Vaccinations and testing

Topics that are specific to cruising

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Vaccinations and testing

Post by Manoverboard »

Cunard had high levels of Covid during a recent Alaska Cruise on Queen Elizabeth, chums tested +ve
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Just received this email from P&O.

Dear Mrs Rosser,
We can’t wait to welcome you on board for your upcoming holiday.

As the health protocols for COVID-19 continue to evolve across the world, we’ve got an update on our pre-cruise testing requirements to share with you.

All guests aged five years and over must take a COVID‑19 lateral flow/antigen test and receive a negative result within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. You’ll no longer need to provide a test certificate but will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, for you and each member of your travel party as part of your pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal.

All unvaccinated guests aged five to 11 years will no longer be required to take a second lateral flow/antigen test upon arrival at Southampton cruise terminal.

Guests aged four years and under remain exempt from pre-travel testing requirements.

We still require all guests aged 12 years and over to be fully vaccinated with a recognised COVID-19 vaccine a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. Please see our vaccination policy for full details.

Before you travel, we ask that you visit our website to see the very latest well-being measures and requirements you can expect before and during your cruise. These protocols continue to be subject to change, and may do so prior to your sailing, as we work with our experts and with government bodies across all destinations we visit to ensure all of our practices are in line with latest advice Dear Mrs Rosser,
We can’t wait to welcome you on board for your upcoming holiday.

As the health protocols for COVID-19 continue to evolve across the world, we’ve got an update on our pre-cruise testing requirements to share with you.

All guests aged five years and over must take a COVID‑19 lateral flow/antigen test and receive a negative result within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. You’ll no longer need to provide a test certificate but will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, for you and each member of your travel party as part of your pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal.

All unvaccinated guests aged five to 11 years will no longer be required to take a second lateral flow/antigen test upon arrival at Southampton cruise terminal.

Guests aged four years and under remain exempt from pre-travel testing requirements.

We still require all guests aged 12 years and over to be fully vaccinated with a recognised COVID-19 vaccine a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. Please see our vaccination policy for full details.

Before you travel, we ask that you visit our website to see the very latest well-being measures and requirements you can expect before and during your cruise. These protocols continue to be subject to change, and may do so prior to your sailing, as we work with our experts and with government bodies across all destinations we visit to ensure all of our practices are in line with latest advice.

Bit annoyed as I’ve already sent and paid for Randox tests. I think they are being extremely naive and trusting.
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

That occurred to me as well Jan. Since we already have our tests we will take them two days prior to embarkation and print off the results but I wonder how honest everybody will be. :o

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

My thoughts too Jan.!

So the question at Southampton is..” Have you taken a test 2 days ago and was it negative.?” Reply..” Yes and Yes “

A bit like Mervs theory of just waving the stick in the air.!
Mel

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

oldbluefox wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 10:59
That occurred to me as well Jan. Since we already have our tests we will take them two days prior to embarkation and print off the results but I wonder how honest everybody will be. :o
I feel the same - I’ll do the test and get it certified as it’s already paid for. Luckily for my son and family they hadn’t yet sent for theirs so will now use the tests they have been given by their school.
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

screwy wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 11:01
My thoughts too Jan.!

So the question at Southampton is..” Have you taken a test 2 days ago and was it negative.?” Reply..” Yes and Yes “

A bit like Mervs theory of just waving the stick in the air.!
Absolutely - but cheaper!

As we are going on Iona actually I feel slightly relieved as they have been trialling the no test at all protocol. To require a test and ask a question is at least one better than that. And given the ease of cheating an unsupervised test I'm not sure this is any worse. Yes some people will cheat, but since it can now be over the counter tests at a cost of around £2 (or in the case of some people, such as me, free) I hope most will play the game fairly. It is my intention to take and photograph all the tests anyway.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It'll be as honest as the Noro Questionnaire .... sad but true, or so I believe
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Had an email from P&O this morning stating the following. I'll still be printing of the negative result certificate (hopefully) as back up.
Last edited by Stephen on 20 Jul 2022, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Stephen wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:09
Had an email from P&O this morning stating the following. I'll still be printing of the negative result certificate (hopefully) as back up.
If you can email me a copy of your certificate I'll return my unused tests!!

The 48 hour window makes a big difference to us and takes pressure off needing to test on the day we are heading off south. I also will be printing off the resultant test certificate.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Also had the same email. I am not quite sure how to take that para.
Is that saying all you have to do is say you have done a test and got a negative result .. whether or not you have?
Will my substantial supply of NHS kits be adequate?

They seem a lot more trusting of the general public than I do.
Last edited by Kendhni on 20 Jul 2022, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:34
Apparently not - but who will ever know?

I suspect part of this change is due to the fact that some of the "certified" tests are winding down.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It is a bit confusing.

So to clarify. We board on Sunday so I could take the test as soon as Friday and no proof of testing is now required.

No problem sending you my test certificate (neg/pos) Foxy providing you send me £100 first. Can’t say fairer than that :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 20 Jul 2022, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

david63 wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:46
Kendhni wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:34
Apparently not - but who will ever know?

I suspect part of this change is due to the fact that some of the "certified" tests are winding down.
Is it size the Kendhni’s supply or the kits themselves that you feel would be inadequate? An honest question. I was going to use our NHS kits which I realise state ‘not for travel’ but was that not more to do with certification? I guess you could even upload negative your test to the NHS COVID app if you wished. P&O’s e-mail states a negative LFT but doesn’t specify the source- or have I missed something?
Last edited by Ranchi on 20 Jul 2022, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Hi Ranchi, my reading of it is that the less scrupulous will simply tick the box to say they have passed a test whether or not they have, or have even done a test.

If they look for evidence then the NHS test would not be acceptable, however one of the non-NHS paid for tests (which are basically the same) would be acceptable. But P&O now seem to be saying they do not need any evidence of having passed a test, just your word.

From my point-of-view I believe I can meet P&Os requirements using one of the many NHS tests I have in the house.
Last edited by Kendhni on 20 Jul 2022, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The way I look at it, I have the kits so might as well use them and get a certificate.

Belt and braces.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Kendhni wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 14:10
Hi Ranchi, my reading of it is that the less scrupulous will simply tick the box to say they have passed a test whether or not they have, or have even done a test.

If they look for evidence then the NHS test would not be acceptable, however one of the non-NHS paid for tests (which are basically the same) would be acceptable. But P&O now seem to be saying they do not need any evidence of having passed a test, just your word.

From my point-of-view I believe I can meet P&Os requirements using one of the many NHS tests I have in the house.
I agree. That's my understanding too. They specifically say no certificate is required and on the website say that "over the counter" tests are acceptable. So we will use our stock of NHS kits, which I can still get due to a vulnerability. If they ask and I say it was one I bought in Boots who is to know otherwise? And that is still several degrees more honest than those who, you rightly say, will tick the boxes without doing a test at all.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

If no actual proof is required for covid or noro virus at the port, only the passengers honesty, it seems a pointless exercise.
No matter how much a responsible passenger tests, you are at the mercy of the 'why should I bother' passengers that don't, who in the past lies about not feeling sick leading up to the cruise.
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Maybe I am more trusting than you cynics, but I would expect there will be no more cheating with this system that the old one. I think the vast majority of people are basically honest.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It's not the honest ones I worry about.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You may be right in that this new system is cheaper and easier to conform to so there is less incentive to cheat. Nonetheless, it only needs one.....

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'll be happy once on board.

If I/we succumb to Covid, and fingers crossed we don't, I can think of worse places to be confined. A nice spacious balcony cabin with stunning Norwegian views and waited on hand and foot.

But let's not go there, hopefully.
Last edited by Stephen on 20 Jul 2022, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Does anyone know if they are still sealing off the rear of the ships for COVID isolation, or has that been stopped as well?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 17:07
Does anyone know if they are still sealing off the rear of the ships for COVID isolation, or has that been stopped as well?
There were still quarantine zones in June when we sailed, but reports seems to be saying that now they will most likely follow the norovirus procedure and quarantine passengers in their own cabin along as it's a balcony cabin, with reduced separate quarantine zones.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We don’t sail again until January so expect many more changes before then.
It does seem weird that fly cruise passengers needed a negative confirmation to sail but not to fly to the ship ???
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just spoken to P&O for 100% clarification.

Test can now be taken two days in advance of boarding
Can use either NHS of purchased lateral flow/antigen test kit
No proof of testing required at port

Which what Ray mentioned, makes it a pointless exercise really.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”