Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post Covid cruising restart guidelines

Post by towny44 »

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/ ... 115942-557

The above is a link to a document detailing the possible procedures that could be needed for cruise ships to begin operating again. However the bottom one is probably easier to read.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/eu ... operations
Last edited by Manoverboard on 02 Jul 2020, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Post Covid cruising restart guidelines

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That makes sense. But doesn't look much like a cruise I want to be on.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines interpret it and what they plan putting in place.

No matter what is proposed at this stage it will be constantly changing, partly due to the regulations/guideline changing and also from experience of operating cruises

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Me neither Merv.

Lindsey

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

“ consider limiting the number of taxis and coaches to prevent crowding”

Er... shouldn’t that be increasing the number of taxis and coaches?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Part of the report states ...

“ Ships must be able to individually isolate 5% of passengers and 5% of crew on board when it will not be possible to disembark those who need to be quarantined or isolated within 24 hours from detection of the first possible COVID-19 case. When it will be possible to disembark passengers and crew within that 24-hour window, isolation space on board will be required for only 1% of passengers and 1% of crew. “

We can have no idea at all how many passengers will be on each cruise of course but while I was reading it my mind went back to Oriana when we had a Noro epidemic. There were over 400 cases I recall, but let us accept that I may have got that wrong and that it was only half of that, let us say 200. Using a figure of 1,000 passengers per ship the isolation procedure to cater for cases of folk with symptoms of CV, including similar symptoms, is between 10 and 50 ... the mind boggles and especially so if it takes more than 24 hours to confirm the test results while half the passengers are walking about in a dream not knowing if they have it or not.

We cannot cruise but if we could ‘ We wouldn’t start here ' as they say :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 14:24
“ consider limiting the number of taxis and coaches to prevent crowding”

Er... shouldn’t that be increasing the number of taxis and coaches?
I suspect that it meant those being allowed to unload at any one time, but with social distancing on coaches you will need more, although assuming taxis only have passengers from the same family/household, you would not need more of them.
However this document was prepared by the EU and not cruise lines, and is mainly to act as a discussion point and does not propose anything mandatory itself.
John

RAwllE-12
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RAwllE-12 »

The above is most interesting as today my brother has received a letter from his M.P in answer to a letter he sent to him re cruising.
In short Cruising or mass gatherings that entail indoors or confined space and where it is not possible to keep at the distance of recommended distance separation, a start date will not be forthcoming from any U.K. port until the R rate is at 2 or below also it is at present against F.C.O guidelines.
He has three cruises booked for 2021, and after talking to his insurance company they have informed him that should a passenger contact Govid 19 onboard that would also invalidate his insurance also he would not be covered if the F.C.O was advising against travel.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to book a cruise. Allot of 'recommendations' rather than compulsories......at the moment.

Hopefully by next July when the good lady and I cruise we may have a bit more normality.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 15:12
Hopefully by next July when the good lady and I cruise we may have a bit more normality.
Or more importantly by next March when your final balance is due!

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

RAwllE-12 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 14:46
The above is most interesting as today my brother has received a letter from his M.P in answer to a letter he sent to him re cruising.
In short Cruising or mass gatherings that entail indoors or confined space and where it is not possible to keep at the distance of recommended distance separation, a start date will not be forthcoming from any U.K. port until the R rate is at 2 or below also it is at present against F.C.O guidelines.
He has three cruises booked for 2021, and after talking to his insurance company they have informed him that should a passenger contact Govid 19 onboard that would also invalidate his insurance also he would not be covered if the F.C.O was advising against travel.
The R rate is below 1 at present so that should be OK, however FCO advisories still do not permit non essential travel.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Correct David.
Balance due to travel agent in March, P&O want their money by April. Will evaluate the situation before then though. Not a massive deposit loss if decided to cancel.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It was interesting to read, but I wouldn't go on a cruise on that basis.

It doesn't sound like a relaxing break at all.
Gill

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 16:02
It was interesting to read, but I wouldn't go on a cruise on that basis.

It doesn't sound like a relaxing break at all.
The document is only a discussion one provided by an EU quango, it would need the cruise lines to decide how close they could get to that ideal safety standard.
However, since cruising from Southampton is our only way to obtain an overseas holiday, then I think we would just have to grin and bear it, but since the majority of cruise forum members don't fancy the idea it may mean it will be far easier for us to social distance without any stress.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We only have one cruise currently booked and that's our QM2 postponed from May this year to May next. We have to pay the balance mid Feb but if there's any doubt we'll cancel and forfeit the deposit.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 02 Jul 2020, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

I'll pass, thanks.:wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Some cruise lines are putting their toes back in the water, to test out their new procedures.

Mein Schiff 2 is currently at sea for a weekend cruise to nowhere, from Hamburg. The ship normally carries 2900 passengers. They limited the capacity to 60% (1740), but only have 1200 onboard.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/cr ... 509762002/

Passengers have to undergo temperature checks each morning

https://twitter.com/CremonaDario/status ... 67360?s=20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Aida have three test voyages starting from 5 August.

However, they have already run into some problems. They've bought 750 crew over from Asia and 10 have tested positive from COVID19, despite being negative before they boarded the plane. The story in the link says that the cruises will not be delayed, but I've seen somewhere else saying that they cruises will be put back. So will have to wait and see what happens

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... 74032.html
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've also seen that Variety Cruises, a smaller yacht type cruise are sailing round the Greek Islands.

The crew's face coverings look about as good as a chocolate teapot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I think the challenges will be huge to get back to anywhere like a cruise with destination ports, and for it to be a relaxing holiday experience.

The situation is very fluid, as indicated by the change last night in the status of Spain as a destination. As indicated by Aida, there could be issues with the crew being infected, not to mention passengers coming on board with the virus. They are putting in place so many checks and extra sanitisation, but it's not going to be 100% safe from the virus.

I think real cruising is over for this year, and probably the first part of next year too. My friend knows someone who is a Loyalty Manager on P&O, and he's been told that he's not going to be required until next April at the earliest. He's currently working as an Amazon delivery driver.

When it eventually starts up, I think it will be different, with more use of technology, for ordering food and drinks etc. I've been to a pub and ordered my food on an app, and found it enjoyable, so I think I would like this - much better than signing with a pen that half the ship has used.

Royal Caribbean has unveiled Muster 2.0, a new way for the safety drill.

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles ... er-process

P&O are really going to have to up their game
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Perhaps all passengers should each receive a free gift in their cabins ... a box of ' Diazepam ' would be ideal :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 12:06
P&O are really going to have to up their game
P&O have already started to "up their game". On Ventura earlier this year all the bar staff and wine waiters were using terminals which scanned your card and displayed your photo - no slips to sign. Also I believe that Iona has all the caballing installed for the keyless/cardless system that is on the latest Princess ship.

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I do agree that for the first 12 months cruising will seem very different to how it has been in the past. But I do think that even without a vaccine, which I hope will be available soon, the situation will gradually evolve and the more onerous aspects of the new cruising will be amended to make them more acceptable.
I would expect P&O with their current ships wi fi system should be able to quickly gear up an app system that enables bookings to be done, and drinks ordered in a similar manner to RCIs system, and I imagine we will very quickly adapt and embrace it.
The CLIA and all countries with ports of call, and especially turnround ports, will need to agree to a protocol for routine handling of shore excursions, and equally importantly for how to handle any outbreaks on board. It will not be acceptable to refuse to allow seriously ill passenger to be taken to a local hospital, neither will the quarantine of all passengers to their cabins. Not sure how difficult this will be to achieve, but I think it will be necessary.
John

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I’m less concerned about being on the ship to how the port situation will be.
What’s the point of going to a lovely destination only for it to be half closed with lots of restrictions?
Imagine trying to walk around say the Vatican in a mask and being rushed?
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

towny44 wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 14:00
I do agree that for the first 12 months cruising will seem very different to how it has been in the past. But I do think that even without a vaccine, which I hope will be available soon, the situation will gradually evolve and the more onerous aspects of the new cruising will be amended to make them more acceptable.
I would expect P&O with their current ships wi fi system should be able to quickly gear up an app system that enables bookings to be done, and drinks ordered in a similar manner to RCIs system, and I imagine we will very quickly adapt and embrace it.
The CLIA and all countries with ports of call, and especially turnround ports, will need to agree to a protocol for routine handling of shore excursions, and equally importantly for how to handle any outbreaks on board. It will not be acceptable to refuse to allow seriously ill passenger to be taken to a local hospital, neither will the quarantine of all passengers to their cabins. Not sure how difficult this will be to achieve, but I think it will be necessary.
I think it’s going to be very difficult for the cruise lines to work out what to do.

They will need to do everything that is done on land, and more, as it’s a closed community which is ideal for the spread of infections. Since I gave up work at the end of 2014, I’ve had three colds, all caught on winter cruises - it’s very easy for these things to spread, even though I am scrupulous about hand washing and using hand sanitiser.

Currently, on land, if we come into contact with a person with c19, we have to self isolate. If that’s still the case when cruises start, and there was an outbreak on board, I can’t see any way round some sort of quarantine, otherwise people could be walking around infecting each other.
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”