Superior De Luxe Cabins

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
karenandbob
Third Officer
Third Officer

Superior De Luxe Cabins

Post by karenandbob »

I just wandered what other cruisers thought : is it worth an extra £500 odd to have a superior de luxe cabin to a standard balcony cabin? I know you get extra room in the cabin and a bath with a shower over, but the balcony is over looked, but is it worth it? How much time do you actually spend in your cabin? Can't make up our minds whether to book a sdlb or a sbc. :?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Superior De Luxe Cabins

Post by Manoverboard »

We booked D715 on Azura and if we ever cruise on her again, or Ventura, we will certainly go for the same cabin type.

It is, to us, a touch of luxury that we owe ourselves from time to time albeit not on every cruise :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I suppose it's all down to you personally - if you can absolutely guarantee beyond any shadow of a doubt that you will not be spending much time in your stateroom or on the balcony then maybe you could go for the less costly option. However, we none of us know what may happen from one hour to the next (especially on a cruise when we are out of our normal circumstances), and just maybe it will be a good idea to go for the most costly option.

As other forum members will know that I go out of my way to 'plan to succeed', and part of so doing is getting a nice large stateroom and balcony to go with it. I also like to insist on the bath and shower being separate. That's just me being a fusspot - but it's how my husband and I prefer it.

So, there is no right answer and no wrong answer to your problem - only you can sort that one out. The most important thing is that no matter what you decide - have a great time.

Em :)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Many will say no, it isn't worth the extra. You often read how many prefer to take more cruises, rather than fewer in a more expensive cabin.

We are the opposite, we like space and if we had to choose, we would prefer to go less often, but in a larger cabin with a large balcony.

There is no right or wrong. Only you can decide which is right for you.
Gill

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Having been in one for our wedding anniversary in November 2012 I would not pay the extra and go in one again. I really dont think what you get extra which end of the day is a slightly larger cabin is worth the expense but that is only my opinion and we have cruised in inside, outside and standard balconies in the past.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I believe the higher up you are, the more expensive the cabin. Our cabin (sorry, stateroom) on Deck 5 of the QM2 was identical to my in-laws' room on deck 11, so I wouldn't pay extra for that. Keeping an eye on what would be above and below us, we tend to book as low down as possible (next cruise we're on the Lido deck, that's all that was available :-(), and use the money we could have spent on a higher grade room for drinks or excursions.

As far as balconies are concerned, we watch the waves from the prom deck, and as we like to people-watch, that precludes a balcony for us.

PERSONALLY I don't think it's worth the extra expense, but as has been said by more than one here, it's really down to your personal preference.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

I always thought that it would be worth the extra money to have a larger cabin and balcony and although have never had a superior, we always opted for balcony. On our last cruise (Feb 1st to Caribbean on Ventura) we booked last minute and could only get an inside and were very apprehensive - but it was a saving of approx £1800 on our normal cruise cost. We need not have worried, we loved the cabin, everything was there for us, we had loads of room and our steward was brilliant. Ok so no view, but rather than lay in bed or stay on our balcony, we got up earlier, went on deck and enjoyed sail-ins with others - which was great. Overall we used to spend very little time on the balcony, it was just the fact that we could if we wanted and reckon we spent no more that 1 hour each day, over 14 days the extra cost of £1800 works out at £128 per hour..... Better spent on trips, dining and wine IMO so would not hesitate to go inside again.
Jenni

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We have had all manner of staterooms from balcony down to inside, although never anything as sumptuous as a suite, mini suite or superior de luxe balcony. Just lately we have booked inside cabins. The only downside is the lack of a window so you are never aware of what is going on outside but that only serves to encourage you to get out on deck and enjoy sail-ins, sailaways, bars and lounges. And as Jenni says, it leaves you with more money for drinks, excursions and shop purchases.
I wouldn't mind a de luxe cabin but only on upgrade or a getaway. The difference in price between those and insides is so great it's not a priority for us.

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

There is definitely no "right" answer to this one. It is a "suck it and see" situation. I hope you enjoy whatever cabin (sorry stateroom!) you decide on. Jay
Jay

Claire55
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Claire55 »

We love Superior De Luxe...dont get one every time though but lovely when we do. I tend to spread my stuff out a bit and I like to get ready 'unhindered'

haveabeer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by haveabeer »

Will be our first and probably last experience in a SDC in May onboard Azura really looking forward to it sailing with our good friends around the Med for 17 nights
Dave

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”