Smurfie's Return to Cruising

Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smurfie's Return to Cruising

Post by david63 »

This is a back-to-back cruise, firstly to the Baltic, which we have not visited for about 12 years, and then down to the Med on Britannia, a ship that we have not sailed on before – also our first B2B.

Like most cruises these days these are cruises transferred from previous cancelled cruises (can’t remember which as there have been so many!). We booked this way back in November 2020 fully expecting at the time that cruising would be back to normal by now! How wrong that has turned out to be. Six months ago we were on the verge of cancelling these two cruises due to me possibly being in need of medical attention which I did not want to happen in a foreign country – but that all went away after my operation in October.

Up until the point of paying the balance we were sceptical about what the cruising experience would be like but eventually decided we would go with it and hope for the best little realising at that time what would be happening in the world a few weeks later.

As I said before the first part of this cruise is to the Baltic and thanks to that nice Mr Putin our itinerary has been changed from when we booked. We are not overly bothered by this as last time we were on a Baltic cruise we had a two-day private tour of St Petersburg seeing all the main sites, and a few of the lesser sites, so we were not planning on doing very much there anyway and as you cannot get off unless on a tour, or have a full Russian visa, it has turned out to be a better itinerary for us.

On the run up to this cruise P&O started to “move the goalposts” in respect of Covid testing – now having to get your own done as opposed to having the test at the terminal. After weighing up the options we decided that we would have the antigen “fit to fly” tests done at our local Lloyds pharmacy on the morning of the day before the cruise, as we would not be travelling down until the afternoon. As a “belt and braces” backup in case the pharmacy were unable to do the tests we also ordered some home test kits (small price to pay for peace of mind). Not sure at the moment what the procedure will be for testing, if any, between the two cruises – but will deal with that when the time comes.

Sunday 24th April
True to their word the online check-in, e-tickets and luggage labels were available at exactly three weeks prior to the cruise. I have to say that the online check-in was easy enough to complete, the most difficult part was getting photos to upload, and once completed then our boarding passes were available to be printed off – I made the decision to print all paperwork off as it will be quicker and easier that way once at the port (the only problem being that you need a small rainforest!). No doubt there will be the usual culprits who will not have everything or will be faffing around trying to find it on their phones and holding up the entire process for everyone else – especially me.

Being of an “upper” class (Caribbean) we have an arrival time at the terminal of 12:00 – be interesting to see how it all works.

Sunday 1st May
Again, true to their word the entertainment and select dining venues are available to book – the downside (and there is always a downside with P&O) is that there is only the first week’s shows available to book (select restaurants can be booked for both weeks!), so will leave it for another week before doing anything. At least we now know what shows/acts will be on board before we sail – although there are no details of guest speakers – why cannot P&O be like Princess and list who the speakers will be on each cruise months in advance? (Princess speakers are more well known than any I have ever seen on P&O!)

Monday 9th May
On line check in available for the B2B cruise – don’t know if this needs to be done but did it anyway just to be on the safe side – should have been available yesterday but that part of P&O’s site was down for maintenance all day!

My theory about more entertainment being available this week did not work – nothing more than was available for the first week and the Limelight Club (Gareth Gates) is fully booked – as are Epicurean and Sindhu for sea days on the second week.

Tuesday 10th May
Today the Baggage Handling Company came to take most of our luggage – so just hope that Covid does not prevent us from going.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Smurfie's Return to Cruising

Post by Kendhni »

Have a great trip.
I agree with you about knowing who the speakers and entertainers are in advance. In March we only knew a couple of the entertainers that could be booked a few weeks before the cruise, but once on board the show for one had been cancelled and it really was a case of having to wait for the Horizon to tell us what was on. I had put part of this down to COVID and hope that they will be better organised come September.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Have a great time David.

Britannia will keep you fit that's for sure. :thumbup:

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Bon Voyage David. Take care of Britannia please, I shall be joining her, with two friends, on the second leg of your BtoB B214

Maureen

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Can you both please ensure you leave her in good shape on 12th June when we join her for our first post covid cruise.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Bon Voyage Boss ... don't worry about us we'll all be ok while you're enjoying yourselves :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Have a great trip. Look forward to hear what the return to cruising is like.

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I'll be interested to hear how the testing goes. We too had considered the Lloyd's option but since our local branches are often closed at zero notice because they don't have a pharmacist available i think we'll be doing the DIY on line option in August.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 11 May 2022, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Have a good cruise hope we get some reports along the way.

Lindsey

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

Bon voyage. Have a wonderful cruise.
Up the Palace

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Have a great time 🍹🍽

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Enjoy it! We are miserable ‘we love smaller Ships’ cruisers but we were pretty impressed with Britannia. It felt like a Tardis in reverse.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 11th May
Downloaded and printed of Covid Vaccination passes for both of us.

For some inexplicable reason bookings for the second week in the Limelight Club appeared this evening along with some more availability for the first week – it appears that the availability is released in stages. The second week in the Limelight Club is Ray Quinn.

Thursday 12th May
Completed “Health Declaration” forms, and printed off the emails – another addition to the rainforest. In typical P&O style they have misused the English language on the Health Declaration form – it says “… have you and anyone else …” which if read literally would mean that everyone in your party would, as an example, have had to have tested positive, whereas what they actually mean is “… have you or anyone else …”.

Only one last step to overcome now and that is testing on Saturday morning.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

david63 wrote: 12 May 2022, 08:36
Wednesday 11th May
Downloaded and printed of Covid Vaccination passes for both of us.

For some inexplicable reason bookings for the second week in the Limelight Club appeared this evening along with some more availability for the first week – it appears that the availability is released in stages. The second week in the Limelight Club is Ray Quinn.

Thursday 12th May
Completed “Health Declaration” forms, and printed off the emails – another addition to the rainforest. In typical P&O style they have misused the English language on the Health Declaration form – it says “… have you and anyone else …” which if read literally would mean that everyone in your party would, as an example, have had to have tested positive, whereas what they actually mean is “… have you or anyone else …”.

Only one last step to overcome now and that is testing on Saturday morning.
Despite filling in health forms online we still had to fill them in again on an iPad at the terminal- no explanation given :crazy:
Janis

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 12 May 2022, 09:04
Despite filling in health forms online we still had to fill them in again on an iPad at the terminal- no explanation given
In fairness all the pre cruise emails do say that you have to re do the health declaration at the terminal.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I sort of understand it at the terminal. I'm assuming they need to make sure it is you that is filling out the form with the correct details and not someone else, so why bother with the home forms.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

david63 wrote: 12 May 2022, 09:26
Jan Rosser wrote: 12 May 2022, 09:04
Despite filling in health forms online we still had to fill them in again on an iPad at the terminal- no explanation given
In fairness all the pre cruise emails do say that you have to re do the health declaration at the terminal.
Oops must have missed that - I didn’t print it out anyway so at least saved a tree I suppose because it wasn’t looked at likewise the travel insurance and vaccination status - all stored on the phone.
Janis

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Saturday 14th May
First job today was doing the Covid tests. Just as well I had a plan B as the appointments at the local Lloyds Pharmacy were cancelled on Thursday. I used Medispot for the tests (note: when you order these tests on line you can buy a “spare” at half price). I previously registered the tests – the only confusing part was the flight time and destination (I used my check in time and first port of call), obviously designed for flights and not cruises.

Both tests done and, fortunately, both negative (cannot believe the stress levels at this point – I can’t imagine what it must have been like waiting at the terminal!), photos taken and uploaded and certificates emailed back within 15 minutes. Last tree from the rainforest used to print the certificates off and all paperwork done.

Theoretically I should have been able to book entertainment today for the second cruise but when I go to it (really only want to see who/what is on) it basically says just turn up – so it looks as if some more restrictions are being lifted.

We had what was probably one of the best joutny’s down today to where we are staying overnight – Donnington Valley, which just leaves us with about an hour’s drive in the morning.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Glad your tests were negative. I know what you mean about stress waiting for a negative even when doing a LFT just before. We went on a FO in August tested before leaving home again before going to the check and still was on tender hooks but worth it in the end😁
We go on our next FO at the beginning of June

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You were lucky to get the certificate back within 15 mins David as the web site site states within 2 hrs. 8think my stress levels would be through the roof if I had to wait two hours.

https://tests.medicspot.co.uk/?gclid=Cj ... =medicspot

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I think you will find that they all say "up to" two hours and I have also noticed that they only supply cetificates between certain hours

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Hi David,

If at all possible can you let me know if the porters were in evidence at your arrival at the Ocean Terminal today? I'm hearing conflicting reports as to their availability. They are so useful to unload cases from the car and put into the "hole in the wall" especially for someone like me who does not travel light!
In any event have a wonderful cruise, and who knows we may bump into each other on B 214!

Regards

Maureen

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 15 May 2022, 08:31
I think you will find that they all say "up to" two hours and I have also noticed that they only supply cetificates between certain hours

…..or, within 2 hours as per web link

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

MaureenB wrote: 15 May 2022, 12:18
Hi David,

If at all possible can you let me know if the porters were in evidence at your arrival at the Ocean Terminal today? I'm hearing conflicting reports as to their availability. They are so useful to unload cases from the car and put into the "hole in the wall" especially for someone like me who does not travel light!
There were plenty of porters in evidence when we arrived - trouble was they were all stood around watch passengers struggle with their luggage crossing the road to the "hole in the wall"

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 15 May 2022, 16:41
MaureenB wrote: 15 May 2022, 12:18
Hi David,

There were plenty of porters in evidence when we arrived - trouble was they were all stood around watch passengers struggle with their luggage crossing the road to the "hole in the wall"

Lazy s*ds.

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”