Fingers crossed
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura Caribbean to Malta

Post by Ray B »

After not docking at Livorno, it was so different when leaving the ship in Civitavecchia. There were no officials at all, straight on the busses and away. The docks are massive, and an interesting drive to the gates and on to the motorway to Rome.
Arriving in Rome to join the jam packed roads, it was amazing the number of cars, both moving and parked.
Leaving the bus and the guide giving us a few pointers, our first stop was a coffee, while we decided our plan of attack for our first visit to Rome.
Just up the hill from the cafe, we come to the Victor Emanuel 11 National Monument. Very impressive building with a guard next to the eternal flame for the fallen. All around and on the roof top were massive statues, horses, angels and warriors.
A short walk through he busy streets we arrive at the Pantheon. Tucked away in a square you could easily walk down a road and miss it. We did. We soon found ourselves in the square which was humming with all the tourists. Given its age you can forgive its dull appearance as you admire the work that the Roman's put in to this building.
And so on we go, making our way from the Pantheon to the monument that Sarah really wanted to visit. Having seen the film at a tender age, she had always wanted to sit on the edge and throw a coin over her shoulder into that fountain. And there it was, gleaming white marble, statues and the fountain, the Trevi Fountain.
One thing, other the the beauty of the fountain, that impressed me was the amount of tourists, and having had a photo taken by the pool, vacated the spot to allow others to do the same.
Sarah took her place with her back to the fountain and duly threw the coin over her shoulder, video and photos taken we withdrew. Later to find out it was a one euro coin !!!!
Time for lunch.
We stopped at the Trevi Cafe just on the corner of the square. I had a Vongle and a beer while Sarah had the Cabenara and soft drink.
After a nice lunch and with the time running out, we had one more monument to go to before our departure at 1530.
We headed back to the National monument turned left for the short walk to the Colosseum. Lots to look at on the way. Arriving at the Colosseum we did not have much time left, just enough to take it all in snap and off a few photos. Then with 5 minutes to spare, on the bus back to the ship.
So that was Rome in a day, or part of.
A beautiful city to visit, the sun shone all day. If you have a step counter, we did 14000+ steps.
Queues to go inside the monuments were very long and you would need to book, but that's for another day.
Next day was a sea day to recover.
Last night it was the Epicurean restaurant as the menu changed. Sarah had the tiger prawns, the were more like small lobsters. The Iberico pata negra Jamon Serrano Ham is now served already carved and the
Crepes Suzette come served also.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Today is Malta.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Back in Valletta for change over day and then a glorious sunny sea day before our call to Split.
One nice thing was that Sindu are doing a small plates lunch again. Three plates for £5.95. We shared all six plates between us and they were delicious.
The Captain announced that face masks are now discretionary whilst walking inside the ship.
A very few have so far taken up this option, to soon to relax the rule? time will tell.
Our call at Split was enjoyable, took lunch in a big square from which you could just see the ship. A charming visit with a lot of work near the port area to spruce parts up. Interestingly brand new seats of solar panels were you can charge your mobile while having a rest.
Next port Trieste.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

If I remember correctly it was a tender into Split when we visited many years ago, and a choppy one at that

A step in the right direction regarding face masks Ray.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

our first time in Split was tender - and choppy - so I didn't go. Next time we docked
Last edited by Meg 50 on 10 Apr 2022, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
x

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

On this week's ports should all be dock side.

Trieste, very enjoyable, but again had to drag Mrs B up to the castle. Tried to find a gentle way up, but in the end a short cut means more steps!!.
Had a rest from the noise down below with cocktails on the balcony to watch the sun go down. Very peaceful and as it was a 9.45pm departure no breeze.
Today it is Zadar. Only took in the Roman forum and the Sea Organ. The promenade from the Greetings to the sun is a pleasant walk, and will look nice when the extention works are complete.
So we arrive at our last port tomorrow, Dubrovnik.
First though, tonight is our last 'posh night'
Don't worry, be happy

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Loved Zadar it was very interesting.

Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Dubrovnik is good as well.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Made me walk the walls ... but we did need local money at that time.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

So did we Moby. Couldn’t have picked a hotter day as well. The fountain and ice cream shop in the main square was getting well used that day.

Best done in the morning and as early as possible.

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Done the walls a couple of calls before, so not this time
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

And so our last port of call, Dubrovnik. A wonderful port we have been to many times, so as we come to the end of our holiday we had a walk and coffee by the harbor, and being the ever so romantic, treated Mrs B to lunching at the Michelin restaurant Proto. Two and a half hour lunch which was absolutely devine.
And now back to the ship, tomorrow at sea, then home.
Just a note. Dubrovnik normally is very crowded , but as it is early in the season and covid holding many from booking holidays, it was extremely quiet. It made for a more pleasant visit.
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Buying lunch out when there's a free sarnie on board. Are you mad as well as romantic?
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 14 Apr 2022, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 14:42
Buying lunch out when there's a free sarnie on board. Are you mad as well as romantic?
Don’t joke about it Merv !

I’ve got a mate who cruised a lot who wouldn’t dream of spending money ashore.
They would go off, then go back for lunch, then go off again.
When I asked why they didn’t just have a quick bite in town, he looked at me like I was bonkers.
Mind you he also thought Mrs B was bonkers for buying Costa coffee on board when it’s free in the buffet .
The fact that it tastes better was lost on him.
Their on board spend is virtually nothing.
Blow that, we have what we want, when we want it. 😁
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes quite so. We rarely buy lunch ashore but mainly because we're still stuffed from breakfast. But often have a drink or coffee or snack as we people watch.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We also prefer to buy our coffee ashore, most Med cafes do far better coffee than Costa, in facr to me there is little to choose between the Costa and the buffet coffee, neither are particularly good, although I do have the occasional latte in the glass house
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

When in Norway barney, I'm with your mate, otherwise like Merv it's a coffee or beer while abusing their internet connection :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We always used to grab a bite or lunch ashore but on one's one and only Celebrity cruise we ate in a place that they had recommended on Santorini ... two of us went down with a rampant tummy bug which lasted non stop, and I do mean non stop, for 18 days. Getting home via Gatwick was bad enough but doing so to Toronto was a real trial.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 14 Apr 2022, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Ray B wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 13:47
And so our last port of call, Dubrovnik. A wonderful port we have been to many times ...
If you go again consider a return boat trip to Cavtat :thumbup:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 15:49
We always used to grab a bite or lunch ashore but on one's one and only Celebrity cruise we ate in a place that they had recommended on Santorini ... two of us went down with a rampant tummy bug which lasted non stop, and I do mean non stop, for 18 days. Getting home via Gatwick was bad enough but doing so to Toronto was a real trial.
I had a similar thing many years ago in Kenya, luckily only for a few days, and it all started the day before we came home of all days. I felt like death at the airport. In fact death would have been a blessing.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 15:23
When in Norway barney, I'm with your mate, otherwise like Merv it's a coffee or beer while abusing their internet connection :thumbup:
Or buying a beer for your bestie....

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 16:45
Stephen wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 15:23
Or buying a beer for your bestie....
You caught me on an a off day that day. I'm must have had a bit too much sun.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

To be fair you were sharp enough to leave your wallet on the ship. If I recall it was Mrs S who got her purse out while I struggled to find mine.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 16:57
To be fair you were sharp enough to leave your wallet on the ship. If I recall it was Mrs S who got her purse out while I struggled to find mine.
Yes I did notice. The only person I know to make out they're doing their shoe laces up when they have slip on's on when it's their round :D

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”