Bird watching

Chat about anything here

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Bird watching

Post by Onelife »

I'm not suggesting you go out bird nesting but today l watched two wood pigeons building a nest in our yew tree, we've had blue tits visiting a nest box and our house martins put in an appearance yesterday.

Last year we had two pied wagtails in the lid of our gas tank and our two partridges have come back again this year. We also had a black bird nesting at the front of our house.

If you count Dotty and Suesie (our hens) and the buzzards that fly overhead we are blessed with an abundance of our feathered friends.

Is your garden a haven for birds?

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Bird watching

Post by barney »

Tits and Goldfinches.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Where we are staying there are two feeders and there are constant bird visits of all sorts of species including woodpeckers which are beautiful.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

We have 4 feeders and a caged area for ground feeders. We live not far from an SSI so we see quite a wide range of birds. Too many pigeons and too many nest raiding magpies, but loads of others. They are a constant source of amusement.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I agree Frank. Where the feeders are situated is perfect as we can watch the birds while having our meals, including out on the decking. Perfect πŸ‘Œ

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Frank Manning wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 08:03
We have 4 feeders and a caged area for ground feeders. We live not far from an SSI so we see quite a wide range of birds. Too many pigeons and too many nest raiding magpies, but loads of others. They are a constant source of amusement.
Hi Frank,

We moved to Shropshire three years this June and l can't remember seeing one magpie. When we lived near Redditch they were everywhere.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

We have a favoured position on a fence that the pigeons love to crap perch on but not for long as the buzzards swoop and tear them to bits, starting with their heads … lubbly jubbly :sick:

ps … we hate pigeon cos they try to eat the food on the bird table that Mobietta leaves out for the ' little ' birds.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

We have feeders for the birds and have seen sparrows, Robins, blackbirds, blue tits, long tailed tits, thrush, crows, rooks etc. We also had a green woodpecker and her youngster - didn’t realise they would use a feeder.

They get through the feed quite quickly as well.

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

cruisin_duo wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 10:28
We have feeders for the birds and have seen sparrows, Robins, blackbirds, blue tits, long tailed tits, thrush, crows, rooks etc. We also had a green woodpecker and her youngster - didn’t realise they would use a feeder.

They get through the feed quite quickly as well.
Hi crus in,

We get green and spotted woodpeckers on our feeders, so much so that my wife only puts one fat ball out at a time because they can devour it in a matter of a few visits.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

We used to get a good variety of birds including goldfinches, woodpeckers, redpoll, tree creepers, bullfinches, nuthatches and lovely red squirrels. I even went out one day to find a pheasant having a rest in the garden.
Then they built a large estate on the edge of our village. Since they started building work the red squirrels have disappeared as have the majority of the birds so now we just have sparrows, blue tit, coal tits, blackbirds, a thrush and the usual wood pigeons, otherwise known as flying stomachs.However they do clear up any seed which falls from the feeders.
Whenever we are in the conservatory we throw out sultanas which the blackbirds and the thrush really love. They now wait to see if we are 'in residence' and virtually queue up. If we ignore them they sit on the window sill and look in on us and we have had one which used to peck at the glass to get our attention.
I agree they do provide good entertainment. I'm not so keen on starlings which tend to swarm on the feeders and bully all the other birds away whilst demolishing the fat balls and any other feed.
Sometimes we are visited by a sparrowhawk who seems to like pigeon. I'm amazed how quickly they can strike. One day a sparrow was having a dust bath in the sun. One minute here, next he was gone carried away by the hawk.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Onelife,

Find that it’s the grey squirrels that try to take the fat balls, and have had to resort to using β€˜ties’ on the feeders to stop them. You’ve got to admire their ingenuity though. It was funny to see a small squirrel with a fat ball under each armpit, and they still managed to get away!

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

My wife's aunt lives on the outskirts of Sutton Coldfield where she has a enlosed walled garden on a reasonably sized bungalow estate. For the past few years she has had a pair of malards nesting in her garden.....l thought, oh yeah, but we went over one afternoon and sure enough their was mom and dad wondering around the garden with about seven ducklings. There is a park and pond in the vicinity but it's about half a mile away (as the duck flies)

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

24 Mar 2020, 12:32
Onelife,

Find that it’s the grey squirrels that try to take the fat balls, and have had to resort to using β€˜ties’ on the feeders to stop them. You’ve got to admire their ingenuity though. It was funny to see a small squirrel with a fat ball under each armpit, and they still managed to get away!
It must be the sign l put up saying "no magpies and no squirrels" thank you. I haven't seen a squirrel either, even though we have a row of oak trees up the lane.
Last edited by Onelife on 24 Mar 2020, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 12:50
My wife's aunt lives on the outskirts of Sutton Coldfield where she has a enlosed walled garden on a reasonably sized bungalow estate. For the past few years she has had a pair of malards nesting in her garden.....l thought, oh yeah, but we went over one afternoon and sure enough their was mom and dad wondering around the garden with about seven ducklings. There is a park and pond in the vicinity but it's about half a mile away (as the duck flies)
Get off … a Mallard is a train …. just saying :angel:

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 13:25
That's why l spelt mine with one L as l knew you'd get confused :) :angel:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

24 Mar 2020, 15:21
24 Mar 2020, 13:25
That's why l spelt mine with one L as l knew you'd get confused :) :angel:
Touche pussycat :lol: :lol:

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Shows what I know!!! I thought Malard was a type of champagne. :(

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I thought it was a steam train

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Our resident birds are Mr & Mrs Blackbird. On a sunny day like today, they like to sit on the lawn and bask in the sun. We also have a pair of collared doves who like to sit on the (now defunct) satellite dish. When I wake up in the morning , the dish is in just the right place for the doves to be staring into the window at me.

We also have the ubiquitous wood pigeons, and a robin who visits often and a pair of wrens have suddenly turned up. Also at various times we have jays, thrushes, magpies, chaffinches, goldfinches, blue tits, and once we had a pheasant. Plus starlings and sparrows.

When looking out of the window, we've also noticed that there are no vapour trails anymore.
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Gill W wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 16:28

When looking out of the window, we've also noticed that there are no vapour trails anymore.
I'm sure Greta's thrilled :D

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Vapour trails = No : Tractor trails = Yes :relaxed:

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

24 Mar 2020, 17:43
Vapour trails = No : Tractor trails = Yes :relaxed:

Plenty of them around here and pot holes you definitely want to avoid or never be seen again.
Last edited by Stephen on 24 Mar 2020, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

anniec wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 17:04
24 Mar 2020, 16:28

I'm sure Greta's thrilled :D
She's probably knackered from all the rowing she's having to do now to get to the demonstrations. :sarcasm: :clap:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

towny44 wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 18:57
She's probably knackered from all the rowing she's having to do now to get to the demonstrations. :sarcasm: :clap:
Now we've got social distancing she's looking for a bigger field for her demonstrations. I gave her OL's number.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2020, 19:10
Now we've got social distancing she's looking for a bigger field for her demonstrations. I gave her OL's number.
Is Shropshire big enough to hold a demonstration?
John

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

24 Mar 2020, 19:36
Shropshire is the biggest county in England and you can easily get lost in it...why don't you come over with Foxy and try it? :thumbup: :D

:wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

She won’t be doing any demos for a little while. She’s reported that she’s in self isolation, as she’s got COVID19 symptoms!
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

24 Mar 2020, 21:34
She won’t be doing any demos for a little while. She’s reported that she’s in self isolation, as she’s got COVID19 symptoms!
One can but hope that the virus might rewire her brain. :sarcasm:
John

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

24 Mar 2020, 20:13

Shropshire is the biggest county in England and you can easily get lost in it...why don't you come over with Foxy and try it? :thumbup: :D

Wrong yet again OL it is only the 15th largest, and you could fit 4 Shropshires into Yorkshire and still have room for Middlesex.
John

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

24 Mar 2020, 23:05

Wrong yet again OL it is only the 15th largest, and you could fit 4 Shropshires into Yorkshire and still have room for Middlesex.
Hi John

I don't know where you are getting all this "wrong Again" assertions from.......everyone on this forum... bar you... know onelife is right about most things :D

However I'm not really into point scoring but as you insist.....Shropshire is the biggest inland county in England...fact!

I'll happily call it a draw if it pleases

Last edited by Onelife on 25 Mar 2020, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Well, getting back to bird watching we also had a pheasant visit the garden on a very frosty day. He sat on the fence for quite a while. Gill how lucky you are to see goldfinches and chaffinches - we rarely see them in our garden.

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

I struggle with colours theses days but the Goldfinch has to be one of our most attractive birds...the spotted woodpecker looks a bit chipper also.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Yes, we are so lucky to have such wonderful birds. We appreciate them even more during these difficult times.

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

25 Mar 2020, 10:23
Yes, we are so lucky to have such wonderful birds. We appreciate them even more during these difficult times.
And so say all of us :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

25 Mar 2020, 09:06
24 Mar 2020, 23:05

Hi John

I don't know where you are getting all this "wrong Again" assertions from.......everyone on this forum... bar you... know onelife is right about most things :D

However I'm not really into point scoring but as you insist.....Shropshire is the biggest inland county in England...fact!

I'll happily call it a draw if it pleases

Yorkshire cheats by having three counties! I think that is the anomaly. Shropshire is bigger than each of the Yorkshires individually but when they gang up.....

And I believe without your inland qualification Devon is the biggest, ignoring the Yorkshire gang.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Dorset is by far the largest County that has borders on Hampshire, Somerset and Devon …. so there :P

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

26 Mar 2020, 11:59
Dorset is by far the largest County that has borders on Hampshire, Somerset and Devon …. so there :P
I will let you and OL fight it out amongst yourselves, whilst I bask in the knowledge that Yorkshire COUNTY is by far the largest and its 3 RIDINGS are still bigger than Dorset or Shropshire.
John

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

26 Mar 2020, 12:05
I will let you and OL fight it out amongst yourselves, whilst I bask in the knowledge that Yorkshire COUNTY is by far the largest and its 3 RIDINGS are still bigger than Dorset or Shropshire.
In the greater scheme of things "size" doesn't matter according to my wife :oops:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Neither OL nor I give a toss about the size of Yorkshire … just saying :yawn:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

26 Mar 2020, 13:18
In the greater scheme of things "size" doesn't matter according to my wife :oops:
My sympathies are with your wife.
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Nought like a birra reassurance ( he said in a Yorkshire drone ) :wave:

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

26 Mar 2020, 13:26

Nought like a birra reassurance ( he said in a Yorkshire drone ) :wave:
Even the smallest of things can bring great pleasure. :angel: :lol:
Last edited by Onelife on 26 Mar 2020, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

We in South Dorset don't care which county thinks it is the biggest. They'm all grockles.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

26 Mar 2020, 13:25

:lol:

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2020, 14:41
26 Mar 2020, 13:25

:lol:
He knows me well Stephen :thumbup:

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

You've got far too much free time on your hands. I'd better have a word with your good lady about upping your chore list.

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2020, 14:46
You've got far too much free time on your hands. I'd better have a word with your good lady about upping your chore list.
You'll be lucky to catch her in....l've just sent her out to dig the boarders :thumbup: :lol:

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

I was thinking to myself wondering how birds lay claim to nesting sites.......This article makes interesting reading if you are so inclined.......

https://www.thespruce.com/how-birds-cla ... ory-386444

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

When you say " if you are so inclined " … no, surely not, I must have misunderstood ;)

Topic author
Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

26 Mar 2020, 17:32
When you say " if you are so inclined " … no, surely not, I must have misunderstood ;)
:lol: :lol:

Return to β€œGeneral Chat”