're at it.
[/quote]

Ah yes, kinda miss the rows of those who were asleep, mouth wide open, the false teeth rattling up and down, they were the days. :lol:
Don't worry, be happy

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

There's a strong P & O slant on this board, as most people were members of the old P & O forum on the P & O website.

However, many forum members have also cruised with other lines. I've cruised with CMV and have written about my experiences on the forum. In a couple of weeks I'll be on Fred Olsen's Balmoral and I intend to do a review afterwards.

I've been aware of many current forum members since I joined the original P & O forum back in 2003, so there is a wealth of cruise experience here, even though people generally don't go in for 'willy waving' about it.

Welcome to the forum Trinityboy. Maybe you haven't had the best of starts, but stick around, as this forum needs new blood.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Gill W wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 15:07
There's a strong P & O slant on this board, as most people were members of the old P & O forum on the P & O website.

However, many forum members have also cruised with other lines. I've cruised with CMV and have written about my experiences on the forum. In a couple of weeks I'll be on Fred Olsen's Balmoral and I intend to do a review afterwards.

I've been aware of many current forum members since I joined the original P & O forum back in 2003, so there is a wealth of cruise experience here, even though people generally don't go in for 'willy waving' about it.

Welcome to the forum Trinityboy. Maybe you haven't had the best of starts, but stick around, as this forum needs new blood.

Depends how many drinks I've had Gill :D

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Gill, I went on Balmoral in January this year. If you're a reader, may I suggest that you take your own books, Kindle, or similar. Without exaggeration, I've got more books at home than in their much-reduced 'library'.

Have a good time.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 09:33
oldbluefox wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 08:26
Dancing Queen wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:23
Onelife wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 14:38
Not saying I wouldn't try an Adults only cruise but I much prefer seeing children skipping around the decks than a load of old crocks stumbling around the place, besides, from my observation children/teenagers are generally well behaved so I cant see why Adults only cruises are really necessary.
Couldn't agree more :lol:
'Ang on DQ and Onelife, that could be me!! :lol:
Don't you worry yourself foxy.....me and DQ would never walk by any old crock without giving him/you a helping hand :sarcasm: :lol:
Indeed Keefy we'd help any of the 'old crocks' :lolno: like you I rather enjoy seeing the children skipping around the decks and lets face it school holidays account for about 10 weeks of the year which leaves 42 weeks for those who want to avoid the 'little darlings' .. we very rarely choose to go away during the main school holiday as we assume July/August is likely to be nice weather here .. I'm sure there are many like us so why the need for adult only ships ?? we have several friends who take their grandchildren away and the likes of Aurora/Oriana have always served them well .. not everyone wants theme parks and climbing walls.
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 26 Feb 2018, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I'm not overly fussed either way. Well behaved kids with attentive and responsible parents beat selfish and rude 'old crocks' any day.
Anybody know what happened to the words 'thank you'. We always stand back to allow wheelchairs, slow moving zimmer frames and mobility scooters through a tight squeeze only for them to breeze past without a glance or 'Paddy will you lick!!' Times I have vowed not to do it any more than I get a smile and a thank you and it seems worth it once again. The rest get a sarcastic 'You're welcome!'

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 20:07
Anybody know what happened to the words 'thank you'.
Going off topic a bit.

On Saturday I was in the local shop getting a paper (and lottery ticket) and as I was leaving this young lad (about seven) was struggling to open the door as he had his hands full of cartons of milk so I held the door open for him. When we were out of the shop he turned round and said "thank you" (in a very quiet voice!) - there is hope after all.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 20:07
I'm not overly fussed either way. Well behaved kids with attentive and responsible parents beat selfish and rude 'old crocks' any day.
Anybody know what happened to the words 'thank you'. We always stand back to allow wheelchairs, slow moving zimmer frames and mobility scooters through a tight squeeze only for them to breeze past without a glance or 'Paddy will you lick!!' Times I have vowed not to do it any more than I get a smile and a thank you and it seems worth it once again. The rest get a sarcastic 'You're welcome!'
Agree Foxy.

I've said before, it's often the elderly with the worst manners. Like you, I'm not bothered either way about children on board. But when they are all dressed up like mum and dad on formal nights it's a pleasure to see.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Like most, we've never had an issue with children on board but to be fair, we have mainly sailed on the child free ships.

A friend of mine and very experienced cruiser had one holiday totally ruined by a family with young triplets in the main dining room on early sitting. The family were at the next table to them and he said that they ruined nearly every meal for other diners due to unruly behaviour. He said that the parents were totally oblivious to other guests feelings and he even asked to be moved tables but they were full and couldn't.
Out of 30 + cruises, that was no doubt his worst.
Since then, he's always gone Freedom dining.

I'm quite chuffed that Aurora is going child free as it's our favourite.
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I've seen some b***y awful kids behaviour in the dining room but it's a case of parents with a 'laissez-faire' attitude who simply ignored what they were doing. We also had a cruise with RCI on which there were groups of feral kids (11-14 age bracket?) running amok around the ship, and the little one putting his fingers in the prune dish at buffet breakfast or picking up cakes with her fingers and putting them back. Yuk!!! (A practice also perpetrated by some of our older contemporaries).
However, having been consigned to cruising during school holidays these were isolated incidents by comparison to veterans who think it's acceptable to lay walking sticks on a table to reserve it, the same walking stick they use to call a lift. Heaven knows where the end of the stick has been. For all their faults they should know better but very often their manners and the way they treat the staff leave much to be desired.
Thankfully, as with the kids, they are in a minority and soon find themselves in my little black book so the next time our paths cross I remember them!!!

I think Aurora is a lovely ship but kiddy free or not won't make a lot of difference to me.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

anniec wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 16:19

Gill, I went on Balmoral in January this year. If you're a reader, may I suggest that you take your own books, Kindle, or similar. Without exaggeration, I've got more books at home than in their much-reduced 'library'.

Have a good time.
Thanks for the tip, Annie. Fortunately, I'll be taking my Kindle. I've been saving a few books especially for the cruise.
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

It's a pleasure, Gill. I never take books or Kindle, as there's always been something in the libraries on board every ship, often with the advantage that the offerings forced me slightly out of my comfort zone. No idea what the fiction was like, although the shelves looked extremely threadbare, but the non-fiction on offer was utterly dire.

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

:lolno: :lolno: Without wanting to exacerbate the situation, can I make the point that "Adult Only" cruises tend to exclude the parents of children, too. This means that there are almost no 25-45 y.o adults on board and as a consequence the predominant age seems to be 65+. As we are in our mid-70s, it still seems that the cruise experience seems to be for "Pensioners Only", not just "Adults Only". My recollections of our last Oriana cruise was that the ship was almost dead after 11.00pm. On one occasion the only person in the disco was a rather disconsolate DJ (no pun intended), as the usual crowd, the theatre company dancers, were elsewhere. I prefer a more varied age span on the passenger manifest, but I do like Aurora; we did our first P&O cruise on her around the Baltic in 2002. That was in the days when you couldn't see across Andersons for smoke!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Our experience has often, though of course not always, been different. Not all young adults are parents and not all of them want to holiday surrounded by other people's children. Depends on duration and destination I think. As well the ship. I certainly think Oriana attracts an older clientele these days.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 06 May 2018, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Our first cruise on Aurora next year will be an adults only one, so going to be difficult for us to know if it feels different in any way. It's unlikely to be anymore child free than our recent Ventura 5 week Caribbean & USA cruise was, we only had about 3 children on board and all were officers families. I wonder if officers children can still sail on Adult only ships?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

bassman67 wrote: 06 May 2018, 09:57
:lolno: :lolno: Without wanting to exacerbate the situation, can I make the point that "Adult Only" cruises tend to exclude the parents of children, too. This means that there are almost no 25-45 y.o adults on board and as a consequence the predominant age seems to be 65+. As we are in our mid-70s, it still seems that the cruise experience seems to be for "Pensioners Only", not just "Adults Only". My recollections of our last Oriana cruise was that the ship was almost dead after 11.00pm. On one occasion the only person in the disco was a rather disconsolate DJ (no pun intended), as the usual crowd, the theatre company dancers, were elsewhere. I prefer a more varied age span on the passenger manifest, but I do like Aurora; we did our first P&O cruise on her around the Baltic in 2002. That was in the days when you couldn't see across Andersons for smoke!

Hi Bassman,

A point well made about the age demographics due to the exclusion of children.

Regards

Keith

Return to “About Aurora”