Dining on Britannia

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dining on Britannia

Post by david63 »

We have a cruise booked for May on Britannia (still not 100% sure if we will be going - but that is another story)

This morning I received an email from P&O about dining - we have requested second sitting club dining. The email says
We've new health protocols in place to protect the well-being of everyone on board and things will look and feel a little different. You will just need to pre book a table in the restaurants or join a virtual queue while we prepare your table. This will also apply to the buffets and deck grills which will now be served by our team. You can dine with guests travelling in other cabins if you wish to but please note, shared tables will only be available when requested, otherwise you will have a table to yourself. We will also have an additional early sitting, please look out for further information around your dining preferences. But rest assured, the quality of P&O Cruises dining remains the same.
So does this mean that everything is effectively Freedom dining or that you have to book a table every night for Club dining and if so does it mean that you can swap sittings each night? Or does it mean that there will be three sittings for everyone and again you choose on a nightly basis which one you want?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Dining on Britannia

Post by Stephen »

It reads to me like you have to pre book each evening which defeats the object of club dining if that is included in the new rules. But hey ho, perhaps a call to P&O or travel agent will clarify things.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:40
perhaps a call to P&O
I have already emailed them - might get a response two weeks after we return saying they don't know :moresarcasm:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I'm fairly sure that a couple in the village did a cruise on her recently, will ask and report back.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:47
I'm fairly sure that a couple in the village did a cruise on her recently, will ask and report back.
Thanks, the only thing is that "protocols" may have changed!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:46
Stephen wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:40
perhaps a call to P&O
I have already emailed them - might get a response two weeks after we return saying they don't know :moresarcasm:
Sounds about right :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:51
Shall I tell them not to bother replying then :lol:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 14:08
Shall I tell them not to bother replying then
I would be interested to know what the situation was when they were onboard

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 14:08
david63 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:51

Shall I tell them not to bother replying then :lol:
:lol: :clap:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:29
This morning I received an email from P&O about dining ... So does this mean ?
Feedback from friendly villager ...

" As a heads up, using the new P&O app you can remotely join a queue for a restaurant (any of them) and in our experience the FOC restaurants were pretty well pitch up and eat in any case. There was very little queuing at all.

Horizon was open as usual and until late.

Masks were in use inside and in restaurants and bars when not seated. Optional outside (although lots of people used them on deck).

We requested and sat at tables for two ONLY due Covid, although other people seemed to be happy to join a larger table (we were not). Ditto Horizon, we sat alone - although mostly we ate outside as a matter of preference when using Horizon.

There was NO table allocation - as previously - ie "...you're on table 101 for the cruise...... " (and therefore compelled to sit with others) - that's gone.

There were only 2,400 pax on board (rather than 3650) with quarantine areas/cabins of the ship blocked off (but later opened as no cases occurred on our cruise).

There were anti-bacterial dispensers all over the place and pax were encouraged to avoid using the lifts if at all possible or take an empty one. However, something empty on deck 16 may not be by deck 7!

All staff wore masks at all times when dealing with pax. "

:wave:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Manoverboard wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 09:16
david63 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:29
This morning I received an email from P&O about dining ... So does this mean ?
Feedback from friendly villager ...
Was the above info of any value David ?

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 08:33
Was the above info of any value David ?
Not sure until I get a response from P&O.

This comment would imply that they were on Freedom Dining
Manoverboard wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 09:16
using the new P&O app you can remotely join a queue for a restaurant (any of them)
or that there was only Freedom Dining when they were on whereas we requested Club Dining and the email from P&O implies that there are three sittings for Club Dining.

So I am still "confused dot com" :?

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We’ve just come back and you have to book all meals including breakfast on the app - we found the Epicurean and Sindhu got booked up very quickly so if you want a certain night I suggest you book before you’ve unpacked your cases!!! Things of course may change ….

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 16:46
We’ve just come back and you have to book all meals including breakfast on the app - we found the Epicurean and Sindhu got booked up very quickly so if you want a certain night I suggest you book before you’ve unpacked your cases!!! Things of course may change ….
That is very interesting Lady P. May I ask if the Retreat was available for your cruise and if so were there any restrictions?
I have used it extensively since it was introduced on Azura but am unable to see any up to date comments regarding it since cruising resumed.

Many thanks

Maureen

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

I don’t believe it was - but we are going again in a couple of weeks so I will update you - my only little niggle with the app system was it was sometimes a choice of dinner at your preferred time or a show if there was a conflict . It was sometimes difficult to get a table 630 ish - just our experience, others may have been luckier

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Just had a reply from P&O about this
Thank you for your email. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in our reply.

You have requested 2nd sitting at 8.30pm for your booking. We will reserve a table for you at the same time each evening with the same waiters and fellow diners for the duration of your cruise. You will not be required to book your table.

Should you wish to dine in one of our alternative restaurants we would recommend that you book in advance.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I bet you'll be the one ( two ) who arrive at 20:30 and the Maître D will be saying " Now, tell me once again, please. Who did you say you were ? " :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

He’ll just say ‘Management’ :)

Return to “About Britannia”