Chat about anything here

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Football 2019/20

Post by barney » 27 Jun 2019, 14:32

Right !
I've been down to William Hill and had my customary £10 bet on The Gills for promotion.

Unfortunately the odds for relegation are narrower than the odds for promotion, but hey, that's to my advantage.
What do bookies know :lol:

Gills are back today for pre-season. It only seems like five minutes ago that last season ended in mid table mediocrity.

We have made a few (what look like) half decent signings and a loan of a youngster from Bournemouth for the season.
I won't get too excited because the last one we had from there came on as sub, did three step overs. tripped over his own feet, went down injured and we never saw him again.
We can but hope.
We still have some decent size clubs in this division like Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth.

With Steve Evans now in charge, it's gonna be a hold onto your hat season.
He starts the season with a four match ban !!!

So, the big questions.
Can Huddersfield bounce straight back?
How many managers will Watford have ?
Can the Foxes hang on to their really good youngsters?
Will Frank Lampard make Xmas at Chelski?
Will Arsenal continue to use building a new ground as an excuse for abject failure?
Will Ole Gunner be a gonna ?

How about a forecast on how your team will do this season (be prepared for ridicule) :thumbup:

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Football 2019/20

Post by gfwgfw » 27 Jun 2019, 14:40

The Cherry's look ripe for picking
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 27 Jun 2019, 14:44

Huddersfield will struggle to make the play offs, but I desperately hope they are not in a relegation battle.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 27 Jun 2019, 15:46

The paint is drying nicely.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 27 Jun 2019, 15:56

It absolutely astonishes me how anybody can not love football. :crazy:

I've loved football since I started playing as an eight year old in Australia.
I played up to semi pro and didn't stop until in my forties in a veterans league in Sarf Lundun.

Age and injuries caught up with me culminating in a knee replacement in my fifties.

I still watch as much as I can get away with and will be cheering on the Lionesses tonight.

My biggest regret is not ever being good enough to play for the Mighty Gills :lol:

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 27 Jun 2019, 16:00

Think Utd will struggle to hold on to 6th,hope not but hey ho, it's only a game, just so long as the Scousers win nowt.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 27 Jun 2019, 16:03

You, as in Barney, sniggered somewhat impolitely when I suggested that Watford would finish the 2018/19 season in the Top 10.

We were 11th :P but we could possibly climb a little higher this coming season if we were to perhaps swap Towny's Mooy with our very own but fairly useless Isaac Success. We also need to add a couple of hardened Continental defenders.

One's Manager, albeit recently linked with the Chelsea job, is on a four year contract and is going nowhere.

ps … I cannot stomach Women's footy, they're rubbish but maybe if they took their shirts off to celebrate a goal … then maybe

:wave:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 27 Jun 2019, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 27 Jun 2019, 16:06

barney wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 15:56
It absolutely astonishes me how anybody can not love football. :crazy:

I've loved football since I started playing as an eight year old in Australia.
I played up to semi pro and didn't stop until in my forties in a veterans league in Sarf Lundun.

Age and injuries caught up with me culminating in a knee replacement in my fifties.

I still watch as much as I can get away with and will be cheering on the Lionesses tonight.

My biggest regret is not ever being good enough to play for the Mighty Gills :lol:

Never interested me, although I might watch England in the world cup but that's it.

Over paid bunch of pre-madonnas. The way they carry on these days when they score your more likely to get a love bite than a good firm hand shake.
Last edited by Stephen on 27 Jun 2019, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Jonty S1
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Jonty S1 » 27 Jun 2019, 17:36

Cannot abide football. Main reason, the appalling behaviour of players towards officials.
Role models, you must be joking.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 27 Jun 2019, 17:49

Manoverboard wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 16:03
You, as in Barney, sniggered somewhat impolitely when I suggested that Watford would finish the 2018/19 season in the Top 10.

We were 11th :P but we could possibly climb a little higher this coming season if we were to perhaps swap Towny's Mooy with our very own but fairly useless Isaac Success. We also need to add a couple of hardened Continental defenders.

One's Manager, albeit recently linked with the Chelsea job, is on a four year contract and is going nowhere.

ps … I cannot stomach Women's footy, they're rubbish but maybe if they took their shirts off to celebrate a goal … then maybe

Funny old game innit.

I looked upon mid table as a bit of a failure whereas you saw it as a positive. :thumbup:

Even in League one, the budget disparity is every bit as large as it is in the Premier league.
Maybe I should lay off our guys a bit. :sarcasm:

And as for those who don't like football.....

You is weird you is :wave:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 28 Jun 2019, 09:46

barney wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 17:49
I looked upon mid table as a bit of a failure whereas you saw it as a positive. :thumbup:
Very much so, expecting lil ol Watford to take points from teams like Man City is an impossible dream but there is plenty of motivation to be ' The Best of the Rest ' from time to time.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 04 Jul 2019, 09:34

**** BREAKING NEWS *****

The Gills announce their new striker to the unsuspecting fans

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spo ... 10-207844/

Gill W has handed back her season ticket ;)

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 04 Jul 2019, 11:08

:lol: is he a right or a left winger do you think :lol:

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 04 Jul 2019, 11:46

barney wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 09:34
**** BREAKING NEWS *****

The Gills announce their new striker to the unsuspecting fans

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spo ... 10-207844/

Gill W has handed back her season ticket ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 04 Jul 2019, 14:14

Manoverboard wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 11:08
:lol: is he a right or a left winger do you think :lol:
Did you watch the clip where he rugby tackled the German player Moby ?

Hilarious.

A proper laugh out loud moment

Ray Wilkins having a word with him, and him asking 'what did I do ?'

He will certainly be an Impact Sub.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 06 Jul 2019, 18:25

Well the women's world cup is nearly finished and, after the first major televised competition when VAR has been used, I have to say it has reinforced my initial reservations that it would in no way add to the enjoyment of watching the game; and that's not just sour grapes because it has had a negative impact on the home nations.
Despite the fact that technically the decisions were correct, they were in no way Crystal clear, and a final decision either way would have been a reasonable outcome. In which case how did it improve the game, I doubt that these incidents will reduce as a result of VAR, in fact there are very likely to be more as the system becomes established, so games will be delayed and finishing times ever more staggered, and VAR will replace the referee as the butt of a lot of post match critical comment.
It's introduction into the premier league for the upcoming season has made our relegation a little less disappointing, which is about the best I have to say about VAR.
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 06 Jul 2019, 18:52

Having lost a number of games as a result of poor / incorrect decisions last season this Hornet supporter welcomes VAR with open arms. :clap:

It can hardly spoil the game for both sides …. just the side where the decision was reversed I would suggest.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 06 Jul 2019, 20:26

Manoverboard wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 18:52
Having lost a number of games as a result of poor / incorrect decisions last season this Hornet supporter welcomes VAR with open arms. :clap:

It can hardly spoil the game for both sides …. just the side where the decision was reversed I would suggest.
Just you wait until VAR starts to wipe out all your goals for being a millimetre offside.
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 07 Jul 2019, 08:22

towny44 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 20:26
Manoverboard wrote:

Just you wait until VAR starts to wipe out all your goals for being a millimetre offside.
Actually I won't mind at all, if it's not a goal then there is no way it should be given. We, and many other lesser teams, will lose a few but gain a lot more on the basis that decisions have regularly been given that favour the top six.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 07 Jul 2019, 09:56

Manoverboard wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 08:22
towny44 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Actually I won't mind at all, if it's not a goal then there is no way it should be given. We, and many other lesser teams, will lose a few but gain a lot more on the basis that decisions have regularly been given that favour the top six.
.................and what makes you think that the VAR panel are going to be any different in their views on which decisions to review and which to let stand?
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 07 Jul 2019, 12:07

towny44 wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 09:56
Manoverboard wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 08:22
towny44 wrote:

.................and what makes you think that the VAR panel are going to be any different in their views on which decisions to review and which to let stand?
It was once accepted that incorrect decisions by the officials would balance themselves out but that is no longer the case.

The pundits will be crawling all over the VAR decisions which will hopefully result in the more obvious faux pas being corrected at the very least. The linesman's task is probably the most difficult and they are prone to making errors because of the way players block their line of vision to gain advantage. Time will tell and we can discuss it in the light of experience at the end of the coming season.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 07 Jul 2019, 13:41

Personally I think VAR should be used in much the same way as challenges are used in tennis. You are allowed to make three 'challenges' with VAR. After that you accept what the ref decides. It would limit the number of times the game is halted, give teams the chance to query dodgy decisions and deter the divers and cheats within the game.
Judging by some of the dodgy decisions made by some referees, as long as it's not overused, I welcome it.

Mrs Shiney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mrs Shiney » 07 Jul 2019, 22:18

SS , as he would say "hated football with a passion". I did watch some of England's games in the world cup last year, and parts of some of the women's matches this year. I even went as far has finding out the basic rules. My eldest is a great fan, so thought I may as well see what it's all about.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 07 Jul 2019, 22:34

Mrs Shiney wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:18
SS , as he would say "hated football with a passion". I did watch some of England's games in the world cup last year, and parts of some of the women's matches this year. I even went as far has finding out the basic rules. My eldest is a great fan, so thought I may as well see what it's all about.
When you find out can you let the rest of us know!!!! :lol:

Meanwhile the Foxes have signed a young lad from Luton, Ayoze Perez from Newcastle (cos he keeps scoring against us so he won't be doing that again) and we are on the verge of signing Tieleman from Monaco who did well with us on loan last season. We seem to be building a good, young squad. We might lose Maguire to Manu but if we can get 80-90k from them that's good business and we have a couple of Eastern Europeans to take his place. Maguire wasn't that good last season but don't tell Solskjaer. :silent: :angel:

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 07 Jul 2019, 22:38

oldbluefox wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:34
Mrs Shiney wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:18
When you find out can you let the rest of us know!!!! :lol:

Meanwhile the Foxes have signed a young lad from Luton, Ayoze Perez from Newcastle (cos he keeps scoring against us so he won't be doing that again) and we are on the verge of signing Tieleman from Monaco who did well with us on loan last season. We seem to be building a good, young squad. We might lose Maguire to Manu but if we can get 80-90k from them that's good business and we have a couple of Eastern Europeans to take his place. Maguire wasn't that good last season but don't tell Solskjaer. :silent: :angel:
If that's all you want we might be interested in buying him, could he manage on our meagre wages?
Last edited by towny44 on 07 Jul 2019, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
John

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 08 Jul 2019, 06:51

Oops!!! :lol:

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 09 Jul 2019, 14:48

Well, the friendly fixtures are underway are our first match was against mighty Faversham Town of the Bostik League South East Division.

Obviously playing a team of that magnitude, the pressure was on Gills new signings to perform and after a nervous and jittery start, we settled down and played some decent stuff, culminating in a 9 - 1 victory.
Tougher matches are to come , but on this showing, not only are we going up .... WE ARE GOING UP AS CHAMPIONS ! :sarcasm:

Watch out you Premier League giants.

Gills are coming atchya . :lol:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 09 Jul 2019, 16:11

barney wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 14:48
Well, the friendly fixtures are underway are our first match was against mighty Faversham Town of the Bostik League South East Division.

Obviously playing a team of that magnitude, the pressure was on Gills new signings to perform and after a nervous and jittery start, we settled down and played some decent stuff, culminating in a 9 - 1 victory.
Tougher matches are to come , but on this showing, not only are we going up .... WE ARE GOING UP AS CHAMPIONS ! :sarcasm:

Watch out you Premier League giants.

Gills are coming atchya . :lol:
You could have come unstuck there ;)

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 12 Jul 2019, 15:00

Help me out with my dream Team guys and gals.

Any top tips from you Prem big boys about players at your club that go a bit under the radar.

I'm taking a punt on Tiellemans from Leicester as he's reasonably cheap.

Any others I should know about ? (cheap)

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 12 Jul 2019, 16:39

A punt on Watford's emerging Venezuelan frontman ' Adalberto Penaranda ' may well pay off …. :wave:

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 12 Jul 2019, 19:11

Will he play Moby.
It's all about points

He's not on the current list of players
Last edited by barney on 12 Jul 2019, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 13 Jul 2019, 12:12

He is a listed Hornet as No 17 …. would you prefer ' Gerard Deulofeu ' ?

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 13 Jul 2019, 16:18

I would but too expensive. :wtf:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Jul 2019, 08:59

Is Andre Gray cheap enough …. he hasn't been firing on all cylinders for a while so this could be his year ?

…. and that's it really.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 14 Jul 2019, 11:40

Ndidi any good to you barney? Doesn't score much but seems to have a good tackling ratio. How about Evans. He's played well for us, in some ways better than Maguire so could be worth a shot. Is Ricardo Pereira expensive?
Last edited by oldbluefox on 14 Jul 2019, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Jul 2019, 12:04

How it works is all players get two points if they play.
Keepers and defenders get extra points for clean sheets.
Midfielders and forwards get extra points for goals.
Plus all get points for assists.

So, the top players generally get more points but are obviously more expensive.

The art is finding gems at unfashionable clubs who exceed expectations.

Players from wolves got me a lot of points last season. Of course the same players are more expensive this season.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 14 Jul 2019, 14:03

barney wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 12:04

The art is finding gems at unfashionable clubs who exceed expectations.
We're not unfashionable any more :lol:

Actually we are hoping for a good season having made two good signings in Perez from Newcastle and Tielemans from Monaco.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Jul 2019, 14:11

One bad season away from the indignity of the Championship.
And we all know how difficult it is to get back :o

Return to “General Chat”