EU 90 days in 180 stays

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

EU 90 days in 180 stays

Post by allatc »

If you fly or take a ferry into an EU country I am told you get entry and exit stamps in your passport.

What is happening on cruises that call into EU ports ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EU 90 days in 180 stays

Post by david63 »

allatc wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:09
As far as I am aware - nothing (or at least that was the case in June)

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We are thinking of driving to Spain next year and saw this in the Telegraph for travelers from UK

Every time they seek to enter the EU they will be expected to show a facial image and provide four fingerprints from which only children aged under 12 will be exempt.

The regime - which applies to entry through any EU port, airport or border checkpoint for non-EU traveller's.

The regulation sets out that all adults and teenagers will have to provide not only biometric data of facial image and fingerprints but also personal data including first name and surname, date of birth, nationality, sex as well as the travel document and the three-letter code of the issuing country of the document.

No mention about arriving by cruise ship.
Don't worry, be happy

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

2 cruises since June, Canaries. Spain and Portugal. Not asked for anything at all.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Ray B wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:48
The regulation sets out that all adults and teenagers will have to provide not only biometric data of facial image and fingerprints but also personal data including first name and surname, date of birth, nationality, sex as well as the travel document and the three-letter code of the issuing country of the document.
Of course none of that is new other than the fingerprints. The rest is already on your biometric passport. I believe they are planning some electronic system for capturing the fingerprints. I've no idea how it will work for cruise ships either, but then again we've never had to individually produce passports at ports of call in the EU before even though we did if arriving by plane.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ray B wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:48
We are thinking of driving to Spain next year and saw this in the Telegraph for travelers from UK

Every time they seek to enter the EU they will be expected to show a facial image and provide four fingerprints from which only children aged under 12 will be exempt.

The regime - which applies to entry through any EU port, airport or border checkpoint for non-EU traveller's.

No mention about arriving by cruise ship.
Surely if you present your passport all of the above data,
should be stored in your passport, so why would this info not be suitable for the EU. Just because we are no longer a member should not invalidate the rrading of any data held in regard to every passport.
Of course that would make most of the passport control staff redundant which of course would hurt the EU employment stats.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

On our cruise in July, there was no change from previous.
At Lexios for Porto, there was actually nobody at all at immigration.
Literally nobody.
Seems weird that they are so strict at Dover but nothing anywhere else.
I wonder if on a cruise, they just log it as everyone got off and everyone got back on.
The best advice is to avoid Dover during the peak period.
There were horrendous queues on the first and last days of the school holidays so the obvious answer is avoid those days.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm sure they'll be more hurt if they put off tourists visiting. The place we go most often in Madeira and they're falling over themselves to continue making Brits feel welcome and already have electronic gates for UK passengers. My guess is they will have a fingerprint scan for first visits and as you suggest store it electronically, if not of your passport which I suspect is "read only", but on their systems to automatically sync next time you arrive.

I must say I'm envious of those who can afford to be on holiday in the EU for half the year! I'm sure I can't.

p.s. Had a holiday near Dover last year. Not ready for another yet!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Oct 2022, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Same in Malta Merv.
The non EU channel (for Brits) is actually faster than the normal ones.
They do stamp in and out but it doesn’t cause delays.
The guy on exit didn’t even look at the passport.
Just opened at a random page and stamped it.
He looked bored out of his skull 😂

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

If you fly or take a ferry into an EU country I am told you get entry and exit stamps in your passport.

In September, when we travelled, very little was different apart from queues at the 'non EU citizens' immigration gates at the airport (our friends had to queue for about 10-15 minutes whereas we walked straight through the EU citizens line and had luggage collected by the time they got through).

However, from early next year you will have to get an ETIAS (the EU equivalent of an ESTA). It will be 7Euro and last for 3 years.
https://etias.com/etias-requirements/et ... h-citizens

After that I suspect it will be similar to a Caribbean cruise ... checked on entry and assumed until departure.
Last edited by Kendhni on 15 Oct 2022, 21:28, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Kendhni wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 21:20

After that I suspect it will be similar to a Caribbean cruise ... checked on entry and assumed until departure.
As I recall from Caribbean cruises (on Princess) the procedure for "American" islands like St Thomas was more rigorous than for the others.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I have no problem with the Visa but I do have an issue with being finger printed.
I think that will be a step too far for us and we’ll avoid EU countries if that’s the requirement.
Smacks a bit of China and Russia more than Europe.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

More US. That's the only place I've been fingerprinted at immigration.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 16 Oct 2022, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 16:20
I’m curious to see how it will work at Dover in peak season.
I suppose they will stick an Ipad device through the car window?

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

allatc wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 15:28
Kendhni wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 21:20

As I recall from Caribbean cruises (on Princess) the procedure for "American" islands like St Thomas was more rigorous than for the others.
True, most of our trips are with P&O from Barbados which is a bit different ... last time we visited an American island was in 2010 ... I remember having to do something.

With travel to Europe I am guessing, for those travelling on British passports, it will be a case of passing immigration on the way into Europe and then again on the way out ... I very much doubt that immigration will have to be repeated at every port. If fly/cruising through Malta or any other European port immigration will probably be done at the embarkation/disembarkation airports; if sailing from Southampton it may be done as part of embarkation or may be done onboard at the first European port. We just need to wait and see.

BTW bookmark that ETIAS site ... it wouldn't surprise me if there was a flurry of scam sites being set up, and pushed to the top of google searches, to con people into paying much higher fees for filling in a simple form. The site allows you to sign up to their email system to be kept informed (I have signed up).

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Same here ... no big deal, just takes about 20-30 seconds longer than before.
Although I need to work on my accent when talking to US immigration ... many years ago I was wearing a long coat and the agent asked me what the bulge was ... I replied 'bum bag' ... the agent suddenly looked like a deer in headlights and luckily I immediately said 'fanny pack' ... he told me that at first he thought I had said 'bomb bag' ... nearly a visit to a rubber cladded proctologist.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 16:55
Same here ... no big deal, just takes about 20-30 seconds longer than before.
Although I need to work on my accent when talking to US immigration ... many years ago I was wearing a long coat and the agent asked me what the bulge was ... I replied 'bum bag' ... the agent suddenly looked like a deer in headlights and luckily I immediately said 'fanny pack' ... he told me that at first he thought I had said 'bomb bag' ... nearly a visit to a rubber cladded proctologist.

It’s when you hear the twang of the rubber glove you need to start worrying :)

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Singapore.
Mel

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Canadian Airport for flight to Vegas.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”