Cruising to Restart

Topics that are specific to cruising

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Cruising to Restart

Post by Stephen »

In their own country would be a good starting point. But that doesn’t look likely.

Wether there is an updated version I don’t know.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/m ... ships.html
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Mar 2021, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:59
In their own country would be a good starting point. But that doesn’t look likely.

I don’t like anyone being seen to jump the queue but if cruising is ever going to set sail with a viable amount of passengers then some compromise is going to have to be made re; vaccinations of crew members I would have thought?

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

As long as you have been vaccinated then the crew don't have to be. Its unlikely you are going to get it, you've been vaccinated.

I wouldn't get on a cruise ship if I have to wear a mask anyway.
Up the Palace

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 12:59
Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:59

I don’t like anyone being seen to jump the queue but if cruising is ever going to set sail with a viable amount of passengers then some compromise is going to have to be made re; vaccinations of crew members I would have thought?
If queue jumping was approved then I wouldn't start with foreign nationals nor a USA Corporation.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It will be interesting to see how this goes. For the companies I guess almost any income is better then none. Of course some of their costs relate to actually moving with passengers, such as hotel type staff, food and fuel. But a lot is also fixed costs such as depreciation which is a big number. So these mini cruises, even if not making profits, will at least minimise losses and get some cash flow going.

For the passengers the on board experience will be much different from the norm but hopefully will still be a welcome break and change of scene after a year of nothing.

But not for us. We have Queen Victoria and Iona booked for 2022. We're happy to wait till then by which time restrictions will have eased and new procedures have been well tested. And good luck and happy sailing to those who do give it a go this year.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 10:37
It seems a strange decision. If passengers are expected to have been vaccinated I would have thought crews should be too.
If the crews are well tested and quarantined before joining the ship, and if the passengers have been vaccinated, then there should be few problems. These initial cruises dont have any stops so the crew are stuck on board, and todays covid press conference had statistics to show how the jabs significantly reduce transmission as well, so it should be fairly safe.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I was just looking at Stephens morning-all thread and his first offering was one of two people having arrived back from a cruise both having worn face masks for the duration.....quite funny but for fair skinned people a realistic possibility one would think?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We once went skiing and a fair-faced lady came back from a day on the slopes looking like a panda bear having worn ski goggles all day.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 19 Mar 2021, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 09:15
I was just looking at Stephens morning-all thread and his first offering was one of two people having arrived back from a cruise both having worn face masks for the duration.....quite funny but for fair skinned people a realistic possibility one would think?
I don't think so, most of the lines seem to be talking about possibly wearing masks indoors, during boarding, embarkation etc. but I doubt if they will be a necessity when sunbathing or even on open decks.

P&Os stated policy (which could change) is "It will be mandatory for all guests and crew to wear face masks in certain areas of the ship. All guests will need to comply with this face mask policy in order to travel."

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 09:26
I don't think so, most of the lines seem to be talking about possibly wearing masks indoors, during boarding, embarkation etc. but I doubt if they will be a necessity when sunbathing or even on open decks.

P&Os stated policy (which could change) is "It will be mandatory for all guests and crew to wear face masks in certain areas of the ship. All guests will need to comply with this face mask policy in order to travel."
Hi Ken…that probably will be the case but I was thinking more along the lines of excursion in destinations were the wearing of face masks outdoors might still be a requirement long after cruising resumes.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 11:06
Kendhni wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 09:26

Hi Ken…that probably will be the case but I was thinking more along the lines of excursion in destinations were the wearing of face masks outdoors might still be a requirement long after cruising resumes.
Would that not depend on the destination being visited? The number of countries that require masks to be worn in the open are limited, most only requiring masks indoors - so possibly a mask may be required on the bus, but could be removed at the stops??? I guess we will have to wait and see?

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”