Post by screwy »

You know me, an all round good egg, share and share alike.😂
Mel

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Vaccinations and testing

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Anyone used Randox for their cruises from Southampton?
Have read that some people, mainly Americans, that you cannot use this type of test as it is not monitored
If you have used this service for a cruise already did you find any problems.

Thanks

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

OCEANIAFAN wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 15:23
Anyone used Randox for their cruises from Southampton?
Have read that some people, mainly Americans, that you cannot use this type of test as it is not monitored
If you have used this service for a cruise already did you find any problems.

Thanks
My granddaughter is on Iona at the moment and used the Randox test - she said it was straightforward to use and accepted by P&O.
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I'm hoping I might be able to get a fourth jab at a local walk in centre this weekend with my vulnerable hat on.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I have brought four Randox kits (just to be on the safe side) for our cruise next month. Considering this company are on the P&O recommended list I’m not expecting any issues.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-c ... -you-board

https://covid.randox.com/

All seems pretty straight forward use wise to me.
Last edited by Stephen on 22 Jun 2022, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

When we had our 4th jab the Mrs Lady said it was a walk-in service, no need for invites etc.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Stephen wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 16:01
I have brought four Randox kits (just to be on the safe side) for our cruise next month. Considering this company are on the P&O recommended list I’m not expecting any issues.
I got my Randox tests last week so I prepared the app ready for when we need it. I also had a little bit of a dummy run and had not gone far when I was asked to enter the order number. I searched my emails, spam box, deleted items , inbox and found I did not have an invoice from them. I had a PayPal invoice but nothing with an invoice number on it. I rang Ireland, spoke to a pleasant young lady who said she would send me an invoice. She said "This happens sometimes".
Thank goodness I did that trial run and did not leave it until the morning of departure otherwise we would have been in a right pickle. Even getting through to Randox meant navigating their multiplicity of options and a five minute wait before the call was answered.
I am now hoping there will be no more little surprises when it comes to testing and submitting the results.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Yes, same here Foxy.

I only found out from a friend that you need to keep the order form confirmation for the order number. Luckily I still had mine.

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Stephen wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 16:01

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-c ... -you-board

https://covid.randox.com/

All seems pretty straight forward use wise to me.
Many thanks for the info

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Now i know that all of us on here are really smart and switched on.! Well goes without saying that you could count me out!
When we arrived at City Terminal we were asked to show our proof of Vaccination, well we got our phones out and opened the NHS App, I know what your thinking...Stupid boy.! Correct. The Bloody app would not open on my phone, we hadnt saved it to a wallet.! a Wallet.? Does this face look like someone who knows what a wallet is on a phone.!!
To cut a long story short, we were 10 minutes from being refused boarding when a young man took my phone and somehow linked it to his ( hot spot ) Que !! anyhow it worked and on we got with seconds to spare.

To anyone else , dont be a d**k like me, be prepared, wallets, written copies etc.

The thing is, apparrently its not just me so why cant the port authoroty have a couple of Hot spots that Dimbos like me can access. would it be too difficult.?

As the saying goes...p*ss poor planning leads to p*ss poor perforfance.

And yes, i now have it saved to a wallet and have sent for updated paper versions...no flies on this Kid. just the marks where theyve been.
Mel

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm not particularly tech minded, I didn't know you could save documents to your wallet on your phone I thought that was for cards etc.

You live and learn.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

OCEANIAFAN wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 15:23
Some cruise lines require an observed test - P&O do not.
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 15:58
I'm hoping I might be able to get a fourth jab at a local walk in centre this weekend with my vulnerable hat on.
Out of the blue I was "invited" to have the Spring booster last week. Talking to the "jabber" at the walk in centre they will only jab those who have been invited - but other centres may differ.

As for using the tech for proof of everything I decided that it was going to be far easier to have paper copies of everything - so I had a set of papers for me and another set for Mrs63. The guys doing the checking seemed quite pleased that everything was together and we were through in a couple of minutes.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

According to the website I ought to have been invited by now but it's only 10 mins from home if they tell me to bugger off !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I know where your coming from screwy. You can guarantee if it’s going to go wrong at the crucial moment it will, which is why, if possible, I print everything off.
Last edited by Stephen on 23 Jun 2022, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Still bug free, or we seem to be. Mask wearing is being observed by about 50%.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 07:18

I know where your coming from screwy. You can guarantee if it’s going to go wrong at the crucial moment it will, which is why, if possible, I print everything off.
Same here.
Printed copies of everything all in one folder.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 08:23
Still bug free, or we seem to be. Mask wearing is being observed by about 50%.

Good to hear John. Better safe, or as safe as you can be, than sorry. :thumbup:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

In my area there seems to be two different ways and places for getting the booster jab. I had an invitation both from NHS and from my local surgery to have the booster. I went for the one through my surgery which meant it was at a local Community Hub about 10 minutes from home. If I'd accepted the NHS invitation it would have been at a centre somewhere in Portsmouth or Southampton. Our local Community Hub was only giving jabs to those specifically invited at a stated time. The larger walk in centres didn't require an appointment. I don't know if it's the same in all areas.

Carole

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We were invited to have our booster jabs so I made enquiries at our local surgery. They had nothing planned at that time but they suggested we went to a couple of walk-in centres close by.
When we got to the first one it was clearly closed and not likely to open so we went to the second which was not walk-in anyway but they had a couple of no-shows so we got our boosters.
The information we had been given was clearly very hit and miss. We are fortunate in being mobile and having a car but what about those who are not as fortunate who would have been led on an expensive and time consuming wild goose chase.
I must say I was not impressed with the information we had been given.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 12:04
They had nothing planned at that time but they suggested we went to a couple of walk-in centres close by.
Did you check online before you went? One of the walk in centres near us only opens on a Friday at the moment - no doubt will open more come the next round of boosters.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

No, we were told they were walk-ins so we didn't need appointments.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 12:57
No, we were told they were walk-ins so we didn't need appointments.
You don't but they give the details of when they are open, and more importantly, which vaccines they currently have available.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We were given no details at all, simply told they were currently doing walk-ins.
I think it was left to us to discover we needed an appointment in which case why could we not have made an appointment with our own practice?
In the past we have had vaccinations on a walk-in basis over in Cockermouth provided by the town pharmacy in a neighbouring pub and you literally walked off the street, registered your details, had your jab and walked out again. It was all very quick and very efficient.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

screwy wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:14
For what it’s worth.

We came back from Ventura on Saturday,same as Sue Kersh, woke up Monday morning,banging headache,sore throat,rasping cough.Just tested positive. 🤬
Sorry to hear that. Hope you aren't feeling too ill and that you make a good recovery.
Gill

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Cheers Gill. I’ll be be glad when the throat gets better,I won’t mind the coughing as much then. All being well it won’t last too long,ice cream and lollies help.😋
Mel

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”