P and O pauses again

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

P and O pauses again

Post by Whynd1 »

I see P and O have extended its pause until 24th April.
I would have been affected as I had a cruise booked on Arcadia for early April to the Canaries.
Thought this may happen so moved it when the 2022 bookings opened.

Not a suprise.
Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: P and O pauses again

Post by david63 »

That's making our August cruise more unlikely. The balance will need to be paid before Arcadia sails so will have no idea what the cruise experience will be

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Our family Easter cruise is cancelled but truthfully we had decided we didn’t want to go so were going to move the booking anyway. Our August cruise is getting more and more unlikely :(
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

If cruise lines can’t source their vaccinations privately, cruising will be going nowhere.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Not going untill October, so hopefully things will be getting better by then.
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 12:19
If cruise lines can’t source their vaccinations privately, cruising will be going nowhere.
Why not, my mate Matty Hancock says by Easter things should be getting back to a more normal situation.
Of course all the anti vaxxers wont be able to go cruising, and if I have my way they will be rounded up into concentration camps, pending a referendum on what to do with them.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 14:55
pending a referendum
Surely you mean two referenda just to make sure everyone is happy with the result :sarcasm:

The only possible need that a cruise line would need to source vaccinations privately would be for the crew in the initial stages. After that standard rules apply to both passengers and crew (as they do now) - you need all relevant vaccinations to travel

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Why not, my mate Matty Hancock says by Easter things should be getting back to a more normal situation.
Of course all the anti vaxxers wont be able to go cruising, and if I have my way they will be rounded up into concentration camps, pending a referendum on what to do with them.
Hi Screwy…I can think of a few reasons… how sound they are is open to debate.

As far as I am aware the under 50ties will be way down the list for vaccinations, even further down the pecking order will be the under 30ties.

When one considers the age demographics of ship’s crew, most will be way down in list for their jabs. There is also the question of entitlement e.g. who pays for none UK citizens vaccinations?

Will the poorer countries have to wait longer for the vaccines? … this could impact on ships staffing?

Cruise lines won’t be able to rely on overseas waiters/crew until vaccination programs are in place in such countries.

The logistics of how cruise lines proceed from here is going interesting.

The best solution is to ship the slaves over in containers and give them a privately funded injection :thumbup: :shock:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 15:55
pending a referendum
Surely you mean two referenda just to make sure everyone is happy with the result :sarcasm:

The only possible need that a cruise line would need to source vaccinations privately would be for the crew in the initial stages. After that standard rules apply to both passengers and crew (as they do now) - you need all relevant vaccinations to travel
I believe you will also need a positive test certificate to board and that this will be paid for by the passenger(s).
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 09:37
I believe you will also need a positive test certificate to board and that this will be paid for by the passenger(s).
Why? It has been stated that vaccinations in the UK will be free and like most other vaccinations you get a certificate. Cannot see why this should be any different.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Onelife wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 00:37

As far as I am aware the under 50ties will be way down the list for vaccinations, even further down the pecking order will be the under 30ties.

When one considers the age demographics of ship’s crew, most will be way down in list for their jabs. There is also the question of entitlement e.g. who pays for none UK citizens vaccinations?

Will the poorer countries have to wait longer for the vaccines? … this could impact on ships staffing?

Cruise lines won’t be able to rely on overseas waiters/crew until vaccination programs are in place in such countries.

The best solution is to ship the slaves over in containers and give them a privately funded injection :thumbup: :shock:
Where did I come into this.??
Mel

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 10:08
Manoverboard wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 09:37
Why? It has been stated that vaccinations in the UK will be free and like most other vaccinations you get a certificate. Cannot see why this should be any different.
If one has had the jab it means that one will be protected from the danger of the virus. It does not mean that one cannot catch the virus nor does it mean that one cannot pass the virus on to another one. Hence the need for a positive test.

Am I wrong ?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Don't worry screwy, he's forgot to take his meds again :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 10:53
It does not mean that one cannot catch the virus nor does it mean that one cannot pass the virus on to another one
I think that the jury is still out on that and it varies with the different vaccines, but from what I have read and understand once you have been vaccinated and waited the appropriate time after vaccination for the vaccine to "kick in" then if you do contract the virus then it is unlikely that you can pass it on as the virus will have been "disabled"

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

david63 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:06
It does not mean that one cannot catch the virus nor does it mean that one cannot pass the virus on to another one
I think that the jury is still out on that and it varies with the different vaccines, but from what I have read and understand once you have been vaccinated and waited the appropriate time after vaccination for the vaccine to "kick in" then if you do contract the virus then it is unlikely that you can pass it on as the virus will have been "disabled"
The evidence so far also suggests if you do get it it is likely to be mild. To be honest that's pretty much the same as the flu jab because that's not 100%.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:19
much the same as the flu jab because that's not 100%.
I was surprised to read last week that the flu jab is only about 40% effective

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:47
I guess it still triggers T cells, which will clobber the virus even if the virus has mutated.
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

screwy wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 10:48
Onelife wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 00:37

Where did I come into this.??
Hi Screwy….my thinking was that if Towny wanted to dispute what I had written he could take it up with you :thumbup: :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:47
Yes I think you're right. They said the vaccines are all more effective than that.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:06
I do hope you are right but only time will tell of course but you are also suggesting that even if you are correct then one would need to isolate between the two jabs to prevent passing it on ... a test would surely still be required on a Cruise Line if not one's local pub ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 12:46
if you are correct then one would need to isolate between the two jabs to prevent passing it on
As the two jabs will be one month apart and the Covid restrictions will still be in place then nothing will change from what we are doing now, and nothing will change for some time after we have had the second jab.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think nothing will change until we see the impact of the jab on infection rates across the world as herd immunity builds up. That of course is why jabs less than 100% effective work. If the bloke next to you in supermarket has immunity he can't infect you even if you don't. That's the theory anyway. If the R rate is less than 1 the virus eventually dies out.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Moby, why do you think people would need to isolate between jabs? The vaccines do not contain live virus just DNA bits that will kick start your immune system to develop antibodies.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Last edited by Stephen on 25 Nov 2020, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 14:17
Moby, why do you think people would need to isolate between jabs? The vaccines do not contain live virus just DNA bits that will kick start your immune system to develop antibodies.
Probably because I don't know enough about it ... I would reason that one is still vulnerable to catching the virus between the two jabs, also that if it is still possible to catch it then it must still be possible to transmit it perhaps up to the point when the second jab has fully established.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”