Getaway Fares / 4 Berth Cabins

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
B52-2002
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Getaway Fares / 4 Berth Cabins

Post by B52-2002 »

Hi, I was only an occasional poster over on the P&O site, but I must say it looks like a fantastic job you are all doing here.

I have noticed on another site that it would appear customers are unable to book 3/4 berth cabins on getaway fares. Thought I would give people on here a " heads up " as I have read several comments stating that people seem to waiting for the Getaway fares. If you a require more than 2 in a cabin you will have to pay the original Vantage fare. There is the option of booking 2 separate cabins, but as you cannot choose their location on a getaway, there is every chance you could get them far apart. Fine for me as I could banish hubby (and his snoring) off with my son to a separate cabin, but not good for those with small children.

This does seem a little unfair to those with children and a very strange marketing ploy. However I guess there must be some form of logic in it somewhere !

Anyone else out there with any thoughts on this policy ?

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Getaway Fares / 4 Berth Cabins

Post by Onelife »

HI B52

Welcome.

I’m not so sure it’s a marketing ploy as such; it’s probably got more to do with availability of family cabins at certain times of the year (school holidays etc) Most parent aren’t willing to take the risk of missing out on a family cabin/cruise so generally book early to avoid disappointment.

Regards

OL

Topic author
B52-2002
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by B52-2002 »

Hi Onelife,

I agree that 4 berth cabins are usually booked up during school holidays so there would be no need to discount those. But surely they are restricting the choice of the customer outside of these times. The couple of cruises I have been on in term time have had a reasonably high percentage of family's with pre school age children. They are not restricted by school times and tend to pick the cheaper " off peak " times. These are the type of family's who perhaps book last minute and will not benefit at all from any form of discounting. If other cruise lines discount all types of fares / cabins then surely they would choose those over P&O ?

Think I am trying to say that P&O are not being very competitive in the family cruising market. With a large new ship just around the corner I would of thought they would have tried to reel the families in, over the next couple of years.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Have to agree strange marketing and this not only affects families we singles can't book getaway deals either. My son and his wife (both teachers) booked a family cabin for July this year as soon as the brochure came out as they do get pretty scarce however they did benefit from extra OBC as the vantage fares were reduced so they are pretty happy. I booked a single cabin and also got extra OBC. Funny thing is that I have just booked a cruise on Azura for April and it is cheaper to have an obstructed view cabin than a single cabin - doesn't make sense does it.
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi B52

I hear what you are saying and if it is the case that other cruise lines can discount on all types of cabins (family cabins included) then one would like to think P&O would do the same, but I rather suspect it’s a case of supply and demand...if P&O can fill the “limited family cabins” available then there is no reason for them to offer discounts... irrespective what time of the year you book.

I do however agree with you about competiveness and this will become more apparent with the launch of their new ship in 2015 as there’ll be too many cabins and not enough passengers to fill them.

Can’t wait :)

Regards

OL

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We booked a getaway deal for last September with 2 friends. We booked 2 restricted view cabins and we were both allocated 4 berth cabins close together. We didn't want the 4 berth cabin as the layout is not as good as the 2 berth. Our friends decided to stick with it but we phoned to try to change ours. We were lucky and had a very helpful person on the other end of the phone and she changed it for us. There were plenty of 2 berth cabins left so really couldn't understand why the 4 berth had been allocated to couples.

Sue

DianaM
Cadet
Cadet

Post by DianaM »

It's not just about the number of 4 berth cabins left, but also the number of children in each age grade is controlled to ensure the children's clubs can cope. A while back a cruise my daughter in law was looking at (well in advance), could accommodate her 4 year old but not her 2 year old.

Another reason why families need to book very early!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”