Thinking of cruising again.

Topics for those cruising on their own

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Thinking of cruising again.

Post by CaroleF »

I was last on a cruise in September 2019 when John and I went on the Aurora Circumnavigation of South America. John died in December 2020. We did over 30 cruises, most of them with P&O so I'm very familiar with how P&O works. I'm now thinking of cruising again. Initially I'm possibly looking to do just a four night cruise with one of my daughters who's happy to accompany me just to give me some reassurance the first time I dip my toe in as it were. She's never been on a cruise before. We would have separate cabins and I realise that this will incur the dreaded single supplement and yes I know it would be cheaper if we were to share. I have a few questions that I hope some of you will be able to help me with.

Assuming I pay for two cabins and I'm the one who does the booking and am the lead passeneger do I still have to link the bookings so that we are treated as being together?
I'm at Baltic level, my daughter's never cruised before. Would she be able to join me at the Priority Lunch on boarding?
As far as dinner is concerned John and I always had a table of 8 second sitting. Firstly cruising with my daughter I know that Freedom Dining is more popular than Club but if I stuck with Club would First Sitting be more popular, assuming its available, in that we would be more likely to have a full table of 8? What I mean is, if we went with Second Sitting would it be more likely that there would be fewer people therefore a table for 8 may only have four or six on it?
The same question really if, in future I were to cruise on my own would I be better to ask for First Sitting Club Dining rather than Second Sitting?

I intend to book through Bolsover with whom I've always booked before just because I think I'll get better information and availability of cabins than if I phone P&O. On the P&O page they only ever show one cabin in a particular grade to be available whereas I know from old that they're are often several cabins available. Also I think I need to have a conversation with Bolsover before actually booking and yes I realise that if there's a gap between phoning and then phoning back to book a particular cabin may have gone.

John told me and my two girls that he hoped I'd go back to cruising so this is my first attempt. I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.

Carole

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of cruising again.

Post by david63 »

CaroleF wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 12:24
Assuming I pay for two cabins and I'm the one who does the booking and am the lead passeneger do I still have to link the bookings so that we are treated as being together?
As they will be two separate bookings then yes they will need to be linked.
I'm at Baltic level, my daughter's never cruised before. Would she be able to join me at the Priority Lunch on boarding?
Only P&O can answer that, and I suspect you will get six different answers to the question. There are reports that some have done it and other reports that it is a no, no. Depending on which ship you are going on why not take the stress out of that and go to the Glass House (if it s open when you sail)?
if I stuck with Club would First Sitting be more popular
First sitting is always more popular
if we went with Second Sitting would it be more likely that there would be fewer people therefore a table for 8 may only have four or six on it?
My experience on Britannia earlier in the year was that they filled up tables for eight leaving other tables emplty.
if, in future I were to cruise on my own would I be better to ask for First Sitting Club Dining rather than Second Sitting?
I think only you can answer that question.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

My initial thoughts are to suggest that you reconsider sharing a cabin with your daughter but to book a mid ships suite for the ' extra space '. You would be the lead passenger and there should not be any of the issues that concern you.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Manoverboard wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 13:05
My initial thoughts are to suggest that you reconsider sharing a cabin with your daughter but to book a mid ships suite for the ' extra space '. You would be the lead passenger and there should not be any of the issues that concern you.
and a suite might well work out cheaper than 2 singles
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

ps ... I am also thinking that twin beds, rather than Super-King, would be the way to go.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

I was last on a cruise in September 2019

John told me and my two girls that he hoped I'd go back to cruising so this is my first attempt. I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.

Carole
Go for it Carole and enjoy the cruise. On the first night in the bar/restaurants, raise a glass to John.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I don't wish to put a dampner on your Baltic tier status Carole but unless I'm reading it wrong you may go down to Caribbean tier.

Baltic Tier
You will have at least 2501 points and would have spent 80 to 200 nights on board within the 3 years preceding the start of your next cruise. If you don’t manage to spend at least 80 nights with us, you’ll simply move to the Caribbean Tier and continue to enjoy a whole host of loyalty benefits.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 15:46
I don't wish to put a dampner on your Baltic tier status Carole but unless I'm reading it wrong you may go down to Caribbean tier.

Baltic Tier
You will have at least 2501 points and would have spent 80 to 200 nights on board within the 3 years preceding the start of your next cruise. If you don’t manage to spend at least 80 nights with us, you’ll simply move to the Caribbean Tier and continue to enjoy a whole host of loyalty benefits.
Tier status was fixed at the level as Covid struck, and no change to that has been advised, as yet.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks John.

I stand corrected :thumbup:

Perhaps P&O need to make that clear on their website, unless of course it is mentioned in the bowels of their T'&C's
Last edited by Stephen on 18 Aug 2022, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 15:55
Tier status was fixed at the level as Covid struck, and no change to that has been advised, as yet.
Not sure that is correct - we were Baltic pre Covid (just) and are now back down to Caribbean

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 16:07
towny44 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 15:55
Not sure that is correct - we were Baltic pre Covid (just) and are now back down to Caribbean
We were frozen at Baltic level, I can only assume that you had missed the min 80 nights in 3 years just before covid struck.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 16:16
I can only assume that you had missed the min 80 nights in 3 years just before covid struck.
Nope - as we came off Ventura we had 83 nights in the three years

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Pre covid I was on Baltic tier, just this week had an email from P and O confirming that I am still Baltic tier. Am sailing in December.
P and O have kindly given me a Christmas gift of extra extra obc today.

Lindsey

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I too had an email earlier this week from P&O confirming I am still in the Baltic tier. However, if I'm only doing 4 nights next year I realise I may well slip down at some point.
Thank you all for your thoughts about me returning to cruising. I have now booked with Bolsover and my daughter and I are doing the 4 night cruise on Aurora next April - assuming P&O don't sell her in the meantime, perish the thought. We have decided to stick to Club Dining. I'm also having a Queen bed not twins. I couldn't face the sight of an empty single bed. I realise I'll still have an empty half of a Queen size but I'm used to an empty side at home so it won't be much difference.
Bolsover were very helpful. I had a long conversation with the agent and she arranged to phone me back at 7pm before she went home after I'd had a chance to speak to my daughter. It felt very odd to be booking a cruise again. The bookings are linked and we both have our own booking reference although all the paperwork is being sent to me. It's only a stop in Amsterdam but actually that's not very important to me, it's being on the ship and seeing what it feels like to be on a cruise ship again.
I will do a report afterwards as I used to do.

My daughter says she's really looking forward to her first cruise experience. Hopefully she'll then consider a cruise with the rest of her family.

Carole

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 17:24
towny44 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 16:16
I can only assume that you had missed the min 80 nights in 3 years just before covid struck.
Nope - as we came off Ventura we had 83 nights in the three years
Have you sailed with P&O since covid, were these at Baltic tier? Do you have cruises booked in the future, if so then have any of these been confirmed as Baltic level? If none of these then I am at a loss to know why you have slupped down the tiers.
Last edited by towny44 on 18 Aug 2022, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
John

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I never thought of david as being a 'slupper' :)
Last edited by Kendhni on 19 Aug 2022, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Carole

I have now booked with Bolsover and my daughter and I are doing the 4 night cruise on Aurora next April - assuming P&O don't sell her in the meantime,

My wife and another couple were chatting to the Captain Love one morning when we were on Aurora a few weeks ago. The conversation came up about Aurora and how much longer she will be in the fleet. The Captain said he thinks she’ll be around for another five years yet.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 07:27
I never thought of david as being a 'slupper' :)

A slapper, yes :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 22:34
Have you sailed with P&O since covid
Yes - you know I have!
were these at Baltic tier?
No
Do you have cruises booked in the future
Yes
if so then have any of these been confirmed as Baltic level?
No - but some of the ones that were cancelled said that we were Baltic
If none of these then I am at a loss to know why you have slupped down the tiers.
My guess is that as we hadn't actually cruised at Baltic level then it was not applied. It really isn't a problem as the Baltic additional benefits are not that great anyway.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We went up a tier after our last cruise to Mediterranean level. Whoo oow, get the bunting out. :sarcasm:

On the plus side though we now get 8.5% discount and a cocktail party thrown in. Not forgetting the P&O slippers and lapel pin :D

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 08:22
Have you sailed with P&O since covid
Yes - you know I have!
were these at Baltic tier?
No
Do you have cruises booked in the future
Yes
if so then have any of these been confirmed as Baltic level?
No - but some of the ones that were cancelled said that we were Baltic
If none of these then I am at a loss to know why you have slupped down the tiers.
My guess is that as we hadn't actually cruised at Baltic level then it was not applied. It really isn't a problem as the Baltic additional benefits are not that great anyway.
I would query that with the loyalty team, I am sure they will have their own e-mail address.
PS am I supposed to remember everyones cruise history?
Last edited by towny44 on 19 Aug 2022, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Here is the loyalty email address if required

loyalty@pocruises.com

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 09:15
I would query that with the loyalty team,
As I said the benefits are not that great and I would probably drop down a tier soon anyway
You are when I was acting as your personal cruise consultant :roll: :roll:
Last edited by david63 on 19 Aug 2022, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:48
I would query that with the loyalty team,
As I said the benefits are not that great and I would probably drop down a tier soon anyway
You are when I was acting as your personal cruise consultant :roll: :roll:
I plead the 5th. :shock:
Last edited by towny44 on 19 Aug 2022, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
John

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Yesterday I was searching for the most recent brochure I had which turned out to be 2013, not that recent then! I do like to look at cabin numbers on paper rather than on the screen. Then I found the Deck Plans of Aurora that I must have taken with me on our 2018 cruise. I tend to tear them out, cellotape them together and take them with me on the cruise, much more useful than the tiny, pocket size one you are given on boarding. This one was of course before Aurora had all the children's facilities taken out and more cabins put in. Then I found a brochure dated 2004! It was our first cruise on the old Adonia that I had that for. The difference between then and now was amazing. Of the four ships included only Aurora remains - the others Adonia, Oceana and Oriana. There were so many lovely pictures and facts about the four ships. Each cruise had its own name then, our Adonia cruise was called Mexican and Caribbean Mix. A whole page was devoted to each cruise, with a small picture of the map of the itinerary and then the rest of the page was about each stop. Prices were on the same page. Those were the days. Then the deck plans were spread out so you didn't have to get a magnifying glass to read the cabin numbers. After the plans there were 18 pages devoted to all things people might like to know including How to Book and General Information. There was certainly enough to make people excited about their first cruise reading a brochure like that. I'm not sure anyone's going to get excited perusing the current brochure, but then I expect many passengers don't even see a brochure, it's all on line. Those were the days!

Carole

Return to “Cruising for Single Travellers”