Cruising at Christmas

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Cruising at Christmas

Post by sunseeker16 »

I would like to hear of the experience of CC-ers who have cruised with children on a child-friendly ship.

We are at the early stages of considering the Oceana 10 day-er to Casablanca and Cadiz, as Nana and Grappa with daughter and s-i-l plus three and a half year old.

I can imagine it would be huge fun; I can also imagine it will mean a very 'lazy' time for at least the female part of the contingent, without the shopping and cooking frenzy, not to mention house-guests and the joy and extra work they bring.

Does the fun descend to chaos? Is it possible to find quiet spots if it all gets a bit much? Any other tips and hints (or warnings)?

Thanks in advance for anything you can add

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruising at Christmas

Post by Dancing Queen »

I haven't cruised with children but I have cruised on a child friendly ship at Xmas many times ( Aurora and Oriana ) and the children love it, plenty for them to do, all the normal activities + Xmas related things ( carol singing, pantomime, nativity play etc which they all get involved in .... or so I'm told ) and of course there will be a visit from Santa.

It must have something in it's favour as we have cruised for the last 23 Xmas's ( bar one which we had to cancel at the last minute ) I would say go for it, you won't know until you have tried it, just one point we did the Med last Xmas ( we normally do the Caribbean ) and whilst the weather was pleasant it wasn't hot mid to high 50's.

Can fully recommend no cooking, cleaning or entertaining over the festive period :D :clap: :clap:

If you decide to book don't forget to take some Xmas decs to decorate your cabin.
Jo

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We have cruised the last few Christmas's on both adult only and Family friendly ships. Had a great time with no cooking or cleaning. The best for us was the family ship in the Caribbean. The children have a fantastic time and we loved watching them dress up and look out for Father Christmas arriving at the funnel.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Couldn't agree more - we have done the last five (both child free and with children) and it does away with all the hassle at home. In fact, it suits us so well, I can't imagine having Christmas at home any more.

We do favour the adult only ships in the summer but by far the best atmosphere at Christmas has been on the family ships. The adult only ones tend to be a bit dull by comparison.

frintonite
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by frintonite »

we cruised on Artemis in 2010 at Christmas and New Year ( child free ) one of our best cruises, highly recommended
AKA Ray & Sue

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

I agree with all of the above, but, it will not be warm, (are you going to the Canaries?? if so it warms up a bit there.). However, Arcadia has a covered pool so that is useable what ever the temperature outside. :)
Freedom from shopping and cooking is obviously the best part, but you do have to get the presents and cards organised early of course. Go for it and have a lovely time. Jay
Jay

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

ooops :o
Oceana not Arcadia. Sorry that does not have a covered pool does it? Jay
Jay

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

No, no covered pool

It is going as far as Casablanca and Cadiz, so hopefully a glimmer of sun?

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We actually had nice sunny weather in Cadiz, we found it warm enough to sit outside a bar for a couple of hours and it certainly wasn't cold, I would imagine Casablanca would be quite warm too, I do think though that we were exceptionally lucky with the weather we had, other than Rome and Barcelona which were exceptionally cold I don't remember anywhere else being so.
Jo

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Cassablanca was quite nice, (2010) but unfortunately we did not get into Cadiz as it was too foggy and although we waited some hours to get into,the port, in the end we had to sail away. Will you be going to Madeira? The fireworks are wonderful on NY eve. Jay
Jay

frintonite
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by frintonite »

I think everybody should see the fireworks at least once in their lifetime
AKA Ray & Sue

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Quite right ..... R & S

BTW the best tour in Casablanca is to Rabat.
Jay

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

jay-ell71 wrote:
Quite right ..... R & S

BTW the best tour in Casablanca is to Rabat.
Ray, we have done so many Xmas cruises and yet have never been in Madeira for NY Eve :(

That's interesting to know Jay, have never been to Casablanca but I'm looking at a cruise and that is one of the ports so I might be back for some info if I book it.
Jo

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Agree wholeheartedly about Madeira - absolutely brilliant.

We visited Casablanca in 2001. On arrival we were warned to be careful of the Logs on the quayside!!! Being a little naive, we thought - logs, what damage can they cause? They were tree trunks :o The quayside was full of them.

That evening at Dinner - David Pembridge (who was Staff Captain at the time) told us about the view they had from the Bridge that morning of amazed dock workers looking up to see the Big White Ship, as if they weren't expecting anything or anyone!

We did a P&O excursion which took us to the Hassan Mosque. An absolutely fantastic piece of architecture. A lovely memory of that excursion - there were many steps down in the Mosque at one point and there was an elderly gentleman passenger who was taking things steady. Two fellow men passengers just looked at each other, they went to either side of the gentleman and hooked under his armpits and carried him down. It was wonderful and the old gentleman thought it brilliant. There are some nice people around :D

frintonite
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by frintonite »

A short video of our Christmas Cruise, plus the fireworks

enjoy !!!

hope the link works :silent:
AKA Ray & Sue

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”