Cabin Reviews - Aurora

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Cabin Reviews - Aurora

Post by JenniC »

Following a suggestion from a member we have set up this thread for Cabin Reviews under each of the About "Ship" sections so please feel free to add your review.

To facilitate the search for a particular cabin it would be helpful when adding a review if you try and post in the standard format as recommended below. To assist you can copy and paste this format into your post and then complete as required. However, ALL reviews in whatever format are welcome :thumbup:

Cabin Number:
Overall Rating: 1* to 5*****
Cleanliness: 1* to 5*****
Furnishings: 1* to 5*****
Balcony: 1* to 5*****
Bathroom: 1* to 5*****
Stability: 1* to 5*****
Quiet Cabin?: 1* to 5*****
Comments:

If you have any pictures of the cabin you would like to share, please upload to the Gallery and post the link in your review.
Pictures regarding the obstructed cabins on all the ships can be located on here ...
https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet ... ted-views/

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Jenni

Dorsetcruiser
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Cabin Reviews - Aurora

Post by Dorsetcruiser »

L124
Overall rating 4
Cleanliness 4
Furnishings 3 - some furnishings tired
Balcony 3 - needs attention and new furniture
Bathroom 4
Location 5 - great location for Orangery, pools and sundeck and near to lift
Quiet cabin 4 - some noise when sunbeds put out in the morning and put away at night, but nothing too bothersome.

We loved this cabin once we had got used to the size (it is one of the narrowest balcony cabins we have had. The only real bugbear for us was the wardrobe and drawer space. It is very difficult to get to things hanging in the wardrobe without moving all of the other hangers. Drawer space was limited and the actual drawers quite small. Cabin was kept very well by our steward but cabin was a little dusty and smeared mirrors seemed to stay that way. We were on for 45 nights so perhaps we noticed it more than if we were only on for oneor two weeks.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

C286

Overall Rating: 4*
Cleanliness: 4*
Furnishings: 3* ... tired
Bathroom: 4*
Stability: 5*
Quiet Cabin?: 4* ... but see below

A ' large outside ' category cabin with extremely useful extra space which is utilised as a seating area, the overall storage for our cruise was totally sufficient.

Because it is ideal for extended family use it shares an inter connecting door with C290. In our case we were on our ownsome so the door was securely locked and was concealed-ish by a somewhat dated and ill fitting curtain ... also note that the cabin is not entirely soundproofed at this point.

This cabin is located towards the rear of the ship of the left hand side, it is convenient for sitting out on an aft tier and has good access to the lifts, stairs and a laundrette plus Cafe Bordeaux for breakfast and / or lunch. It's relative position is however over the Kid's Zone but thankfully it is directly above ' Toybox ' rather than ' Decibels '.

ps ... it was a World Sector Cruise in March 2012, Bangkok to Dubai, so not very many kids on board.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Cabin review

Post by MicheleW »

Cabin number: C242
Overall rating: 4
Cleanliness: 5
Our steward Daniel, kept the cabin immaculate and was extremely friendly, polite & courteous.
Furnishings: 5
We had the beds in a twin configuration which made the space between the dressing table and the nearest bed very tight to get to the balcony. In fact we moved the chair from the dressing table and pushed it against the settee with the coffee table – thus making it difficult to use the settee! (Luckily the weather was so warm; we sat outside on the balcony). As it was only a short cruise the wardrobe problem wasn’t an issue, but with more clothes, I could see it would be a problem to get to the furthest end of the wardrobe
Balcony: 4
As mentioned in a previous review, the balcony was extremely narrow – we were travelling with relatives in the next door cabin and so had the barrier between the balconies unlocked, but it still seemed very small.
Bathroom: 4
The bathroom was perfectly adequate with a half bath and shower over.
Location: 4 Being just 2 decks above the promenade deck, it was easy to whiz down the stairs to most of the major venues and up 3 flights to the Lido deck. We were midway between the aft and mid lifts/stairs so could use either, depending on where we headed.
Stability: 5
Quiet cabin: 4
We were unlucky as they decided to use the lifeboat directly below us as one of the tenders for St Peter Port, so we were awoken at 6.45am by the extremely loud noise of the boat being winched down to the sea. Just the luck of the draw – apart from that it was nice and quiet.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If anybody has any specific questions about mid-ship Suites on Aurora then please feel free to PM me.

Meanwhile ... ref B228

I agree that the balconies are very narrow and having two of them is all well and good but it's a bit of a squeeze getting from one side to the other when one of the cabin doors leading out is jammed. The balcony furniture is in a very poor state and the carpet is a tad worn near the right hand side door.

Having a Suite, other than a mini, was a first for us so apart from the minor points above it was an all round five star experience.

We even enjoyed having a Butler, thank you Anil for being gentlle with us ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Cabin Number: C154

Overall Rating: 4****
Cleanliness: 5*****
Furnishings: 4****
Balcony: 2**
Bathroom: 4****
Stability: 5*****
Quiet Cabin?: 5*****

Comments:

A standard balcony cabin but really well placed just aft of the forward stairway on the port side so a short walk and three flights down to the Meridian restaurant and just two flights to stagger back up to bed from the Curzon theatre ! Not too far from the Deck C Laundrette either if you want to catch up on the gossip !

As with all of Aurora's cabins, it is really well designed with loads of drawers and wardrobe space and a separate tea/coffee making area with fixed kettle base.

The furnishings are getting just a little tired now but this cabin was well maintained with a new lavatory seat and shower head in the bathroom and a really excellent cabin steward (Shelly) who cleaned it to within an inch of its life. I think she is a bit OCD on tidiness too, as our stash of pillow choccies was always neatly stacked !! It seems to have been vacuumed almost every day and no sign of the glasses and cups being swilled out in the sink !

Only real downside is the state of the balcony. The furniture is old and weathered, the pvc door surrounds are crumbling, the handrail is weathered and it looks like they have almost given up on trying to maintain it. Roll on the re-fit !

All in all, however, we would certainly go for this cabin again.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Cabin Number: A307
World Cruise 2015

Overall Rating: 5*****
Balcony: N/A

Comments: We had booked this cruise when it first went on sale and in fact we were on a cruise at the time and had left instructions with our travel agent. As per our instructions we asked for a Guarantee cabin of grade we want to pay for ( we do this for cruises whether it is select or otherwise), which for us was the lowest of the inside cabins. We have only ever been disappointed with 2 cabins we were given and on both occasions we were given a different cabin. I know some will disagree with that but these were really the worse kind and treating customers who have spent an awful lot of money on P&O one hopes that they would not try to palm you off with cabins they know that no one wants & P&O know that. Anyway, when we were given the cabin A307, I wasn't too sure as it was below what was the Pennant Grill. We were given once A276 which was right underneath what was the Orangery Buffet Restaurant and this was the noisiest cabin by far, noises from the buffet above it. So asked friends who were on Aurora in late 2014 to look into it. They assured us it was a good cabin, very quiet and had a perfect position for the aft deck area.
Without a shadow of a doubt this cabin is the best we have ever had and we soon learned that people especially ask for these cabins and those that are adjoined to it. No wonder. They are so much bigger than other inside cabins and these are one grade up from what we had paid. We also saw that cabin A297 was even bigger. In our cabin the floor space around the bed and as you walk in is a lot more as you don't have the narrow space that is the wall and the wardrobe opposite. The bed configuration is a double and because it is an L shape room you cannot have two single beds which we always ask to be put together.
As to the position of the ship it's by far the best, especially if you are like me, when I get my things together to go and sit on deck I invariably have forgotten something and generally my cabin is a long way away. Here, it is just a few steps away. In the evening it was like having your own balcony without paying the extra, we had on many occasions had drinks with friend or by ourselves watching the sunsets, perfect.
Being at the back meant that the lifts & staircase were the least used. Except when there was a Party in Carmen's.
99% of the time you wouldn't know if you were at the back, midships or at the front, the only time we really felt movement was when we sailed around the once in a lifetime Cyclone known as Cyclone Pam. Even then it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.

So I would say this cabin is perfect and that's saying something, we have stayed in cabins on all decks at the front, mid and aft except decks F & Lido.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Cabin Number: L130

Overall Rating: 4****
Balcony: 3**

Comments:

One of the few cabins on Lido Deck , nearer to the front but overall, a pretty good position.

Aurora has a bit of an unusual layout, where you cannot walk from front to back on Lido deck without going out, up, along and back down.
We didn't find this a problem but it took a bit of getting used to.

L130 was a standard balcony cabin and is pretty much like any other cabin we have stayed in.
No negatives whatsoever.

The balcony was on the small side but was fine to sit on for breakfast and a bit of lunch when we fancied it, and to sunbathe when the sun was in the right place.

I've given 5 for stability but to be fair, the sea was like a millpond, both there and back so it was difficult to judge under normal conditions.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

melsea wrote: 18 Jul 2015, 17:36
Cabin Number: A307
World Cruise 2015

Overall Rating: 5*****
Balcony: N/A

Comments: We had booked this cruise when it first went on sale and in fact we were on a cruise at the time and had left instructions with our travel agent. As per our instructions we asked for a Guarantee cabin of grade we want to pay for ( we do this for cruises whether it is select or otherwise), which for us was the lowest of the inside cabins. We have only ever been disappointed with 2 cabins we were given and on both occasions we were given a different cabin. I know some will disagree with that but these were really the worse kind and treating customers who have spent an awful lot of money on P&O one hopes that they would not try to palm you off with cabins they know that no one wants & P&O know that. Anyway, when we were given the cabin A307, I wasn't too sure as it was below what was the Pennant Grill. We were given once A276 which was right underneath what was the Orangery Buffet Restaurant and this was the noisiest cabin by far, noises from the buffet above it. So asked friends who were on Aurora in late 2014 to look into it. They assured us it was a good cabin, very quiet and had a perfect position for the aft deck area.
Without a shadow of a doubt this cabin is the best we have ever had and we soon learned that people especially ask for these cabins and those that are adjoined to it. No wonder. They are so much bigger than other inside cabins and these are one grade up from what we had paid. We also saw that cabin A297 was even bigger. In our cabin the floor space around the bed and as you walk in is a lot more as you don't have the narrow space that is the wall and the wardrobe opposite. The bed configuration is a double and because it is an L shape room you cannot have two single beds which we always ask to be put together.
As to the position of the ship it's by far the best, especially if you are like me, when I get my things together to go and sit on deck I invariably have forgotten something and generally my cabin is a long way away. Here, it is just a few steps away. In the evening it was like having your own balcony without paying the extra, we had on many occasions had drinks with friend or by ourselves watching the sunsets, perfect.
Being at the back meant that the lifts & staircase were the least used. Except when there was a Party in Carmen's.
99% of the time you wouldn't know if you were at the back, midships or at the front, the only time we really felt movement was when we sailed around the once in a lifetime Cyclone known as Cyclone Pam. Even then it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.

So I would say this cabin is perfect and that's saying something, we have stayed in cabins on all decks at the front, mid and aft except decks F & Lido.
Hi Melsea,

Do you by any chance have a photo of this cabin?

Looking to book Aurora for 2020 but didn’t Like the set up of the outside cabins so looking at the insides now. Had earmarked A297 then read your report.

Thanks Sue x

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Cabin Number: A287
Overall Rating: 4
Cleanliness: 5
Furnishings: 5
Balcony: 4
Bathroom: 5
Stability: 5
Quiet Cabin?: 4
Comments: We’ve given this cabin an overall rating of 4 for the following reasons:

1. We liked the location of this cabin as it is easy to access the buffet and the aft decks but it is directly opposite the door to the crew lifts and stairs. Early evening we noticed a cooking smell drifting into the cabin under the door from the crew area. We would book this grade of cabin again but we would choose one that is a couple of doors along the corridor in either direction to avoid the cooking smell.
2. This cabin is directly underneath the seating area in the buffet. This wasn’t a problem as the area is carpeted so there was hardly any noise apart from early evening. About 5pm we noticed some slight noise due to the Beach House being set up for the evening, it doesn’t last long but if you like to come back in and have a nap before going out for the evening it could be annoying.
3. As other people have said the balcony is small. There is only just room for two chairs and a small table/footstool.

Return to “About Aurora”