Andalsnes Scenic Rauma Railway - Norway

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Andalsnes Scenic Rauma Railway - Norway

Post by Stephen »

Has anyone done the Andalsnes Scenic Rauma Railway excursion in Norway and was it worth the money?

Do P&O reserve seats on the train or is it a free for all with standing room only?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Andalsnes Scenic Rauma Railway - Norway

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 09:57
Do P&O reserve seats on the train or is it a free for all with standing room only?
Based on my experiences of P&O excursions I would guess at the latter

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve done this trip Stephen and it really is a spectacular train journey. From what I can remember the trains were very modern and carriages were reserved for P&O passengers - no standing! I’ll check with family but I seem to think one way we travelled by coach and returned by train - my daughter-in-law does a photo book of each cruise so they’ll check it out.
Janis

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks Jan that would be helpful.

Yes, from what I've read it's coach one way and train the other. It's by no means a cheap excursion which is why I am enquiring about guaranteed seating for P&O passengers on the train. If it's a case of 'hopefully' getting a seat then it's a no no for me.
Last edited by Stephen on 27 Jun 2022, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

My experience of P&O excursions is that whilst they do reserve carriages it is a survival of the fittest if you want a window seat hopefully to get some photos. We have often found ourselves in aisle seats whilst the window seats are taken up by those who have little or no interest in taking in the scenery.
On one occasion we were stuck in an aisle seat (on the Amalfi coast tour) whilst the nearest window seat was taken up by somebody having a sleep!!!
It seems you are best to get your elbows in and join the melee to make sure you get a good view.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:29
We have often found ourselves in aisle seats whilst the window seats are taken up by those who have little or no interest in taking in the scenery.
Or those who think that they are in the buffet and have to sit opposite one another taking up both window seats and putting their bags, coats and other accoutrements on the other seats just in case somebody was to actually want/need to sit there.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

david63 wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:47
Or those who think that they are in the buffet and have to sit opposite one another taking up both window seats and putting their bags, coats and other accoutrements on the other seats just in case somebody was to actually want/need to sit there.
Or those who sit in the buffet by the window at busy lunchtime reading a book whilst others are wandering around with their trays looking for a seat!! :evil:
Or those who save their place by laying their walking stick on the table :sick:
Don't get me started!!!!

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:58
david63 wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:47
Or those who sit in the buffet by the window at busy lunchtime reading a book whilst others are wandering around with their trays looking for a seat!! :evil:
Or those who save their place by laying their walking stick on the table :sick:
Don't get me started!!!!

Go on Foxy, let it all out, you know you want to :lol:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I turned green at the mention of the walking stick reservation of table Foxy - bags and towels are just as bad - no no no :thumbdown:
Janis

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:29
My experience of P&O excursions is that whilst they do reserve carriages it is a survival of the fittest if you want a window seat hopefully to get some photos. We have often found ourselves in aisle seats whilst the window seats are taken up by those who have little or no interest in taking in the scenery.
On one occasion we were stuck in an aisle seat (on the Amalfi coast tour) whilst the nearest window seat was taken up by somebody having a sleep!!!
It seems you are best to get your elbows in and join the melee to make sure you get a good view.

I feel a severe cough coming on when we board the train :D

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Just sneeze and cough and keep saying how ill you feel and before long you'll have the whole carriage to yourself. 👍

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

They would of course have un-coupled it from the rest of the carriages :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”