Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Travel Insurance Update

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 17:48
oldtimer wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 16:56
Has anyone used Holiday Extras recommended by P&O, i got a good travel insurance quote from them but are they OK
We’ve used them for an annual policy taken out at the time of paying balance .
That will also cover our Canary cruise in January.
£112 for both of us with no ailments
I found Holiday Extras extortionate when I was looking and, at that time, their Covid cover did not comply with P&O's requirements.

The thing about travel insurance is that there is no "one size fits all", everyone is different and whilst one policy is right for one it is totally wrong for someone else,

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’ve recently got insurance cover with M&S that automatically covers cruising, underwritten by Aviva.

Good cover and price including declared medical conditions.
Last edited by Stephen on 08 Jun 2022, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Thanks, chaps. I've accepted a quote from Aviva for annual cover for the two of us including covid, cruise and a minor existing medial condition @ £330.
Stephen I missed your post or I would have tried M&S - never thought about them and they get at least £100 per week from us!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

kaymar wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 17:15
Thanks, chaps. I've accepted a quote from Aviva for annual cover for the two of us including covid, cruise and a minor existing medial condition @ £330.
Stephen I missed your post or I would have tried M&S - never thought about them and they get at least £100 per week from us!

If it’s any help kaymar you normally get 14 days to cancel after taking out a policy providing you haven’t started using it and made a claim.

Our single trip premium was just under £82 for the two of us, and with medical declarations. I chose going through M&S rather than direct with Aviva, not because there was any price difference but because I could choose £50 for my excess whereas Aviva had a set excess of £100 for all claims.

I like a bargain :thumbup:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Stephen wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 07:28
kaymar wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 17:15

If it’s any help kaymar you normally get 14 days to cancel after taking out a policy providing you haven’t started using it and made a claim.

Our single trip premium was just under £82 for the two of us, and with medical declarations. I chose going through M&S rather than direct with Aviva, not because there was any price difference but because I could choose £50 for my excess whereas Aviva had a set excess of £100 for all claims.

I like a bargain :thumbup:
What you should know before you start your quote
M&S Travel Insurance is not available to customers who live in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man

Thanks anyway, Stephen. Absolutely no logic to it, though. :?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

They’re a funny lot over there ;) :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Just had a very pleasant travel insurance experience when I renewed our annual policy that comes with our NatWest account. The basic policy is included with the account. We just pay a supplement now we are over 70 and to cover pre existing conditions. I was amazed to find the supplement was exactly the same as last year, and at a little over £400 very reasonable for 12 months worldwide cover, including cruising and Covid, for any number of trips up 31 days each, and considering my 2020 health adventures.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

They're probably just keeping you sweet Merv. They don't want you moving you millions to an off shore account :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Does my Isle of Wight Post Office account count?

Fairladie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Fairladie »

Can anyone recommend an insurance co. for a 80yr old. We were with AXA for years through my husbands employment but unfortunately they no longer do travel ins.
Last edited by Fairladie on 15 Jul 2022, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Hi Fairladie
I have no idea of how competitive they are but you could try the likes of Staysure, InsureAndGo or Saga.

Best bet is to try the usual price comparison sites: comparethemarket, gocompare, moneysupermarket, confused etc. They may not quote but may give alternatives to try.
Last edited by Kendhni on 16 Jul 2022, 06:35, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum Fairladie. :wave:

All I can suggest is trying the usual companies, some of which Ken has named.

I’ve been hunting around for travel insurance recently and finally settled on Marks and Spencer. Nothing to lose getting a quote.

Good luck :thumbup:

https://bank.marksandspencer.com/insura ... insurance/

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

It may be worth ‘phoning BIBA (Brit Insurance Brokers’ Assn.) They will ask a few questions to get an idea of the nature of the cover required and then suggest a number of companies that are likely to offer cover. In my case they suggested three companies. As it happens we were happy with the first company & bought cover from them.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”