Arcadia - Strange Design

Discussions about anything related to Arcadia

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Arcadia - Strange Design

Post by allatc »

Just come off a two night cruise on Arcadia.

Can't make my mind up whether I like the ship or not.

2 nights is not really long enough to form a judgement.

Quite liked : the theatre, Meridien restaurant, cabin.

Not sure about : glass lifts in the ship sides, fact you don't seem top be able to get from one end of the ship to the other on deck C (A and B ?)
buffet layout.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arcadia - Strange Design

Post by david63 »

Having spent something like 60 nights on Arcadia I think that I have become used to some of her quirks in layout - but having said that, most ships have some quirks.

For many the layout of Arcadia is a "Marmite" moment and there are those who do not like her, but may who do and certainly two nights is no long enough to get the "feel" of any ship.
allatc wrote: 19 May 2019, 20:32
glass lifts in the ship sides
Personally I quite like them - especially when the sea is a bit on the "choppy" side!
you don't seem top be able to get from one end of the ship to the other on deck C
The same thing applies on most ships in that there is at least one deck where you cannot get from one end to the other without going up/down.
buffet layout
I would say better than Azura/Ventura

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

The first time we went on Arcadia we didn't like her. Maybe it was the more contemporary feel but we have come to really like her, probably because we have got used to her and find she has everything we like in a ship. Although small the cinema is great with some of the best seating in the fleet. I couldn't understand why there was no dedicated cinema/lecture room on the bigger ships Azura and Ventura (can't comment on Britannia as I haven't been on her).
Arcadia and Aurora are now top of my list.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Just come off a two night cruise on Arcadia.

Can't make my mind up whether I like the ship or not.

2 nights is not really long enough to form a judgement.

Quite liked : the theatre, Meridien restaurant, cabin.

Not sure about : glass lifts in the ship sides, fact you don't seem top be able to get from one end of the ship to the other on deck C (A and B ?)
buffet layout.
Kitchens. Can’t have restaurants without them bit of an inconvenience really.

Aurora, Oriana, Azura, Ventura and Britannia are the Sam along with most of the Princess fleet.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

daib GC wrote: 19 May 2019, 23:06
Kitchens. Can’t have restaurants without them bit of an inconvenience really.

Aurora, Oriana, Azura, Ventura and Britannia are the Sam along with most of the Princess fleet.
Kitchens???

Galleys dear boy, galleys!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I like Arcadia allatc.

Understated elegance I call it.

I will say that like most ships, it does have an unfathomable layout in places.

Luckily, when on holiday, I'm rarely in a rush.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We have only sailed on Arcadia once when we were both able bodied, but I do remember it took almost half the 14 days to get to grips with the dead end areas and the nondescript atrium, however having just sailed on Aurora she also has lots of dead end walkways as well.
Unfortunately I understand that most accessible cabins on Arcadia are much smaller than those on the bigger ships and even Aurora, so it's unlikely we will be trying her out again in the future.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I have a fond recollection of embarking Arcadia and watching a VERY cross gentleman, going round in circles around the reception area, and ranting about 'who designed this bl**dy nightmare' with his poor wife in tow.

Mrs. B and I just chuckled :lol:

I manage to get well and truly lost on every ship I've been on.

This was the same cruise where, when chatting at the muster with a chap, he told me he'd ' had it up to here already ' (we hadn't left Southampton) because he'd been upgraded from Outside to Balcony (free) and his luggage had gone to his original cabin.

When I suggested that it might be quicker if he just went down and got it himself, he said very loudly that 'it wasn't his bl**dy job'

As they say north of Watford -- nowt as queer as folk
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 20 May 2019, 17:06
I do remember it took almost half the 14 days to get to grips with the dead end areas and the nondescript atrium, however having just sailed on Aurora she also has lots of dead end walkways as well.
I think if anything Aurora is worse in that respect.
towny44 wrote: 20 May 2019, 17:06
Unfortunately I understand that most accessible cabins on Arcadia are much smaller than those on the bigger ships and even Aurora,
One thing that I noticed on Aurora that I have not noticed on other ships is that the accessible cabins had the door key access on the wall at an accessible height.
barney wrote: 21 May 2019, 10:13
his luggage had gone to his original cabin
Did you not suggest that if he had put the correct luggage labels on then they would have gone to the correct cabin?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 21 May 2019, 10:13
I have a fond recollection of embarking Arcadia and watching a VERY cross gentleman, going round in circles around the reception area, and ranting about 'who designed this bl**dy nightmare' with his poor wife in tow.

Mrs. B and I just chuckled :lol:

I manage to get well and truly lost on every ship I've been on.

This was the same cruise where, when chatting at the muster with a chap, he told me he'd ' had it up to here already ' (we hadn't left Southampton) because he'd been upgraded from Outside to Balcony (free) and his luggage had gone to his original cabin.

When I suggested that it might be quicker if he just went down and got it himself, he said very loudly that 'it wasn't his bl**dy job'

As they say north of Watford -- nowt as queer as folk
:lol:

I still always manage to get the wrong corridor to our cabin when either exiting the lift or stairs :D

Going back to Arcadia, that is one ship we haven't sailed on. We did do a ship visit on her two or three years ago and she didn't impress at all with her interior beige look among other things. Perhaps another visit might be in order since her refit.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 21 May 2019, 10:32
We did do a ship visit on her two or three years ago and she didn't impress at all with her interior beige look among other things. Perhaps another visit might be in order since her refit.
Still beige!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We like Arcadia. I wasn't too impressed when she was new but when compared now to the later monstrosities she has a lot of good features. A proper wrap-araound promenade deck with wooden lounger chairs (last time we were there). There is some considerable vibration in the after corners of the restaurant which they tend not to use nowadays. It would get so bad that the cutlery would dance across the table and on to the floor.

The Azipod system of propulsion is quite effective too and makes docking manouevres a doddle.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 21 May 2019, 12:55
with wooden lounger chairs (last time we were there)
Not any more - the "standard issue" aluminium and fabric that you see on all the ships these days.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I have to say that contrary to many, Arcadia would be our favourite and first choice, were we to choose a P&O cruise.
Gill

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

She needs a good dollop of paint on some of the exterior and and even bigger dollop of varnish on the deck rails (after a good sanding down)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

allatc wrote: 21 May 2019, 16:35
She needs a good dollop of paint on some of the exterior and and even bigger dollop of varnish on the deck rails (after a good sanding down)
Don't talk to me about varnishing the handrails. We were on Arcadia's Christmas/New Year cruise a few years ago and it was immediately prior to the Worldie. We could not move, even on the balcony, for them varnishing, and when they were doing the deck above you could not go on the balcony.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote: 21 May 2019, 15:32
Quizzical Bob wrote: 21 May 2019, 12:55
with wooden lounger chairs (last time we were there)
Not any more - the "standard issue" aluminium and fabric that you see on all the ships these days.
That's very disappointing to hear. Yet one more reason why we don't use P&O these days.

Has anybody ever found out the reason why they replaced them all?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 22 May 2019, 13:01
Has anybody ever found out the reason why they replaced them all?
I would hazard a guess that they were not only getting past their sell by date but that they were becoming difficult and/or expensive to maintain with continual re-varnishing.

There is another option that "elf and safety" said that they were too heavy/dangerous for the crew to handle.

Return to “About Arcadia”