Cruising post Covid-19

Topics that are specific to cruising

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Cruising post Covid-19

Post by Bensham33 »

The weather in this country ain't that bad and when the weather is good there is no finer place to be.
Up the Palace

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Bensham33 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 13:48
The weather in this country ain't that bad and when the weather is good there is no finer place to be.
But there are no guarantees, and bad weather in the UK can last for weeks, whereas in the Med even a cloudy day will be warmer than the UK, and it rarely rains more than once in any 2 week period.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 13:57
it rarely rains more than once in any 2 week period.
Problem is though that when you are a cruise that "one day" follows you around :lol: :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

But there are no guarantees, and bad weather in the UK can last for weeks, whereas in the Med even a cloudy day will be warmer than the UK, and it rarely rains more than once in any 2 week period.
For years we have followed the forecasts and booked B&Bs / Pubs / Hotels at short notice all over the Country for a rolling 5 day period. Had georgeous weather and great accomodation but in case of an emergency we take a raincoat with us :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 22 Jan 2021, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The weather in good old blighty doesn't bother us one bit. We just make the best of it.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 14:37
For years we have followed the forecasts and booked B&Bs / Pubs / Hotels at short notice all over the Country for a rolling 5 day period. Had georgeous weather and great accomodation but in case of an emergency we take a raincoat with us :roll: :lol:
We have different requirements to you though Moby, and having a 2 week plus holiday in one mobile hotel, with good accessible facilities and only packing and unpacking once, is far more attractive to us than several short breaks.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Everybody has different hopes for a holiday. Like John, weather is very important to us and while not guaranteed we like to go somewhere were there is a better chance of good weather. That is why we generally fly-cruise rather than sail out of Southampton (which we have done and they had a remarkable system in place there).

Sadly I consider many hotels and attractions in the UK to be very over priced and far too many are of dubious quality.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We've booked two self catering holiday cottages for June and September. Hopefully get at least one of them👍

When staying in the UK we like to be able to take our dog with us so we're looking for a different type of holiday where there are plenty of different walks ...beaches and woods. We take clothing to suit all types of weather!

Although self catering we eat out in the evening (alternate evening's) not every evening got to think of our dog:)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 17:36
Everybody has different hopes for a holiday. Like John, weather is very important to us and while not guaranteed we like to go somewhere were there is a better chance of good weather. That is why we generally fly-cruise rather than sail out of Southampton (which we have done and they had a remarkable system in place there).

Sadly I consider many hotels and attractions in the UK to be very over priced and far too many are of dubious quality.

That’s why we nearly always prefer self catering in the UK, and always stay at the same accommodation we know and feel very comfortable with in East Devon where we also have family. Yes the weather can be a bit hit and miss but we are usually pretty lucky, and when the weather is good there is is no other place I’d rather be.

Last edited by Stephen on 23 Jan 2021, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If you want low prices then the quality could be dubious ... just saying :lol:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

A few years ago we joined a self catering holiday organisation and have enjoyed some great holidays around GB. They have properties abroad as well but we are happy to stay at home for self catering and do away with all the hassle of airports and travel.
The beauty of this arrangement is in knowing the standard and quality of the properties we are going to which is consistently high. We get up when we want, we eat what we want when we want it and if we feel like a day of slumming it with a drink and a book whatever the weather we can do it. We have also discovered towns, cities, historic houses and walks we would never have otherwise thought were there. There is much to be commended about staying at home and visiting different places cos there are some real gems out there. The only problem can be the weather but w are rarely put off for too long. Tipping it down? Visit a museum, attraction or stately home.
Having said all that we both like the sun but the sun doesn't like us so we enjoy our cruises to warmer climes but we are equally happy in cooler regions and love the snow so we get the best of all worlds. If I'm on holiday, wherever i may be, I am happy.

I think Ken's being a bit harsh on our hoteliers. True there are some dubious ones but you can find that overseas as well. We have stayed in some lovely hotels in UK and they have not been overpriced. On our long distance walks we have come across some right grotspot B&Bs too but others have been absolutely wonderful. Either way it's a mixed bag out there but nowadays there are plenty of reviews to help. As Mob says, if you are looking for cheap then quality may suffer.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 09:40

Not sure who your post is aimed at Moby but we stay at very comfortable self catering accommodation, and have been for many years now. Not the cheapest, but as you say you get what you pay for. The owners who are our friends live opposite so if there is ever any issues they are right there.

https://www.helpfulholidays.co.uk/cotta ... _display=1

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 09:50
A few years ago we joined a self catering holiday organisation and have enjoyed some great holidays around GB. They have properties abroad as well but we are happy to stay at home for self catering and do away with all the hassle of airports and travel.
The beauty of this arrangement is in knowing the standard and quality of the properties we are going to which is consistently high. We get up when we want, we eat what we want when we want it and if we feel like a day of slumming it with a drink and a book whatever the weather we can do it. We have also discovered towns, cities, historic houses and walks we would never have otherwise thought were there. There is much to be commended about staying at home and visiting different places cos there are some real gems out there. The only problem can be the weather but w are rarely put off for too long. Tipping it down? Visit a museum, attraction or stately home.
Having said all that we both like the sun but the sun doesn't like us so we enjoy our cruises to warmer climes but we are equally happy in cooler regions and love the snow so we get the best of all worlds. If I'm on holiday, wherever i may be, I am happy.

I think Ken's being a bit harsh on our hoteliers. True there are some dubious ones but you can find that overseas as well. We have stayed in some lovely hotels in UK and they have not been overpriced. On our long distance walks we have come across some right grotspot B&Bs too but others have been absolutely wonderful. Either way it's a mixed bag out there but nowadays there are plenty of reviews to help. As Mob says, if you are looking for cheap then quality may suffer.

Couldn't have said it better Foxy :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The beauty of this arrangement is in knowing the standard and quality of the properties we are going to which is consistently high....
Us too :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:21

Not sure who your post is aimed at Moby but we stay at very comfortable self catering accommodation, and have been for many years now. Not the cheapest, but as you say you get what you pay for. The owners who are our friends live opposite so if there is ever any issues they are right there.

Not ' aimed ' at anybody in particular, it's blindingly obvious that one gets what one pays for.

Interestingly, or not, we used to pay fairly modest prices in the UK but be prepared to pay a whole lot more sur la continent or in North America etc. Why did we think that way I wonder ?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:40

Not ' aimed ' at anybody in particular, it's blindingly obvious that one gets what one pays for.

Interestingly, or not, we used to pay fairly modest prices in the UK but be prepared to pay a whole lot more sur la continent or in North America etc. Why did we think that way I wonder ?
If one is prepared to pay a certain amount overall for a holiday, by the time one has taken out flights, airport parking, losses on currency exchange etc. one can certainly get very up market accommodation the UK if one still spends the same.

I understand the weather argument. However, good weather is not 100% guaranteed abroad. And bad weather overseas can be so much more disappointing. While there is still much to do on a wet windy day in the UK, if one was planning to lay on a beach somewhere for a fortnight the alternatives may not be so forthcoming or attractive. When we stay in the UK we always assume the weather will be awful and are usually pleasantly surprised when it isn't.

We are, however, looking forward (hopefully) to our first post Covid cruise in 2022, which will be Queen Victoria to...................

............ the British Isles.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:50
Manoverboard wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:40

If one is prepared to pay a certain amount overall for a holiday, by the time one has taken out flights, airport parking, losses on currency exchange etc. one can certainly get very up market accommodation the UK if one still spends the same.

I understand the weather argument. However, good weather is not 100% guaranteed abroad. And bad weather overseas can be so much more disappointing. While there is still much to do on a wet windy day in the UK, if one was planning to lay on a beach somewhere for a fortnight the alternatives may not be so forthcoming or attractive. When we stay in the UK we always assume the weather will be awful and are usually pleasantly surprised when it isn't.

We are, however, looking forward (hopefully) to our first post Covid cruise in 2022, which will be Queen Victoria to...................

............ the British Isles.

With a nod and a ;) :)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:30
The beauty of this arrangement is in knowing the standard and quality of the properties we are going to which is consistently high....
I think we go to the same places!!!!! ;)
And very good they are too!! :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 12:04
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:30
I think we go to the same places!!!!! ;)
And very good they are too!! :thumbup:
We do. And they are. And very well managed in these difficult times.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

We were only talking about holiday costs earlier today. We had a short break booked down in Cornwall in March that we have just moved to September (hopefully!). The cost per night for the Cornwall beak for DB&B is about twice what we would pay on a P&O cruise

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We always find decent hotels - home and abroad - are far, far more expensive than cruises.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Hotels vs Cruises is a tricky one considering that balcony cabins on Adonia during the Getaway period were as cheap as chips. If we went to East Devon, say, then we may book a night or two in the Pig Hotel nr Honiton.

Other Hotels are of course available.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 24 Jan 2021, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 09:43
Hotels vs Cruises is a tricky one considering that balcony cabins on Adonia during the Getaway period were as cheap as chips. If we went to East Devon, say, then we may book a night or two in the Pig Hotel nr Honiton.

Other Hotels are of course available.

Looks nice.
I’m sure we’ve seen it before while we’ve been down that way. Maybe not for me, no white cloth on the dining tables which surprises me for such an establishment, unless of course the image shown was set up for breakfast.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Call me old fashioned if you like but I can't be doing with this minimalist fashion of no tablecloths, no carpet, no curtains and food served on a piece of roofing slate by some juvenile who is making a few extra spends but has had no training in waiting on. If I am paying good money for a meal in a hotel I expect better than that otherwise I get better at home.
There used to be a lovely old Cumbrian pub just outside Ambleside with a great deal of old rustic charm, a proper pub where you could get a good hearty Cumbrian meal beside a warm log fire. The last time we went it had been 'renovated'. All of the insides had been ripped out and all the usual modernistic apparel put in. We stayed for a drink and watched the meals coming out before we ordered but if you fancy paying through the nose to chase a little lump of pate around a pile of lettuce it wasn't for us. Clearly some people do like that sort of thing but I feel sorry that part of the rural heritage is being destroyed in favour of this sanitised vacuum which has little or no atmosphere. Pity.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Are you sure we're not related Foxy :D

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”