Tipping After Covid

Topics relating to P&O

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Tipping After Covid

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 11:30
Here's a tip...............do the job your paid to do and think yourself lucky your in employment.

Now where did I put my tin hat :D
I don’t know but I’ll supply the stones :thumbup: :D

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We have done 3 cruises since Covid - all p and o - sadly none of them worthy of any tip..😡

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 18:05
We have done 3 cruises since Covid - all p and o - sadly none of them worthy of any tip..😡
Why, LadyP, if you don't mind me asking? Was it still Covid issues, or something else?
We are due next month to pay the balance on J219, Eastern Med and Greek Islands, and are still in two minds, having cancelled two cruises last year. What would you advise?
Last edited by kaymar on 15 Jun 2022, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’d say go for it kaymar.

We are off to Norway on Auroara next month. Like you we were in two minds about not paying the balance and cancelling, but then thought, at some point we’ve got to take the plunge if we want to carry on cruising so why not now.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 20:46
Why, LadyP, if you don't mind me asking? Was it still Covid issues, or something else?
We are due next month to pay the balance on J219, Eastern Med and Greek Islands, and are still in two minds, having cancelled two cruises last year. What would you advise?
To add some balance - on our b2b Britannia cruises last week we had some of the best service that I have ever seen on P&O - yes there were a few areas with issues but overall the staff and service was excellent.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Our only gripes were with the waiters ( or lack of them) and just general lack of experience ie champagne served in a hot bucket and then served in tumblers… cold soup - frozen cheese 😂- I am led to believe from friends that have cruised recently that standards have greatly improved and it’s business as usual 👏👏- we will still be cruising with p and o again 👍

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Stephen wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 07:21

We are off to Norway on Auroara next month. Like you we were in two minds about not paying the balance and cancelling, but then thought, at some point we’ve got to take the plunge if we want to carry on cruising so why not now.
Thanks, Stephen. I think we are probably 60/40 in favour, we just want to be as sure as we can that we will be able to get off the ship at all the scheduled ports of call. Sea days are OK but the itinerary is more important to us. We're also booked on Aurora to Norway in March next year, hoping to see the Northern Lights. Have a great trip and we look forward to your report.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 14:30
Our only gripes were with the waiters ( or lack of them) and just general lack of experience ie champagne served in a hot bucket and then served in tumblers… cold soup - frozen cheese 😂- I am led to believe from friends that have cruised recently that standards have greatly improved and it’s business as usual 👏👏- we will still be cruising with p and o again 👍
Thanks, LPC. A tumbler of warm champagne might put me off as well :lol: and there is no excuse for frozen cheese. Glad it hasn't turned you off all together, though.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 08:03
kaymar wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 20:46
To add some balance - on our b2b Britannia cruises last week we had some of the best service that I have ever seen on P&O - yes there were a few areas with issues but overall the staff and service was excellent.
Thanks for that David. Wrong thread but thank you also for your very useful reports on your B2B which appeared to have improved as it went on (the cruise, not the reports, which were all good :) ) All very relevant and informative.

As I said earlier to Stephen, we are still a little wary of covid on board but also want clarification on ports of call before we commit. Having said that, we are told that the infection rate on the Isle of Man right now, following TT fortnight, is 4x higher than anywhere else in the UK so maybe the sooner we get away the better! Even a coach journey from the Tickled Trout to Southampton should be safer :)
Last edited by kaymar on 16 Jun 2022, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 14:55
also want clarification on ports of call before we commit
That may be a bit more difficult as no cruise line will be able to do that "for operational reasons". From my recent experience it would appear that some of the European cruise ports have not, as yet, got their act together after Covid and are struggling, and in fairness P&O are aware of this and will divert as necessary.
kaymar wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 14:38
We're also booked on Aurora to Norway in March next year, hoping to see the Northern Lights.
Hope you have better luck than we did - standing out gazing at the a cloudy midnight sky when the temperature was -16C was not my idea of fun - but with the Northern Lights there are no guarantees. (if you do go use a private company to go and try to see the lights rather than a P&O trip - we did and they were brilliant. Can try and find them if you want more details)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 14:30

I assume you sent it all back and requested one of my compo forms :D

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 15:18
kaymar wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 14:55
also want clarification on ports of call before we commit
That may be a bit more difficult as no cruise line will be able to do that "for operational reasons". From my recent experience it would appear that some of the European cruise ports have not, as yet, got their act together after Covid and are struggling, and in fairness P&O are aware of this and will divert as necessary.

Yes, David, I'm hoping that either P&O or Bolsover will be able to give us at least some sort of update before final payment is due.
We're also booked on Aurora to Norway in March next year, hoping to see the Northern Lights.
Hope you have better luck than we did - standing out gazing at the a cloudy midnight sky when the temperature was -16C was not my idea of fun - but with the Northern Lights there are no guarantees. (if you do go use a private company to go and try to see the lights rather than a P&O trip - we did and they were brilliant. Can try and find them if you want more details)
Yes, there is an element of pot luck about it, isn't there? There is a theory that around the equinox tends to have a decent success rate, but we shall see (or not!) I did some research on Glod but if you have a good experience of another private company, it would be good to compare. Like you, we used a private company in St Petersburg and didn't regret it for a moment - they were also brilliant. I'm afraid the P&O excursions just don't appeal for something like that.

Keith
Last edited by kaymar on 16 Jun 2022, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 22:18
I did some research on Glod but if you have a good experience of another private company
It was Glod that we used and they were good. Despite what they originally told us about meeting up in town they picked us up from the ship and returned us back there. Would certainly use them again - if we ever went to try and see the NL

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 07:21

Thanks, Stephen. I think we are probably 60/40 in favour, we just want to be as sure as we can that we will be able to get off the ship at all the scheduled ports of call. Sea days are OK but the itinerary is more important to us. We're also booked on Aurora to Norway in March next year, hoping to see the Northern Lights. Have a great trip and we look forward to your report.
We are on Britannia at present and going ashore is back to pre covid normality in Spain so far, we have Italy and France over the next 3 days, so will see how they are. No masks needed for passengers, and crew usage will be reviewed next month.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

How is the temperature where you are John. It's a scorcher here today. 34deg in the shade

Have a great time :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It's a balmy 17° here, raining and blowing a gale. Just think what you are missing.
Have a good cruise.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

27c here and sunshine but rain all day tomorrow
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

35 deg today in Palma Mallorca, too hot to do much but sit in the shade and keep hydrated, I understand your heatwave at home ends today!
We will probably give our steward a tip, maybe £20 or a bit more if he continues to excel.
Last edited by towny44 on 17 Jun 2022, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 08:16
kaymar wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 22:18
I did some research on Glod but if you have a good experience of another private company
It was Glod that we used and they were good. Despite what they originally told us about meeting up in town they picked us up from the ship and returned us back there. Would certainly use them again - if we ever went to try and see the NL
Thanks, David, that's good to know.

K

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 17:06
35 deg today in Palma Mallorca, too hot to do much but sit in the shade and keep hydrated, I understand your heatwave at home ends today!
We will probably give our steward a tip, maybe £20 or a bit more if he continues to excel.

Not quite John. 24 deg tomorrow with a real feel of 27 ☀️ :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 17:06
OW much :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

No wonder they turn their nose up when I give them a fiver. 😲

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 09:38
No wonder they turn their nose up when I give them a fiver. 😲

Ow much :shock:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I must just be a mean bugger. I'm a decent tipper but firm believer that if they are included I'm not paying twice.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Exactly ...

For the non believers ; next time you pay the final balance don't forget to add £50. It'll make you look a real dipstick good.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “P&O”