How strict are they with luggage weight?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

How strict are they with luggage weight?

Post by Emrobo »

We are trying to get everything into 2 suitcases and one small case (2 adults and 2 children with approx 90 nappies) plus my mum is travelling with us and she will have at least one case.

The car is an estate so can get 3 large cases and possibly one small and we are taking roof rack for 2 x buggies and other bits.

One case is now weighing approx 21.2kg and it says no more than 20 kg, I really am worrying how strict they are with weight - help

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How strict are they with luggage weight?

Post by david63 »

If you are talking about cruises ex Southampton then,within reason, wieght is not a major issue - if, however, you are talking fly cruises then weight is normally strictly adhered to

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

From Southampton, just worried about what it says with the 20kg and that they will ask you to unpack, pretty sure we never had this last time sailing from Southampton - eek

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
If you are talking about cruises ex Southampton then,within reason, wieght is not a major issue - if, however, you are talking fly cruises then weight is normally strictly adhered to
David, The latest "Your Holiday information" brochure for Southampton cruises states that each case should weigh no more than 20kgs for ease of handling, but that there is no restriction on the number of cases as long as they will fit in your cabin.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I agree Towny, but as the cases are not weighed then as I say there is no problem if they are a bit over the "recommended" weight

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I can't see you having a problem, I certainly haven't changed the way I pack since the weight restrictions were altered and I'm sure mine must exceed the 20kg, it is obviously a H&S issue but I work on the summise that if I can lift a case some "strapping bloke" in Southampton isn't going to have a problem :D
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I think it's an H&S initiative. I always struggle to keep my cases under the 20kg mark and they're not big cases but I always try to keep them around the 20kgs mark. I have never had any problems. I believe gone are the days when you had huge suitcases of 30kgs.
Looking at the size of some of the suitcases I wonder how they manage to keep them to 20kgs. What have they got in them - feathers?

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

It may be an initiative but I would guess not the rule as on our Thomsons flight on 1 Feb one case could weigh up to 23kgs. Emirates and BA ex-UK allow one case to weigh up to 32kgs and someone working in the UK, probably in a union has to lift them - so where are the H&S guys here... My guess is it is P&O / holiday companies. Now I am not at all technically minded etc.. But I would guess the heavier weight the more fuel is needed to propel whatever method of transport is being used - so cost saving by trying to keep weights down (I am sure the engineers amongst you will tell me differently :D ). Or lifting and delivering a very heavy case takes longer, so longer hours for the staff - more wages... :lol: What a cynic I am.....
Jenni

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The weight "request" of 20kg per item is something that the unions are trying to introduce on H&S grounds but currently there is no law/regulation stipulating this therefore it can only be a request. The one exception to this is where you are using Eavesway and the weight restriction is within their terms of carriage.

Having said that I find that anything much over 20kg is getting a bit too heavy to lift in and out of the car anyway (must be getting old :think:) and whilst the luggage handlers at the docks may be "burly" I am not sure that that description can always be applied to the luggage handlers on the ship

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Thanks All - managed to get out at 11pm and load the car with current cases and added another one and also tested everything in roof box so we are taking an extra case now and most cases are under 20kgs bar in one, still haven't got the suit bags in though, but will just walk on with them ha ha!! Couldn't sacrifice the box of wine either for the cabin!!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We haven't had our bags weighed for ages - even at LHR the weighing of bags was only cursory; three cheers for airline check-in online and bag dumps.

Anyway, have a really wonderful cruise.

Em :)

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”