Fjords - which ship

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Fjords - which ship

Post by JenniC »

We are thinking of doing a week to the Fjords either, July, end August or early Sept (Just waiting for deals to be released!) Would quite like a smaller ship this time, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Never been to Fjords before so any other help/ideas also welcome :P
Jenni

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fjords - which ship

Post by david63 »

The obvious choice would be Adonia as she can reach places that other ships cannot. Taking Azura/Ventura also out of the equation then all the other ships are about the same size so they will all be going to more or less the same places.

At the end of the day your choice of ship will be governed, to a large extent, by which ships are going to the Fjords at the time that you want to go.

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Thanks David - agree that this is the governing factor, but all 4 smaller ships have an itinerary and times that we could do - so up to us really I guess!
Jenni

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Annother factor to consider is that if you wanted to have a balcony cabin then you could rule out Oriana as she has a lot less balconies than the other ships.

If it was me I would go for one of the aft balcony cabins on Arcadia

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

You are absolutely right on the money David - an aft balcony in the Fjords is a superb plan. However, when sailing into a Fjord don't forget to make use (early morning especially) of the public balcony area forward (this varies from one ship to another obviously) located just underneath the Bridge, for really great photo opportunities of the sail-in.

Have a wonderful time.

Em :)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Jenni, you have certainly got a lot of choice. There are lots of P & O cruises going North this summer. I think they must be paying P & O to take their ships up there lol.

Sue

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

We travelled on Adonia to North Cape last year.

We prefer smaller ships too - although might have to think twice on a longer cruise, as the entertainment is obviously limited.

Our trip to Norway was early June and weather good - apart from a mist at the most northern point! The advantage of a small ship - apart from easy and quick disembarkation - is that many of the ports visited were relatively small and were not swamped by passengers. We did encounter a few larger ships in some ports - but not enough to make the shore trips too crowded.

The scenery and clear atmosphere were at times breathtaking but personally, having travelled there once, we probably wouldnt go again. Our holiday preferences lean toward warmer climes!

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

JillD66 wrote:
Our holiday preferences lean toward warmer climes!
Ours too, as just got back from two wonderful weeks in Caribbean, but we just fancy a change and a smaller ship - so need to do it.. Thanks for reply and interesting re weather.... :D
Jenni

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

JillD66 wrote:
The scenery and clear atmosphere were at times breathtaking but personally, having travelled there once, we probably wouldnt go again. Our holiday preferences lean toward warmer climes!
I agree Jill. We cruised the fjords for 7 nights on our first P & O cruise on Oceana. It was the end of August and unfortunately the weather was not good. The best time to go to the fjords is may/June. We have a friend who is from Norway and she recommends this time of year. We loved the scenery but found it very expensive ashore and did miss the sun. The nicest day was the day before and Southampton day.

We may at sometime cruise further North to take in Iceland and Sweden but when I have retired so that holidays aren't so precious. At the moment with limited hols I prefer the warmer climates of the Caribbean and in summer the Med.

Hope you have a great cruise Jenni. We loved the Adonia. Very friendly but no big theatre shows. Great atmosphere on board. More like a Country Club.

Sue

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Sue/Jill - this is our dilemma as I too love the sun and although limited, I do get good holidays, but Steve doesn't. I so want to see the fjords, but and it is a BIG BUT... I am still not 100% sure - so exploring all options at the moment.... Decisions, decisions ;)
Jenni

paultheeagle
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by paultheeagle »

If you are looking for something a bit different have a look at Hurtigruten...I ain't been to the fiords, yet, but when I do I will go with Hurtigruten...Their holidays look and sound absolutely brilliant...
Up The Palace

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If you like smaller ships then Adonia may be the answer. However we have been to the fjords on Aurora and had a marvellous time.
The scenery is beautiful, the ports quiet and peaceful and it all makes for a very relaxing holiday. Geiranger and Stavanger are our favourites although most cruises usually stop in Bergen and there is plenty to see and do there.
Weatherwise we have always been lucky and have, in three visits, always managed to avoid rain..
We have enjoyed Norway so much we are doing our fourth cruise there in a few weeks time.
If you want to get into some of the smaller ports then Hurtigruten would be ideal. However they are not cruise ships as such but seem to carry the post so there will be no formal nights, entertainment or speciality restaurants as on P&O but many people who 'don't do cruising' go with Hurtigruten and enjoy the experience.

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

We also want to do Iceland and the Fjords one day, but not while I'm still working and our holidays are late September and May. So really like to find warm weather.

another one to consider is Marco Polo - she goes to the north out of Tilbury, Harwich and Bristol and some others. A friend of mine has been on her and said she is lovely - about 800 pax.

rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

We did the fjords on FO Balmoral last year and had a wonderful time. She is quite small, about 1200 passengers.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We did the Fjords late June / early July which included Ireland, Iceland, Amsterdam, Bruges and St Peter Port in the Channel Islands and it was a magnificant cruise ... we sailed on Oriana but the ideal, for us, would be Adonia.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Jenni - just a thought if your holiday days are limited. We love the Baltic cruises many of which include a taster of Norway!

We've been a few times and without trying to put a jinx on future hols - weather has been great. In fact the first time we went to St Petersberg in May it was around 30 degrees! Perhaps we were just lucky.

Also, in the Baltic theres so much to see and so many different cultures.

Mind you - I'd rather be in the Caribbean than at home today!!

Jill

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

Our first cruise was to the fjords. We got sunburnt in Stavanger, had a giant hailstorm in Flam, and experienced just about every other kind of weather in between ... thank goodness there are no luggage restrictions, because you need the whole range of your wardrobe!

You will love it Jenni. The scenery is beautiful, and you get lovely long days. At the end of June the sun set at around 11.30pm

We took our walking boots, and did plenty of walking at each port. As usual our plan was always to get as high as possible for the best views
Angela

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”